Hypex NC400 users and pictures

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
I can confirm the existance of the NC500 it is an OEM product which I now have access to. Cases ordered and will order some NC500 modules to try,

You'll be in good company! Bel Canto use the NC500 in their REF600M mono blocks!*ok*

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Quick question I think you use the Audiolab CDQ8200 with the NC400's does the output from it drive them to full power ok.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Coll said:
It just that on another site in USA someone was having trouble getting high volume from the NC 400 build with 2 v

The NC400 is optimised for a 2V input. Higher voltages can cause clipping of the amplifier. It all depends on the content you play, of course. If the recording is very low level, that might be a problem (because your amp doesn't get a 2V signal after all).

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Colin,

If you can lay hands on NC500 modules, I wouldn't even consider NC400s anymore. Just bumped into the prices of these toys, and the difference is - well - substantial! *shok*

Shame I have my NC400s already...*dash1*

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Hi Colin,

If you can lay hands on NC500 modules, I wouldn't even consider NC400s anymore. Just bumped into the prices of these toys, and the difference is - well - substantial! *shok*

Hi Doc I can, now become an OEM builder with Hypex, im working on a buffer input board, I rekon i can do a stereo power amp for around £499-£599 just been talking with Coll via email re them! Pretty amazing hey. Just got off the phone to my friend who designs high end valve amps, he is going to look at whats required.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
DocG said:
Hi Colin,

Hi Doc I can, now become an OEM builder with Hypex, im working on a buffer input board, I rekon i can do a stereo power amp for around £499-£599 just been talking with Coll via email re them! Pretty amazing hey. Just got off the phone to my friend who designs high end valve amps, he is going to look at whats required.

I have indeed been in email conversation with Colin at IQ and I think he is onto something really good with the NC500 build, I wish him the very best with his new ideas.

I still intend building a NC400 stereo power amp at present but am very interested in the IQ NC500 also.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi again Esra I seem to remember in your review of the NC400s that you now use the Optimal Spectrum filter on the CDQ8200. I actually use the Optimal Transient to avoid brightness. As a matter of interest which filter did you use / prefer before using your current filter selection.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I very depends which music and source I use.Optimal Spectrum gives a "very clean" sound as you know and for first time i was able to use this filter for a longer listening period with the NC400 and Kef LS50.But I generally prefer Optimal Transient XD.

Audiolab M-Dac (Optimal Transient XD)->Audiolab 8200CDQ->Audiolab 8200MB->Kef LS50

diverse Sources and AVR are conntected either to M-Dac and the CDQ

I now use the NC400 in my second system

Cambridge CXN->NC400->Kef R900

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Hypex NC500 input buffer board solution sorted, 2 HC500 modules with PSU's ordered. Now these should be good.

Ooh, a bespoke iQ input buffer (with secret sauce)? *secret* No need to disclose all the confidential business information, but do keep us posted nonetheless!

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Hypex NC500 input buffer board solution sorted, 2 HC500 modules with PSU's ordered. Now these should be good.

Is it too early to say what the sensitivity and impedance will be

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Im expecting some data sheets to be supplied, as soon as i get them will let you know. The Valve amp designer friend has the equipment to measure and produce specs front to back end. It would be useful for me to compare them with the NC400 so if anybody is up for that let me know.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
This getting to be a very exciting thread and one of the most interesting on here.

I find most posts a little boring but not this one.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Coll said:
This getting to be a very exciting thread and one of the most interesting on here.

I find most posts a little boring but not this one.

+1!

I wonder how many forum users follow this thread, though... Could all you readers say hello? *bye* It may as well be we're actually on the wrong forum here...*unknw*

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well my shipment of UcD400 were held up by UPS due to "Severe weather or Disaster" !!*pardon*

The NC500 should arrive by the weekend. I've been looking at what I need for case work, a bench drill? Well might as well get a Milling machine hey? I could then produce my Aluminium Outriggers for my speakers and some other sexy parts. I can also produce a bespoke front plate for the amps as well as drilling the rear panel. Anybody know about mini milling machines? Probably should move this to the Journey thread? A milling machine on WHF, enjoy.

wm-12-small-engineering-metalworking-milling-machine_zpsbrjekndl.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Both lots of Hypex modules have arrived. The input buffer board has also materialized for the iQ Sauce input! Will let you know how they sound later when I have them wired up and working, if I have not electocuted myself those SMPSU are nasty.

IMG_1694_zps5ztxkfem.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
JST VL connectors arrived all crimped up and connected hey presto, Hypex NCore NC500 Amp all working after a little technical fiddling! Its pretty loud. Next job is to get it into the cases properly install swtches, LED's and run to make sure we have no heat related problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts