I’ve been very bad boy and brought a Yamaha A-S3000

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
steve_1979 said:
That email sounds more reassuring.
even the bit about Yamaha doing a stock take I would of thought they would still be sending out products even though they are doing a stock take maybe I am being to paranoid and think they’re playing for time .

i mean why test the broken amplifier why not just send it back to Yamaha and let them deal with it because surely they wouldn’t lose anything out of it I would of thought like most products you get dud ones and they are sent back to the what ever companies they belong to .

To make shure it's really broken,defect, don't you think they would make shure it's not working before ordering a new amp?
Just in case I lied gasoline don’t you think ? Or maybe I sent it back just because I felt like it I let you work it out for your self .

but a new amplifier is coming

Nothing wrong with trying an amp to se if they can figure out why it doesn't work or keep blowing the fuse.

Like when someone brings a car for repair it's not unusual to test it before trying to fix, repair it, mabye they will find more after they tested it or even can se hear what is wrong doing the test.

Like if i only test my cpu for stability i won't know if my pc is table in games if i don't benchmark,test my gpu ;-)

And if my pc is unstable atleast i want to se,know what happens when it gets unstable, i think they want to se what happens when the amp shuts down,fuse blow .
by the sounds of things it might be the power supply at fault it runs for 2 hours then completely shuts down then nothing but if you wait for a day or 3 or 4 hours it starts up again after letting the amplifier sit there without the power cord being plugged in .

because when they received the amplifier back and they started it up there was nothing then they took the power cord out and put it back in again and it started up again which surprised me but I got nothing out of it but they will get a hour or two hours and then it will go again .

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
steve_1979 said:
even the bit about Yamaha doing a stock take I would of thought they would still be sending out products even though they are doing a stock take maybe I am being to paranoid and think they’re playing for time .

i mean why test the broken amplifier why not just send it back to Yamaha and let them deal with it because surely they wouldn’t lose anything out of it I would of thought like most products you get dud ones and they are sent back to the what ever companies they belong to .

To make shure it's really broken,defect, don't you think they would make shure it's not working before ordering a new amp?
Just in case I lied gasoline don’t you think ? Or maybe I sent it back just because I felt like it I let you work it out for your self .

Nothing wrong with trying an amp to se if they can figure out why it doesn't work or keep blowing the fuse.

Like when someone brings a car for repair it's not unusual to test it before trying to fix, repair it, mabye they will find more after they tested it or even can se hear what is wrong doing the test.

Like if i only test my cpu for stability i won't know if my pc is table in games if i don't benchmark,test my gpu ;-)

And if my pc is unstable atleast i want to se,know what happens when it gets unstable, i think they want to se what happens when the amp shuts down,fuse blow .
by the sounds of things it might be the power supply at fault it runs for 2 hours then completely shuts down then nothing but if you wait for a day or 3 or 4 hours it starts up again after letting the amplifier sit there without the power cord being plugged in .

because when they received the amplifier back and they started it up there was nothing then they took the power cord out and put it back in again and it started up again which surprised me but I got nothing out of it but they will get a hour or two hours and then it will go again .

Heat problem?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
steve_1979 said:

Heat problem?
the amplifier has 2 massive heat sinks inside but the lid of the amplifier doesn’t get hot but the lid is 6mm solid aluminium and the power supply is a very big supply . My bet is it’s got something to do with the power supply when it gets hot

insider9

gasolin said:

Who would you rather deal with?

A. I'm sorry you're experiencing issues with your new amplifier. We'll happily pick it up for you and send you a brand new unit to replace it. We've never had an issue with one before as the built quality is robust so I'd expect something might have gone wrong during transport. I can only apologise for that and assure you we will use a different courier this time. I will give you a call on Monday to give you an update as Yamaha is having their annual stock take. Will keep you up to date on the whole process as well via email. Should you require an amp in the meantime while this is being sorted we'll send you our demo unit (or another demo unit of your choice) so you can continue to enjoy music while the issue is getting resolved.

B. It's gone wrong? Has it? We can pick it up and give it to Dave so he can have a look at it. Once we know what happened Dave will attempt repairs and fingers crossed this time it will last longer than 2 hours. If it goes again we'll pick it up and give it to Dave's mate he's been doing this a little longer so has more experience.

-----

Company A would have Sabbath's custom for life company B would have a cancelled order and everyone would know about it.

I'm not slagging off the retailer they've done ok so far. Things can go and wrong it's how you deal with it that matters. Maybe they could've done better with comms and made it clearer what's happening but they were nowhere near as bad as example B. I'm sure it will all be ok

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I asked to keep me posted on the one I sent back to no what the issue is

they have just emailed me saying it’s been running fine all day this makes me look good

anyway they have had the Yamaha running with 8 ohm load speakers monitor audio platinum speakers with no issues

so ive phoned them up and asked them to try 4ohm speakers so the amplifier has to work harder so they will test the amplifier on Monday with a 4 ohm load to see if the problem starts up again and if it doesn’t they will be sending the amplifier back to me as they have to give a reason to Yamaha what’s wrong with the amplifier and obviously if they can’t find a reason and all works ok then they will send it back to me which I am fine about .

but do not understand why I had the issues I did have with the Yamaha if it works fine with them it’s a completely unbelievable

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
One of the reasons I like dealing with Arcam, is you can ring them up and speak to someone who knows what they're talking about.

D

Deleted member 108165

I think the end result and the lesson to be drawn from this thread will be: DON'T buy an amp in the middle of winter, with sub-zero temperatures. If you do then give it at least 24hrs so the amp is brought up to ambient temperature slowly before you plug it in.

insider9

DougK said:
I think the end result and the lesson to be drawn from this thread will be: DON'T buy an amp in the middle of winter, with sub-zero temperatures. If you do then give it at least 24hrs so the amp is brought up to ambient temperature slowly before you plug it in.

Hate to say it but a mate of mine bought Musical Fidelity A1 (2008) of eBay that he received on Friday. No issues whatsoever.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
your probably right Doug

i only give it 2 hours but obviously this was too soon so if this was the case and the components had a little bit of moisture then this was my fault by not giving the amplifier longer to warm up .

D

Deleted member 108165

It's only a hunch Sabbath, but yep moisture and electronics are not good bed-partners. It was absolutely freezing this week. Another point of note is that Audiovisual don't appear to offer any on-site repair facilities so all they are doing is running the amp normally, the only difference being is that it's now nice and warm.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
One of the reasons I like dealing with Arcam, is you can ring them up and speak to someone who knows what they're talking about.

Yes, I can vouch for that... a long time ago I bought an Arcam CDP, can't remember which model and like BS and his amp, it turned up faulty... the shop were talking about getting it repaired, of course I wasn't happyabout that so gave Arcam a call, next thing you know received a call from the shop to say a new one was on its way.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

D

Deleted member 108165

insider9 said:
Hate to say it but a mate of mine bought Musical Fidelity A1 (2008) of eBay that he received on Friday. No issues whatsoever.

Yeah but that's a British amp so it's used to our weather *biggrin* The Yam would be more accustomed to an Asian climate....

I bought my amp at the end of December and was delivered mid jan. it came out of the box like a 20kg block of ice.

I waited an hour before plugging in. I read the manual, and ran it with just the tv playing through it till it was at room temp.

The amp I have has an auto cutoff for moisture, I would imagine yours would too. Maybe that is what’s not working correctly causing the amp to go into safe mode?

I had a few concerns in the first few days, I don’t think electronics enjoy being handled by couriers, when speaking to the supplier, they offered a refund, or repair. Not a replacement. Which I found strange, but they also said they had no others in stock. Thankfully mine seems fine now, so decided to hold onto it.

Im sure whatever happens with yours, you will end up with a fully functioning unit. I know the hassle is a pain, but it’ll be worth it in the end.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
It's only a hunch Sabbath, but yep moisture and electronics are not good bed-partners. It was absolutely freezing this week. Another point of note is that Audiovisual don't appear to offer any on-site repair facilities so all they are doing is running the amp normally, the only difference being is that it's now nice and warm.
when I did get the amplifier to work a lot later on at night I tried the amplifier again and I was going to leave it running for the night and if it was still running in the morning I was going to cancel them picking the amplifier up .

by this time the amplifier had been in my house 5 hours when I got it to go again then it worked for 2 hours and then shut down no lights nothing not even the protection circuit worked the amplifier was completely dead. .

so left it till the next morning the morning when they where picking it up and tried again but still nothing .

but they got it working again I just do not understand

D

Deleted member 108165

Your threads are always long Sabbath *biggrin* I like good meaty threads like this, but not with this outcome.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
Your threads are always long Sabbath *biggrin* I like good meaty threads like this, but not with this outcome.
the good thing about Arcam amplifiers 20 years ago if I had a problem as it was only 18 miles I could drive to there factory and they would sort it out .

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've just read the owners manual for this amp, nowhere can I see a caution about it being delivered in cold weather.

The amp was installed as per manufactures instructions so get off the cold van idea. Its faulty out of the box he is entitled to a new one.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
I've just read the owners manual for this amp, nowhere can I see a caution about it being delivered in cold weather.

The amp was installed as per manufactures instructions so get off the cold van idea. Its faulty out of the box he is entitled to a new one.
Audiovisual where I brought it from have had it working today with out any issues which is strange which Is hooked up to a par of monitor audio platinum floor standing speakers .

anyway I was shocked that they have had it running because when it left me it was a dead amplifier I couldn’t get anything out of it

ive asked them to test using 4ohm speakers as that’s what I use then at least they will push the amplifier a bit more then using the monitor audio speakers which are 8ohm .

so if the amplifier runs ok on Monday all day it will be sent back to me as Audiovisual obviously have to have a reason to send the amplifier back to Yamaha so they need to find a fault to do this which I understand .

but basically it’s made me look stupid because it’s running fine there end so I just do not understand what went wrong with the amplifier with me

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Tonestar1 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
JamesMellor said:
so if the amplifier runs ok on Monday all day it will be sent back to me as Audiovisual obviously have to have a reason to send the amplifier back to Yamaha so they need to find a fault to do this which I understand .

but basically it’s made me look stupid because it’s running fine there end so I just do not understand what went wrong with the amplifier with me

Under no circumstances would I be accepting it back. You know it had a fault and if you accept it back you will be forever worrying it will go again. There's clearly something not right with it and you have paid a large some of money for a less than perfect product. I would speak to them on Monday and be quite firm with them explaining you don't want it back and that under distance selling law you will be cancelling the order if a new replacement isn't arranged. Just to add you don't look stupid at all, you didn't do anything wrong, just bad luck you received a faulty product.
but they are not finding anything wrong with it at the moment which is very puzzling

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
so ive phoned them up and asked them to try 4ohm speakers so the amplifier has to work harder so they will test the amplifier on Monday with a 4 ohm load to see if the problem starts up again and if it doesn’t they will be sending the amplifier back to me as they have to give a reason to Yamaha what’s wrong with the amplifier and obviously if they can’t find a reason and all works ok then they will send it back to me which I am fine about .
but do not understand why I had the issues I did have with the Yamaha if it works fine with them it’s a completely unbelievable

???

But you already know it's faulty! I would still demand a replacement amplifier even if they can't find an issue.

If they won't sent a new replacement then cancel the order and buy another one somewhere else.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Audiovisual where I brought it from have had it working today with out any issues which is strange which Is hooked up to a par of monitor audio platinum floor standing speakers .

anyway I was shocked that they have had it running because when it left me it was a dead amplifier I couldn’t get anything out of it

ive asked them to test using 4ohm speakers as that’s what I use then at least they will push the amplifier a bit more then using the monitor audio speakers which are 8ohm .

This may leave you with 2 choices:

- Take it back

- Cancel the order

If they can't find a fault, they are snookered.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
They are basically saying if they can’t find a fault with the amplifier it’s normal for them to send the amplifier back to the customer because they basically said that In order for them to get there money back of Yamaha the amplifier has to have a fault and there has to be a valid reason .

i understand it’s not my concern what they do with the amplifier and Yamaha them selfs and I understand that I can cancel the order and buy somewhere else but I didn’t expect the amplifier suddenly come back to life which has obviously changed things and obviously they have a policy which I understand

so my options are have the amplifier back or cancel the order as I can’t see me getting a replacement amplifier when the one I sent back is working again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts