Humming Issue. Help!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Yeah, I was thinking (sort of hoping) that might be the case Al.
Anything to save him finding a physical way out for the earth lead.
It would leave the arm totally ungrounded though......we'll see.
Yes, hopefully we will. The cartridge itself is not in electrical contact with the tonearm so having a ground on that tonearm may be superfluous and even problem causing.
Fingers crossed.
Why Rega chose to connect the tonearm ground to the cartridge ground is beyond me

Reactions: Gray

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
EDIT: See my next post first.
There's no going back now! Give it a go.
As you can see, you haven't got the the metal strip, so in your case, no de-soldering is necessary.
Cut (just) the black wire off close to the solder blob.
Then bare back its end and (temporarily) join it to that piece of earth wire you've got.
I suggest you carefully do a test with everything still apart.
Before connecting the other end of your earth lead to the PP400 ground post......note whether the hum has gone.
It may be that just by isolating the arm and channel (black and blue) grounds the hum goes.
Now connect the earth to the PP400 ground post.
If all is silent then you know that drilling a hole for your earth lead will be worthwhile (you don't want to be doing any unnecessary drilling).
Okay, I am gonna attempt this tomorrow when I get some assistance, thank you. I have access to a soldering iron and but not a multimeter. Also, is there any reason mine does not have the metal strip?

Gray

Okay, I am gonna attempt this tomorrow when I get some assistance, thank you. I have access to a soldering iron and but not a multimeter. Also, is there any reason mine does not have the metal strip?
Good that you've got access to an iron, hopefully it won't be needed.
As to why you've not got the metal strip, good question. For whatever reason it seems that, on your version, they decided not to ground that lower threaded part.
(That's why I asked about the meter, I was going to ask you to check continuity between upper and lower parts of your arm - just to see if that thin black lead grounds the whole lot on yours).

Before even bothering to join the earth lead, see if, just by detaching the thin black wire, the hum goes. Wire will easily detach from the solder if you just grab it and bend it from side to side a few times.
(You can do that and testing while the TT is still upside down, so you may not need any assistance).

Good luck

Last edited:
Your turntable, if it is the more modern Planar 1 has the RB110 tonearm fitted. The original deck had the RB250 tonearm which may account for the lack of metal strip. If it is marked RP1 it has the RB101 tonearm.
Regards are not very helpful when it comes to numbering their decks as they are all referred to as a
Rega Planar 1 by most people, so that's three different decks each with slightly different arms.
When exactly did you buy yours and was it new back then?

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Let's go through all of this from the beginning. Your setup is as follows:

Rega > Behringer > Yamaha > AudioEngine Speakers

Because AE speakers are powered, you don't need to connect via Yamaha. I'm assuming you got the P1 and not the P1 Plus, in which case I'd advise that you plug the Rega into the Behringer and from the Behringer straight into the AE Speakers.

Rega > Behringer > AE

Powered speakers have built in amps, let's reduce everything down to basic first.

If you insist on using the Yamaha, try using the aux input from the Behringer.

Check out this guide.
View: https://youtu.be/wQ4euwnQaug
Final thought, since everything hums, where are your electrical plugs, try to get them as far away from all of your components as much as possible, might be electrical interference.

Pictures of the Yamaha amp with the speaker wires might help. Also more pictures of the turntable, show us the cartridge, show us the P1 logo.

Last edited:

Gray

Let's go through all of this from the beginning. Your setup is as follows:

Rega > Behringer > Yamaha > AudioEngine Speakers

Because AE speakers are powered, you don't need to connect via Yamaha. I'm assuming you got the P1 and not the P1 Plus, in which case I'd advise that you plug the Rega into the Behringer and from the Behringer straight into the AE Speakers.

Rega > Behringer > AE

Powered speakers have built in amps, let's reduce everything down to basic first.

If you insist on using the Yamaha, try using the aux input from the Behringer.

Check out this guide.
View: https://youtu.be/wQ4euwnQaug
Welcome to the party priam :)
Can't blame you if you haven't read all the posts, but I can assure you his setup has been questioned - and he's aware that most people would do it differently.
However, he wants to use the Yamaha (without speakers) effectively as a source selector between TT (via his choice of Behringer PP400, to Yam line in ) and his cassette deck.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Just thought I'd cover all the basics again, I wasn't aware that you can put a line level signal through two amp stages. Speaker wires at the back of the amp might be touching each other, hard to stuff speaker wire into those receptacles.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
The AE Speakers only have one set of binding post for input, I fail to see how the op is converting the 4 speaker wire terminals from his amp into the speaker. Y Connectors can't cut it surely.

D

Deleted member 108165

Kindly look at the photo's Sam has expertly taken to assist us in helping him. He's not using the speaker terminals on the Yam receiver/amp.

Read the thread from the beginning instead of jumping in at the end.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Kindly look at the photo's Sam has expertly taken to assist us in helping him. He's not using the speaker terminals on the Yam receiver/amp.

Read the thread from the beginning instead of jumping in at the end.
I've looked at the photos and read everything, I'm still not certain what he wants to achieve.

D

Deleted member 108165

Then you will see he's not using the speaker terminals on the amp. He's using the Yam receiver as a pre for the active speaker so he can connect multiple components to the speakers..

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
This is way beyond my comprehension, so I'm going to stop my thoughts here. He has a phono preamp, and he still wants to use the amp as a pre? Any who, just dropped in to try to give advice on the hum problem, this is way too convoluted.

I'd disassemble the amp, and see if the coupler is actually disengaged. Once had problem with a dirty jumper, but that was an external. The coupler might need some TLC, it might be touching another component.

Last edited:

inias

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
I had a similar hum problem after I moved my turntable setup to a different location. For me it was loops of extension lead wire which seemed to be the problem. A shorter extension path to mains solved the issue.

Slick-1260

Feb 16, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I bought a new Planar 3 with a TT PSU and an Elex-R this Christmas, and I noticed the hum/buzz, cracks and pops, very annoying. After doing all kind of tests, it's clear the hum goes away when I touch the ground screw on the Elex-R to the tonearm of the planar 3. The hum is there regardless if the TT is on or off, wether there's a cartridge connected to the tonearm or not. I can't send it back to the dealership, I bought in another country. Also replaced the elys2 with an exact, same problem. I assumed the RCA ground would match well with the Elex-R without the need of external ground, since the amp has only 2 pins. I nevertheless grounded the Elex-R pin to the same outlet where the rega's are plugged in. If I just move the tonearm it already makes cracks and pops. Any help is appreciated!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts