Humming Issue. Help!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
OK thanks.
What Doug was getting at with his question was. Why are you using the Behringer preamp and not connecting the TT direct to the Yamaha's 'phono' inputs.
I should explain that, the Yamaha has a phono preamp behind its phono input sockets.
So what you've got is effectively a Behringer built-in to the Yamaha!

One more question: Have you got no ordinary (passive) speakers to connect to the Yamaha's speaker terminals? Or do you just prefer to use the A5+ speakers?
I use a separate phono because the volume is a lot lower when plugged into the phono input on the Yamaha, and I have been told it is best to keep them separate. I had these speakers when I had a mini amp and before I needed more than one input, I also wanted to control the bass, treble, etc separately. It was a few years ago now when I bought these speakers

D

Deleted member 108165

Looks like we may have been onto something in post#27 as that sounds kinda strange. I'm off to bed now, I'll pick it up again tomorrow. In the meantime good luck.

Cheers for the pics (y)

Gray

I think we've established that there's an earthing fault - and it's with the TT.
Not much consolation to the original poster here but there's a thread on another forum that shows these issues can be far from straightforward.
This bloke has paid thousands for a Thorens deck and the dealer has apparently told him that hum is normal!

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
I think we've established that there's an earthing fault - and it's with the TT.
Not much consolation to the original poster here but there's a thread on another forum that shows these issues can be far from straightforward.
This bloke has paid thousands for a Thorens deck and the dealer has apparently told him that hum is normal!
Thank you, I will take a lot at that thread in the morning

Gray

Thank you, I will take a lot at that thread in the morning
Before you do, try this first:
Take your single core piece of wire and connect one end to the ground post on the PP-400.
Connect the other end to that top, unused EARTH pin in the Yamaha mains plug.
Bare back only about 5mm of the insulation before connecting the conductor securely to the earth terminal.
IT'S ESSENTIAL THAT THE WIRE CONTACTS ONLY THE EARTH TERMINAL IN THE MAINS PLUG.
See if that cures the hum. If so I'll tell you how to make things safely permanent.

Last edited:
Take your single core piece of wire and connect one end to the earthing post on the PP-400.
Bare back only about 5mm of the insulation before connecting the conductor securely to the earth terminal.
IT'S ESSENTIAL THAT THE WIRE CONTACTS ONLY THE EARTH TERMINAL IN THE MAINS PLUG.
See if that cures the hum. If so I'll tell you how to make things safely permanent.
Makes sense

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
Take your single core piece of wire and connect one end to the ground post on the PP-400.
Okay, I did it but unfortunately, it did not work. I am not certain I did it correctly, I have attached some photos of what I did.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1547591689.jpg
    Snapchat-1547591689.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Snapchat-1801676837.jpg
    Snapchat-1801676837.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 5

Gray

Okay, I did it but unfortunately, it did not work. I am not certain I did it correctly, I have attached some photos of what I did.
Yes you did it perfectly (even with the correct colour wire).
What a shame it didn't do the trick.
How old is the TT? and where are you located?
P.S. If anyone should know about the TTs earthing arrangement.....I actually worked in the Rega factory for a while!.......but in their amp department (that's my excuse for not knowing).

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
Yes you did it perfectly (even with the correct colour wire).
What a shame it didn't do the trick.
How old is the TT? and where are you located?
P.S. If anyone should know about the TTs earthing arrangement.....I actually worked in the Rega factory for a while!.......but in their amp department (that's my excuse for not knowing).
UK, and I bought it in late 2016. I did get the plinth replaced but I don't see why that would affect anything

D

Deleted member 108165

Gray is undoubtedly your man here, he's a clever guy. One question, has the hum just started or has it been there all the time?

Gray

UK, and I bought it in late 2016. I did get the plinth replaced but I don't see why that would affect anything
The plinth is effectively the TT.
It's where the arm signal wires connect to your external RCA lead....and where any chassis grounding happens.
Whoever replaced the plinth......presumably they tested everything after?
Which part of the UK are you in?

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
If Gray was clever, he'd have asked that question before now :sneaky:
Well done Doug.
Was the hum there.....pre and post plinth replacement?
I couldn't say for certain honestly, I changed the plinth like a month into having it. I would be leaning towards it always being there though.

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
The plinth is effectively the TT.
It's where the arm signal wires connect to your external RCA lead....and where any chassis grounding happens.
Whoever replaced the plinth......presumably they tested everything after?
Which part of the UK are you in?
I am in Yorkshire. The people who changed the plinth had a good reputation so I imagine they checked.

D

Deleted member 108165

I think Rega have a rep for hum, (or is that Project), but doubt that it should be this bad. I take it that it is very noticeable when playing?

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
I think Rega have a rep for hum, (or is that Project), but doubt that it should be this bad. I take it that it is very noticeable when playing?
When I have the volume past 5 it can become notable whilst playing a record, or if it a quiet song it will be present at 5 which is the number I play it at normally

As he has already stated Rega never used a separate earth wire from the turntable, as far as I recall my Planar 3 never had one and hence can be prone to hum, it could be the cartridge is picking up motor noise and some people made a change to the Origin Live upgrade motor kit to alleviate this. An expensive option, cheaper to replace the deck although I don't understand his set-up at all.

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
As he has already stated Rega never used a separate earth wire from the turntable, as far as I recall my Planar 3 never had one and hence can be prone to hum, it could be the cartridge is picking up motor noise and some people made a change to the Origin Live upgrade motor kit to alleviate this. An expensive option, cheaper to replace the deck although I don't understand his set-up at all.
What would you suggest? I need something I can use with my Cassette Deck andmy Rega.

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
Perhaps the easiest way is to replace the Rega unfortunately, and to be frank I don't understand why you are trying to use powered speakers with that receiver.
Oh that's a shame. My understanding, which could be totally wrong, was you can connect powered speakers to the receiver if it has a pre out which mine does

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts