Humax Freesat PVR (foxsat-hdr)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Got mine delivered today and quickly set it up without reading the instructions cos can't be bothered as usual and all set up went ok. Couldn't work out how to set recordings up on series link so decided to read the manual (so time consuming!) but still can't find it! Anyone got any advice, please help?

For those of you who are still looking for one but struggling I got mine from Argos, went on the website which said home delivery was out of stock same as local stores, clicked on option for them to e mail me when they had some, a day later I got an e mail saying available to buy, went back on website which still said they were out of stock, but went through the purchasing process and it gave me a delivery date of 2 days time (went to www.vouchercodes.com prior to purchasing to get a promotional code for free delivery), 2 days later it was delivered all for £293 happy days!

I got a freesat box to get rid of my bt vision box as the freeview picture quality is rubbish mainly and my old sky + box which is still connected but haven't subscribed for some time now, but as vision still has quite a few more channels on i may end up keeping it anyway, but the picture quality of the hd channels on the Humax (ITV when broadcast in it and the BBC1 channel) is impressive. Sorry but i'm too tight to pay for sky! Still trying to work out though whether it was really worth the money for the freesat box?

Toshiba 40zf355d,Sony DAVIS10 dvd system, BT Vision, Humax Freesat/Foxsat HDR.

A

Anonymous

Ahhhhhhhh yes I forgot about that thread, all sorted now after watching the clip thanks for your help great man!!!!!

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
If i hook the humax up to my onkyo 606 does this mean i have to turn it on every time im watching tv, or do i have to scart it from pvr to tv? thanks.

daveh75

i think most,if not all receivers need to be powered up to allow signal pass through. you may be better off running the hdmi straight to tv from the humax and connecting to the amp via optical for sound

A

Anonymous

Am i right in thinking u can get Dolby Digital over HMDI through TV i read it somewhere. Please can someone Clarify this.

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
daveh75:i think most,if not all receivers need to be powered up to allow signali pass through. you may be better off running the hdmi straight to tv from the humax and connecting to the amp via optical/coax for sound
But then i will not get hd sound or is it dolby digital only anyway ?i did ask this peter tyson this question they said i didnt have to power up the onkyo but i cant see how either.thanks.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Yep, you can indeed - no need for a secondary optical connection.

Sorry Clare, could you elaborate on this statement please?

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Yep, you can indeed - no need for a secondary optical connection.

Can you elaborate on this please Clare?

I have my Foxsat HDR HDMI'ed to my Pioneer 428 but I cannot get any sound of the tv to the receiver via optical. The Optical output works fine with an aerial source but it refuses point blank with the HDR as source.

Also, I'm unsure as per your statement, what the non optical option could be.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
HDMI does it all on the Humax - 5.1 surround as well as stereo (whichever suits your system). Unlike Sky, of course, which only carrys stereo via HDMI, and needs the additional optical connection for 5.1 sound.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Clare.

I thought the original question was...does one need to have their Onk 606 switched on to view the audio/video coming out of the Humax to the telly via the AV amp. I think the answer is yes.

Are their ways around this, so you only switch the AV amp on for special ocassions? I don't know.

The reason I'm interested is that I am intending to upgrade my 9200T in the near future and I have a similar issue.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
PJPro:Thanks Clare. I thought the original question was...does one need to have their Onk 606 switched on to view the audio/video coming out of the Humax to the telly via the AV amp. I think the answer is yes. Are their ways around this, so you only switch the AV amp on for special ocassions? I don't know. The reason I'm interested is that I am intending to upgrade my 9200T in the near future and I have a similar issue.

Yes that was the original question and its what I'm wanting to know. My HDMI to my 428XD delivers both picture and sound but I can't get sound back out to the Onkyo 605.

As with the original poster, I could HDMI the Humax to Onk and then to TV but this would then require the Onkyo to always be on.

As per the OP, I'm looking for a way to HDMI direct to the tv but also have the option of getting sound back to the Onkyo so I only have to use the Onkyo for special occassions.

A

Anonymous

Clare, Im a bit slow in grasping the jist of this am I led to believe hdmi to receiver then to tv is there any need to power up the receiver every time I want to hear the sound im confused, What I was going to do Humax Pvr to Tv then optical to reciever. Please advise must be my age.

daveh75

jj, thats the way i'm gonna set mine up once i get my receiver after xmas. i dont wanna have to have the receiver on all the time, at present i have got my hdr connected straight to tv via hdmi and intend to connect to receiver when i get it via optical

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I am confused. The sound through my hifi is so much better than the TV, I have simply removed the TV speakers. How hard is it to turn the amp on with the TV?

A

Anonymous

Hi I feel the same as you daveh75 don`t want the wife to be confused with receiver she will never get to grips with it.I will go the conventional way

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
hammill:I am confused. The sound through my hifi is so much better than the TV, I have simply removed the TV speakers. How hard is it to turn the amp on with the TV?

daveh75:well for me it's for simplicity for the g/f and my four year old,and i dont wanna be hearing the likes of cbeebies and pat butcher blasting through my a/v kit

I've got it sorted guys.

I bought another QED Optical cable yesterday.

I now have the Humax connected via HDMI to HDMI (DIRECT) to the tv and via OPITCAL to the receiver.

I'm getting excellent sound through the tv and if I want cinema sound on, audibly amazingly better sound through the Onkyo with cinema sound on (even on ordinary tv stereo not just DD films). All you do is mute the sound on the tv remote when you turn the receiver on and then you have both digital picture and cinema sound.

My worry that this might upset something seems unfounded. Everything works fine.

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
That sounds good to me alsone thats the way im going to go, its just i was trying to cut down on wire clutter and for me the point of components with HDMI capability was to do excactly that, but i suppose one optical cable wont do any harm.

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Sorry for hijacking guys and girls, but could anyone comment on the picture quality from the Humax PVR, specifically the standard def pic? I have a Panasonic 46" pz81 and will be connecting the Humax up to it when I get one, but am curious as whether to let the tele upscale the standard def pic, or let the box send an upscaled standard def pic to the tele (I understand the box upscales to 720p/1080i).

If the scaler in the Humax is good then I will buy the Yamaha 863, but if the scaler isn't, I will buy the Onkyo 876 and upscale through that before sending to the tele. Pic quality is very important to me! I know it's not the way to choose an amp, but I am a picky sort.

Sorry for interrupting.
emotion-10.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts