Humming Issue. Help!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

This is now totally out of my depth of the little knowledge I possess so I'm afraid that I will have to bow out for. Good luck Sam

gasolin

hum eliminator, ground loop filter? How old is your turntable, did the humming occur when you got it or much later ?

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
hum eliminator, ground loop filter? How old is your turntable, did the humming occur when you got it or much later ?

I have heard they can affect the sound quality, I have had the turntable since 2016, humming always being there

Gray

Thanks for the photo.
Is it possible to take one (or more) of where the 4 thin wires come out of the arm and meet with the external RCA leads? (Photos from different angles, medium and full close-up if you can. Cheers)

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the photo.
Is it possible to take one (or more) of where the 4 thin wires come out of the arm and meet with the external RCA leads? (Photos from different angles, medium and full close-up if you can. Cheers)
Would I have to remove the tonearm for that?

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the photo.

Attachments

• Snapchat-286312757.jpg
    Snapchat-286312757.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Snapchat-1702996041.jpg
    Snapchat-1702996041.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Snapchat-2056514227.jpg
    Snapchat-2056514227.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 8

saman239

Apr 10, 2020
Visit site
If you can manage the challenge on your own brave man. If you know a decent electrician even better. :)
It shouldn't matter if your tonearm is the newer three-point mount the wiring should be the same.
Sorry just seen your photos and it is......
Thank you! I may not have any choice but do it myself because of the lockdown.

Gray

thank you, I may have to consider this
EDIT: See my next post first.
There's no going back now! Give it a go.
As you can see, you haven't got the the metal strip, so in your case, no de-soldering is necessary.
Cut (just) the black wire off close to the solder blob.
Then bare back its end and (temporarily) join it to that piece of earth wire you've got.
I suggest you carefully do a test with everything still apart.
Before connecting the other end of your earth lead to the PP400 ground post......note whether the hum has gone.
It may be that just by isolating the arm and channel (black and blue) grounds the hum goes.
Now connect the earth to the PP400 ground post.
If all is silent then you know that drilling a hole for your earth lead will be worthwhile (you don't want to be doing any unnecessary drilling).

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

Gray

Before you do anything, have you got a soldering iron?
You don't need it to do the mod but......it would be useful for reconnecting the black lead if the mod doesn't work.
And, just in case, have you got a multimeter?

Last edited:

insider9

I've only read some of the thread. Sounds like a ground loop to me. Easiest way to deal with it would be to connect a ground wire to mains (only middle hole of a socket). And selectively start attaching it to components one by one until it disappeared. Please make sure you don't electrocute yourself and blame me. If you don't feel confident doing it, don't.

I once had a similar issue with Yamaha streamer and a Naim amp and managed to sort it.

Gray

I've only read some of the thread. Sounds like a ground loop to me. Easiest way to deal with it would be to connect a ground wire to mains (only middle hole of a socket). And selectively start attaching it to components one by one until it disappeared. Please make sure you don't electrocute yourself and blame me. If you don't feel confident doing it, don't.

I once had a similar issue with Yamaha streamer and a Naim amp and managed to sort it.
He tried that Insider, unfortunately didn't work (but he lived to tell the tale ;))

Last edited:
Reactions: insider9

Gray

Do them photos all look right to you?
Your photos are good. They clearly show what you've got.
And they clearly show that what you've got differs to what is shown in those modification photos.....but that shouldn't be a problem.
If you look at the mod photos, you can see how that metal strip would be sandwiched between the plastic and metal, which means it grounds the threaded metal part.
Yours hasn't got that strip, but you've still got the black wire, which (almost certainly) goes up and grounds the arm tube which, in your case, (probably?) is electrically connected to your thread! Like I say, shouldn't cause probs :screamcat:

Last edited:
EDIT: See my next post first.
There's no going back now! Give it a go.
As you can see, you haven't got the the metal strip, so in your case, no de-soldering is necessary.
Cut (just) the black wire off close to the solder blob.
Then bare back its end and (temporarily) join it to that piece of earth wire you've got.
I suggest you carefully do a test with everything still apart.
Before connecting the other end of your earth lead to the PP400 ground post......note whether the hum has gone.
It may be that just by isolating the arm and channel (black and blue) grounds the hum goes.
Now connect the earth to the PP400 ground post.
If all is silent then you know that drilling a hole for your earth lead will be worthwhile (you don't want to be doing any unnecessary drilling).
I agree with this procedure, the need to run that earth wire might also be unnecessary.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts