Humming Issue. Help!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
I plugged my turntable directly into my speakers, which for context are powered speakers so this is not a solution at all but the hum does disappear

D

Deleted member 108165

Something wrong with the wiring circuit on the turntable, a hum is generally an earth problem. I'm no electrician so can't help I'm afraid. Others are far more clever than I and should be along soon.

Oops, misread your post, you say that the hum disappeared :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 108165

When I touched the green end with my tweezers the hum disappeared, I don't know if that means anything.
Not sure if this is safe or not but will it play without the green lead attached?

I plugged my turntable directly into my speakers, which for context are powered speakers so this is not a solution at all but the hum does disappear
What speakers do you have. I am confused now as you appear to have a phono preamp you don't need and powered speakers that you cannot run with a receiver?
No wonder you have an earth problem.
Please explain.

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
What speakers do you have. I am confused now as you appear to have a phono preamp you don't need and powered speakers that you cannot run with a receiver?
Please explain.
Audio engine A5+. My understanding is you needed a phono preamp if you have a phono turntable and a receiver for the phono preamp.

D

Deleted member 108165

I'm getting confused here. You have a Rega TT, a Yamaha amp/receiver which has a phono-stage, a Behringer phono-stage, and a pair of active speakers. How is this chain connected?

Rega > Yamaha > Speakers

or

Rega > Behringer > Yamaha > Speakers

Last edited by a moderator:

Gray

What happens when you connect as:

Turntable > Behringer > Powered speakers? Hum I presume.

If you actually connected Rega direct to the A5+.......no wonder there was no hum.
(Probably virtually no music either without the preamp!)

D

Deleted member 108165

Please explain.
Appears that the Yam receiver has a pre-out, Al, guess that this is being used to connect to the speakers.

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
I'm getting confused here. You have a Rega TT, a Yamaha amp/receiver which has a phono-stage, a Behringer phono-stage, and a pair of active speakers. How is this chain connected?

Rega > Yamaha > Speakers

or

Rega > Behringer > Yamaha > Speakers
Rega > Beringer > Yamaha > Speakers

D

Deleted member 108165

Is the Yamaha phono-stage broken? Do all the line level inputs hum?

If the Yam phono-stage isn't broken I'd be tempted to use that instead of the Behringer.

You'll have to excuse me as I can't see your amp so I have to look at google images.

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
43 posts in and we're not certain how / why things are connected :ROFLMAO:
My Rega P1 is plugged into my Behringer which is plugged into my Yamaha CR-600 Stereo Reciever through the Tape PB input. I have my Audioengine A5+ speakers which are also plugged into the receiver through the Pre Out. All are RCA wires. I also have an Akai GXC-46D Cassette Deck plugged in via RCA in the other Tape PB input.

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
Is the Yamaha phono-stage broken? Do all the line level inputs hum?

If the Yam phono-stage isn't broken I'd be tempted to use that instead of the Behringer.

You'll have to excuse me as I can't see your amp so I have to look at google images.
I will will attach some photos. Yes all the input make the same hum, including when I plug the turntable directly into the phono input on the receiver

Attachments

• Snapchat-479122601.jpg
    Snapchat-479122601.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Snapchat-602302444.jpg
    Snapchat-602302444.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Snapchat-1801976796.jpg
    Snapchat-1801976796.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 8

Gray

My Rega P1 is plugged into my Behringer which is plugged into my Yamaha CR-600 Stereo Reciever through the Tape PB input. I have my Audioengine A5+ speakers which are also plugged into the receiver through the Pre Out. All are RCA wires. I also have an Akai GXC-46D Cassette Deck plugged in via RCA in the other Tape PB input.
OK thanks.
What Doug was getting at with his question was. Why are you using the Behringer preamp and not connecting the TT direct to the Yamaha's 'phono' inputs.
I should explain that, the Yamaha has a phono preamp behind its phono input sockets.
So what you've got is effectively a Behringer built-in to the Yamaha!

One more question: Have you got no ordinary (passive) speakers to connect to the Yamaha's speaker terminals? Or do you just prefer to use the A5+ speakers?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts