I finally listed my old amplifier

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
steve_1979 said:
I use eBay regularly but have found that forums are are better for selling hifi equipment. Personally I've had luck selling on AVForum and the HDDaudio forum. PFM forum has a good second hand section too although I've only ever bought from there.

The problem with many forums is they have limited numbers of people who want to look rather than buy. If you really need to sell soonest then the only way is to get them on eBay with a vast audience of people who are generally looking to actually buy.

You might get better money on some forums but you could wait a long time to get the price you want and that's the point, you have to quote a price rather than entering a bidding war where others decide what they are worth.

If you are prepared to hold out for the longer term to get the price you have quoted then try various forums or Hififorsale or the like.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
steve_1979 said:
I use eBay regularly but have found that forums are are better for selling hifi equipment. Personally I've had luck selling on AVForum and the HDDaudio forum. PFM forum has a good second hand section too although I've only ever bought from there.

The problem with many forums is they have limited numbers of people who want to look rather than buy. If you really need to sell soonest then the only way is to get them on eBay with a vast audience of people who are generally looking to actually buy.

You might get better money on some forums but you could wait a long time to get the price you want and that's the point, you have to quote a price rather than entering a bidding war where others decide what they are worth.

If you are prepared to hold out for the longer term to get the price you have quoted then try various forums or Hififorsale or the like.

Yes that's a good point. Sometimes you can get lucky and sell straight away on a forum but all to often it will take a month or two (or more) before you get a bite.

eBay selling is generally a much quicker. Although if you only offer 'collection only' you may have to relist few times before someone local sees your advert. If you're willing to post eBay is usually sells straight away (unless you are asking too high a price).

insider9

Macspur said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
amp sold ok and picked up ok and buyer seems happy with the amp *smile*

Good news!  Now what?

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
Mac, you're being cheeky. We all know what happens now.

Sabbath's wife books a holiday and the money is gone :) If she's anything like some, she already did earlier in the week and just told him that first £800 is due today.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Considering Dali rubicon 6s or 8s and thinking would they be a farther step up in sound quality and they are not far of Dali epicon 6s sound quality but richer sounds said they would have my opticon’s back without any lose of money and upgrade to the rubicon 6s or the 8s *scratch_one-s_head*

i have had a demo with the Dali rubicon 5s And 6s but the 6s where demoed with a luxman amplifier and the 5s where demoed with a Cambridge audio amplifier and at the time the 5s in richer sounds small demo room sounded very bass heavy but the amplifier they used had plenty of muscle

The rubicon 6s sounded better with the luxman amplifier at a different place I went to for a demo and the room was a big room so I am still thinking what to do really because the opticon 8s sound pretty good as you know insider when you came round mine but now I have the Yamaha A-S3000 would the Dali rubicons shine better then the opticons ? I just do not know

insider9

My reply somehow didn't send.

Sabbath, two days ago I'd say get speakers now I think it's probably source I'd do next in your case.

I'll add this RS offer is a good one as you're not losing on it.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
My reply somehow didn't send.

Sabbath, two days ago I'd say get speakers now I think it's probably source I'd do next in your case.

I'll add this RS offer is a good one as you're not losing on it.
And the longer I leave it they might end up changing there minds as I have had my opticon 8s now more then 12 months probably 18 months I can’t remember now but I have had them quite awhile .

gasolin

The Rubicons are also 4 ohm speakers so you have 200 watt dynamic in 4 ohm

Both are rated to 38hz but the 8's are rated to 90.5 db where the smaller 6's are rated to 88.5db

Thought the 8's would have 8" woofer they don't they have 3x 6½ rubicon 6 2x6½ " woofers

Opticons are also 4 ohm and 38hz, 88db and 2x 8" woofers 300watt (rubicon 6 200watt and rubicon 8 250watt)

I think you would lose something with the rubicons 6 since you already have2 tweeters,1 midrange (as big as the rubicons bass) and 2x 8" bass, you would also have more power (sensitivity and max power) with the 8's.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
The Rubicons are also 4 ohm speakers so you have 200 watt dynamic in 4 ohm

Both are rated to 38hz but the 8's are rated to 90.5 db where the smaller 6's are rated to 88.5db

Thought the 8's would have 8" woofer they don't they have 3x 6½ rubicon 6 2x6½ " woofers

Opticons are also 4 ohm and 38hz, 88db and 2x 8" woofers 300watt (rubicon 6 200watt and rubicon 8 250watt)

I think you would lose something with the rubicons 6 since you already have2 tweeters,1 midrange (as big as the rubicons bass) and 2x 8" bass, you would also have more power (sensitivity and max power) with the 8's.
yes I would probably go for the rubicon 8s but it’s still a hard choice the opticon 8s are very good even though they are half the price of the rubicons but I do love my danish speakers .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
I'd take thier hand off, they must love you there this would be a third free upgrade.
the trouble is that offer was a couple of months ago the last time I went to the store so not sure if it still stands or not but will phone Monday when they are quite as Saturdays are busy for them but if it doesn’t I will stick with what I’ve got for now

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
JamesMellor said:
I'd take thier hand off, they must love you there this would be a third free upgrade.

Only one, from the rubicon 6 to the 8's right BS
I had the opticon 6s before I got the opticon 8s and richer sounds was very good then and let me upgrade to the 8s without any loss of money because I think they knew I had my eye on the opticon 8s from the start and the fact I had to pay the difference which was good for them as well as I got what I wanted and they got a sell .

My opticon 8s are mint and I have the boxes so they know I look after my stuff it’s just an extended demo *biggrin* anyway I will wait till Monday to find out if they will let me upgrade still they might say no yet. .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
The speakers you have now are 8 inch bass woofers.

Imo I'd under no circumstances change to a 6 inch woofer even if the speaker was an upgrade.
I'd rather go for the 8 inch version.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
The speakers you have now are 8 inch bass woofers.

Imo I'd under no circumstances change to a 6 inch woofer even if the speaker was an upgrade. I'd rather go for the 8 inch version.
hi Andrew

yes it would be the Dali rubicon 8s because my opticon 8s sound a lot better with the bigger drivers it’s not that the 6’’ drivers are bad you just get better impact with the 8” drivers and a bigger cabinet which helps I reckon then a smaller cabinet *smile*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
amp sold ok and picked up ok and buyer seems happy with the amp *smile*

Excellent. :)
buyer messaged me to say he is over the moon with the amplifier and he is into vinyl as well and he said what ever I play sounds fantastic and puts my music onto a different level and he has left feedback to say he is happy .

i am happy that the amplifier has gone to a good home and it’s a bit of a shame that the amplifier only went for £800 but beggars can’t be choosers *smile* but had to pay £75 eBay fees so the amplifier went for £725 which is better then nothing .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
How much money do your new intended speakers cost?

I was just noticed a brilliant (hi-end) speaker that may suit you that looks great and has impactful sound. Maybe worth an audition. compared to the competition, these are a steal for the price.

Tannoy dc10Ti

Duel 10 inch drivers
With Concentric tweeter.
If I was going passive I'd definitely consider this one.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
How much money do your new intended speakers cost?

I was just noticed a brilliant (hi-end) speaker that may suit you that looks great and has impactful sound. Maybe worth an audition. compared to the competition, these are a steal for the price.

Tannoy dc10Ti

Duel 10 inch drivers With Concentric tweeter. If I was going passive I'd definitely consider this one.
well the dalis rubicon 8s are £4000 but did see ATC40s on the bay secondhand but do not really no what other speaker that will be a great match like my dalis are with yamaha sonic match and i do not know what the ATC will be like but have read they are not that good with bad recordings which is most of my music collection *smile* metal , rock but would be intrested in the KEF ref 3s but can not see any on Ebay secondhand mint

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I think if your buying new speakers you should just take a minute and go and demo a few alternatives just to be 100% on the Dali.
You will most probably just confirm your decision on the Rubicons but just in case you hear an alternative option as there are so many good ones for that budget

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
i am happy that the amplifier has gone to a good home and it’s a bit of a shame that the amplifier only went for £800 but beggars can’t be choosers *smile* but had to pay £75 eBay fees so the amplifier went for £725 which is better then nothing .

All the more reason to wait for the £1 Maximum Selling Fees promotions that come up from time to time (it's £3 this weekend BTW). A big difference when you're talking a £800 item,

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I think if your buying new speakers you should just take a minute and go and demo a few alternatives just to be 100% on the Dali. You will most probably just confirm your decision on the Rubicons but just in case you hear an alternative option as there are so many good ones for that budget
I think what makes me nervous about changing speaker brands is how that brand will act in my room as my Dali opticon 8s act really well in my room with no bass overhang where some speakers can be a bit bass heavy which I do not want .

I understand that there are plenty of choices to look at but worried to make problems with sound in my room and the Dali’s are a very good match with Yamaha on a sonic level which can be a job to find a perfect match and took me a long time to find something that really matched up with Yamaha but what other speakers go with Yamaha I do not really no .

And I really like how clear sounding and detailed sounding my opticon 8s are with the correct amount of bass coming from a big speaker

And the Yamaha A-S3000 is pretty heavy to carry around on a demo with me but I’ve got some thinking to do weather I keep what I have or change

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
yeah it's a lot money and an important decision.
You have a base line of expectation and can only improve on it.

The bass in your room is the bass in your room.
unless the speaker really has a very different bass profile to what Dali put in you will get the same bass mate.

It's easy to check this upfront

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts