Humax Foxsat HDR chopping off the end of recordings

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
|(

I've recently started having this problem again, after things had been fine for the past year or so. 2 or 3 recorded progs on various channels have stopped recording up to 2 mins before the end. I changed the recording options from auto to '2mins' after the prog, and it still chopped off the end.

Have you got any suggestions as to what, if anything, can be done to rectify this? Is it worth complaining to anyone in particular? I presume the issue is with the broadcaster rather than freesat or humax. Surely a popular programme like Homeland would require them to take a bit more care about when they send out the 'programme ended' signal?

daveh75

It's down to C4. They're not sending/having issues sending AR data, er accurately on freesat (it appears to be unclear if C4 even have the capability atm). There were also the same issues on Youview.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Dave. Not a lot of point in this marvellous technology if it doesn't work! At least with my old video recorder I could just set the timer, and not be subject to the working or otherwise of C4 sending AR data (whatever that is)!

I've just sent C4 a complaint, and will feedback if/when I get a response.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
A quick reply has been sent from C4;

"Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries regarding programmes recorded on your Humax HDR box. We are sorry to hear the difficulties you have been experiencing, and have forwarded your information to our engineering team. Channel Four is in the process of enabling the “triggers” in the broadcast stream (The information which tells the recorder when to start and finish) on Freeview for C4HD, as part of a planned roll-out. This should now be in place as of this week, but please let us know if you are experiencing similar difficulties. We are sorry for any inconvenice this has caused you. Thank you again for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate all feedback from our viewers; complimentary or otherwise. Regards, Damien McCandless Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries"

I haven't decided yet whether I feel reassured or just fobbed off.

whatsername

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same problem with Homeland on the same equipment, Channel 4 and 5 (incl 5USA) seem to be quite bad with their signals (or AR, I see it is called). Also Chartshow TV, I have noticed.
I have never set the recording settings to anything other than auto, because quite often I will be recording consecutive programs on different channels, and the signals can conflict. Usually it waits a bit and the program still records, but sometimes it fails, if the finish signal has been sent late, and I am not actually watching the tv at the time, to stop any over run recordings.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
It seems to be working OK for the last couple of weeks. For a while there it was fortunate that I was also recording the programme that followed Homeland, and could see the missing 1-2 minutes of the end at the start of the next recording session. How ridiculous that the end was still being chopped off even after setting the recording time for 5 mins after the programme!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts