I finally listed my old amplifier

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

Yes, I understand if you're posting then PayPal isn't so much a problem. Although I'm not a big fan. However for collection EBay can't force you to accept PayPal. You can state in the listing PayPal isn't accepted.

If buyer wants to pay via PayPal and insist on collection I wouldn't proceed with the sale. Worse case scenario is you're giving away an amp for free.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
And yes I would also have some guitars up on the wall, along with my fav singers.

At some point their family and friends are going to report them missing, and then you'll be in deep sh-t :-D

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Yes, I understand if you're posting then PayPal isn't so much a problem. Although I'm not a big fan. However for collection EBay can't force you to accept PayPal. You can state in the listing PayPal isn't accepted.

If buyer wants to pay via PayPal and insist on collection I wouldn't proceed with the sale. Worse case scenario is you're giving away an amp for free.
great that makes me anxious .

eBay gives me no choice in the matter I have to select PayPal as well as payment on collection I’ve just tried it and took of PayPal off but when I go to revise my listing it says error you have to select PayPal

I would of thought I would be covered by PayPal anyway surely I mean I’ve sold stuff without a problem before on there the only difference is I am not posting this time .

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:

eBay gives me no choice in the matter I have to select PayPal as well as payment on collection I’ve just tried it and took of PayPal off but when I go to revise my listing it says error you have to select PayPal 

I would of thought I would be covered by PayPal anyway surely I mean I’ve sold stuff without a problem before on there the only difference is I am not posting this time  .
Never intended to make you anxious. But had poor experiences relating to people abusing EBay and PayPal. One chap damaged mint WXC-50 I sold so that he can return it. It cost me hassle and money and got damaged streamer back. One lady claimed she hasn't received an item when I sent it signed for. That time it didn't cost me but money was on hold for weeks.

99 times of a 100 ebay and PayPal will side with a buyer not seller.

What you need to do is state that if collecting in person PayPal isn't accepted since there will be not proof of delivery. I've done it with all the hifi I've sold in last year no one had an issue. Sold many amps for more than the Yammie will go for. Cash or bank transfer for collection item seems the most reasonable thing to do. You need to protect yourself.

And if the buyer insists and pays via PayPal I'd refund it. And if they make issues I'd cancel the sale. I'm sure most people would be honest but you only need to come across that one who will scam you out of your amp. Pays £1k via PayPal, collects and amp and the claims you never sent it. PayPal would refund him. The minute he clicks there is an issue money is on hold and there is an issue.

Not trying to make you anxious just aware.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Good points. I may add that if sold through ebay and using PayPal the buyer has a long time to raise a complaint. So even if the amp works fine for a month and then suddenly not ... you may be out of pocket as it would be increasingly difficult to claim carrier compensation. As was said, PayPal will immediately take the money out of your account and hold it until any dispute has been settled.

Sell expensive electronic goods collection only and cash on collection. Sold as seen.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:

I would of thought I would be covered by PayPal anyway surely I mean I’ve sold stuff without a problem before on there the only difference is I am not posting this time .
Never intended to make you anxious. But had poor experiences relating to people abusing EBay and PayPal. One chap damaged mint WXC-50 I sold so that he can return it. It cost me hassle and money and got damaged streamer back. One lady claimed she hasn't received an item when I sent it signed for. That time it didn't cost me but money was on hold for weeks.

What you need to do is state that if collecting in person PayPal isn't accepted since there will be not proof of delivery. I've done it with all the hifi I've sold in last year no one had an issue. Sold many amps for more than the Yammie will go for. Cash or bank transfer for collection item seems the most reasonable thing to do. You need to protect yourself.

And if the buyer insists and pays via PayPal I'd refund it. And if they make issues I'd cancel the sale. I'm sure most people would be honest but you only need to come across that one who will scam you out of your amp. Pays £1k via PayPal, collects and amp and the claims you never sent it. PayPal would refund him. The minute he clicks there is an issue money is on hold and there is an issue.

ok I have stated no PayPal in my listing but looked at the payment options and there is no bank transfer options

do you no I’ve revised my listing at least 20 times it’s bonkers

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:

I would of thought I would be covered by PayPal anyway surely I mean I’ve sold stuff without a problem before on there the only difference is I am not posting this time  .

ok I have stated no PayPal in my listing but looked at the payment options and there is no bank transfer options 

do you no I’ve revised my listing at least 20 times it’s bonkers 
No problems with that. As long as you get it right and sell with no issues. That's all that matters.

It's a shame that the rules allow for abuse. Too many scammers out there so gotta be careful.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
I'll settle for Mariah Carey on my wall :)

You're welcome to her, send me one of the Minogue sisters. Actually I'll take both, I don't even care that the eldest is pushing 50. To paraphrase Bernard Manning, if I can have Kylie Monigue tonight, you can happily shoot me in the morning.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
newlash09 said:
I'll settle for Mariah Carey on my wall :)

You're welcome to her, send me one of the Minogue sisters. Actually I'll take both, I don't even care that the eldest is pushing 50. To paraphrase Bernard Manning, if I can have Kylie Monigue tonight, you can happily shoot me in the morning.

Please take kylie minogue. I need a little more flesh on the bones. Just like my sound, nice but with more rounded leading edges of the notes :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I've just read your updated description and it's far better from a selling point imo.

I've sold quite a few amps on eBay over the last few years and have found it better to set a reservation price and start the bidding at £0.99,
rather than set a higher starting bid.

Just my 2 cents worth

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
I've just read your updated description and it's far better from a selling point imo.

I've sold quite a few amps on eBay over the last few years and have found it better to set a reservation price and start the bidding at £0.99, rather than set a higher starting bid.

Just my 2 cents worth

I agree with this.

A while back I had an amp up for sale at a Buy It Now price. Lots of views, lots of watchers, but no sale. I relisted it as an auction sale, started at 99p and it eventually sold for more than my original Buy It Now price. I couldn't figure out why, must be some pyschological reason probably.

DIB said:
Andrewjvt said:

I've sold quite a few amps on eBay over the last few years and have found it better to set a reservation price and start the bidding at £0.99, rather than set a higher starting bid.

Just my 2 cents worth

I agree with this.

A while back I had an amp up for sale at a Buy It Now price. Lots of views, lots of watchers, but no sale. I relisted it as an auction sale, started at 99p and it eventually sold for more than my original Buy It Now price. I couldn't figure out why, must be some pyschological reason probably.
Yes, I gather there’s some psychological reason along the lines of getting a bargain. But as an imminent seller myself of my old Krell, you need a degree of bravery to start at 99p.

I too read BS’ advert last night and I agree it’s very good.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:

Yes that seems to be true, so easy to say the item was damaged on delivery, Paypal often sides with buyer, seller gets back a wrecked item. If buyer collects maybe take some photos, showing him taking the amp away and loading into his car. Cash is ok, bank transfer make sure you have the money in your account before releasing.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
DIB said:
Andrewjvt said:

Just my 2 cents worth

I agree with this.

To get the best auction price you need bidders, the more the merrier. If you have a high reserve or high starting price it will put many biddders off. Many will bid at low prices and then drop out, that does not matter as long as you have several bidders left in, it maybe to do with momentum. I have got bargins on ebay because no one has bid and I just put in lowest price at last minute. I used to buy cameras but I found many were overpriced, you can often buy from a retailer at lower price with a warranty. Not bought/sold any hifi though.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I am not that brave to start the listing at 99p with reserve I will keep it as it is for now I have had some interest I will have to wait and see what happens

Its a honest sale and it’s a very good amplifier and a lot of amplifier for the money and you can hardly notice the 2 marks only when you look very close but if the amplifier doesn’t sell this week I will just put it back on again it’s not a problem .

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I am not that brave to start the listing at 99p with reserve I will keep it as it is for now I have had some interest I will have to wait and see what happens

Its a honest sale and it’s a very good amplifier and a lot of amplifier for the money and you can hardly notice the 2 marks only when you look very close but if the amplifier doesn’t sell this week I will just put it back on again it’s not a problem .

Yes I know it's difficult. There are hifi forums that have selling, some people find this better than ebay.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I am not that brave to start the listing at 99p with reserve

No bravery involved. If you list an item with say a £500 reserve, if bidding doesn't pass £500 it doesn't sell, no matter whether your starting price is 99p, 1p or £499.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I use eBay regularly but have found that forums are are better for selling hifi equipment. Personally I've had luck selling on AVForum and the HDDaudio forum. PFM forum has a good second hand section too although I've only ever bought from there.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
I too would be scared to list an expensive item with a 99p start, you may end up having to sell it for a few quid.

I doubt it, you will probably get many interested at a low price, have you ever watched auctions? They often have to drop the price right down to get the bidding started, soon the price is well above the starting price that no one would bid at.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:

If by any chance you do have to relist it on Ebay I would wait until they offer you the £1 maximum selling fees promotion. They do this quite regularly and for a high value item like yours there's a big difference between £1 and 10% of final selling price.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I will see how it goes on Friday but not going to stress over it as I can always use it as a fancy headphone amplifier *blum3* it’s a great amplifer so it should sell ok if not I will keep it but I am not going to give it away it’s a lot of amplifier for £800 .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts