How would you spend £2000?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
After a long time saving and lots of overtime at work I've recently spent almost £2000 on a new hifi and head-fi systems (some of it was brand new and some was second hand). I've finished with chasing rainbows now and found the pots of gold, these are the last upgrades that I'll make for a very long time.

It took ages saving up the money and £2000 equates to a huge portion of my rather limited disposable income. I'm very pleased with my choices and the sound they make but I can't help wondering, what hifi/head-fi systems wouLd you guys would have bought if you had £2000 to spend?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There's plenty of ways you could spend this. I'd probably combine the two (if we are talking domestic headphone listening - and if I'm allowed!). You could use an Audiolab 8200CDQ as source and pre (added bonus of a CD player), into something like KEF X300 active speakers, leaving about £400 for headphones (based on RRPs). I'd quite fancy the B&W P7s for this price point.

If basing it around something a little more budget than a CDQ, the Quad Vena with a pair of Sonus Faber Toys leaves about £800 for headphones, maybe the OPPO PM2s.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
There's plenty of ways you could spend this. I'd probably combine the two (if we are talking domestic headphone listening - and if I'm allowed!). You could use an Audiolab 8200CDQ as source and pre (added bonus of a CD player), into something like KEF X300 active speakers, leaving about £400 for headphones (based on RRPs). I'd quite fancy the B&W P7s for this price point.

If basing it around something a little more budget than a CDQ, the Quad Vena with a pair of Sonus Faber Toys leaves about £800 for headphones, maybe the OPPO PM2s.

Yes I should have said domestic headphones. I already had an excellent Sony/Westone portable setup that I'm happy with.

Interesting choices. I like the Audiolab/KEF/B&W system. A neat low box count with active speakers. I tried several B&W headphones before going for the Sennheiser HD700's. They all had good bass, build quality and looks but the mid-range and treble clarity isn't a patch on the HD700's (which admittedly need the bass and treble EQing a bit to sound their best though).

Those OPPO PM2's look rather nice too.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Rather than go all new I'd use it to upgrade what I have. I guess I'd be looking at a 2nd hand M-DAC or new Pioneer U-05 to run my Adam A7X, I'd grab a 2nd hand pair of HD650 to listen to with the U-05 or my Icon HDP, and a 2nd hand Luxman L-507u for running my PMC DB1i.

Well, that is the kit I have been keeping an eye on and considering picking up 2nd hand. Of course, that means I'd sell my current amp, which would free up a bit more cash...

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:

What are your impressions of the Quad Vena David? It does look like an attractive proposition.

Not sure I would. Without sounding pretentious or arrogant I'm not too sure if I could better the sound of my current kit for just £2k.

If I was starting all over again, I would probably look at an all-in-one or (perhaps) active set-up. Either option would need to usurp my system by a considerable amount, but couldn't say whether that would be possible or not.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Not sure I would. Without sounding pretentious or arrogant I'm not too sure if I could better the sound of my current kit for just £2k.

If I was starting all over again, I would probably look at an all-in-one or (perhaps) active set-up. Either option would need to usurp my system by a considerable amount, but couldn't say whether that would be possible or not.

But wouldn't the idea of checking out some GB1is appeal? Or maybe you could pick up some PMC Twenty 23s that I'm sure would sound stunning with your setup ;)

ID. said:
plastic penguin said:

But wouldn't the idea of checking out some GB1is appeal? Or maybe you could pick up some PMC Twenty 23s that I'm sure would sound stunning with your setup ;)

Yeah, GB1is possible. Would it be better than the TB2i? Twenty 23 are fabulous sounding but totally fugly IMO. That slanting cabinet aesthetically looks 'orrid.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
ID. said:
plastic penguin said:

Yeah, GB1is possible. Would it be better than the TB2i? Twenty 23 are fabulous sounding but totally fugly IMO. That slanting cabinet aesthetically looks 'orrid.

Wha? I *love* my Twenty 23'.s Touch them every day *new_russian*

spockfish said:
plastic penguin said:
ID. said:
plastic penguin said:

Wha? I *love* my Twenty 23'.s Touch them every day *new_russian*

So you should. *acute* Just can't get to grips with the sloping cabinet.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I am in a similar position to you, spent a reasonable amount and don't plan to make any changes any time soon.

Can the Headphone System be integrated into the main one (same room?)

If so, then I would have done, as I have done with the Bryston B60 (~£600 S/H), Rega R9 (£650 S/H) and a digital source of your choosing, my preference would be a legacy DVD player (Toshiba SD9500, Sony DVP-S9000ES etc) for around £100-£200 depending on model.

The Rega Speakers are quite rare, if you had a smaller room, the Harbeth P3ES would be a good match, around the same price.

That leaves you £500 after whatever cables you might want to add for some headphones, thats my plan to add to the aparently pretty good Headphone Amp built into the Bryston.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
1. Bel Canto C5i, Usher S520, JVC HAS 160

2. Cyrus 8 QX DAC, Guru Audio Junior, JVC HAS 160

3. Project Stereo Box RS, MyAudioDesign 1920, JVC HAS 160

For some reason I can't put anything together within budget :). All slightly over if bought new though discounts may bring them within £2k. I would have to add vinyl to both though.

regards

Actually, just noticed the Project Stereo Box doesn't have a headphone socket ...

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Steve, I like the look of your system a lot. My problem is that small speakers (even actives: I have some Adams in my office) don't do it for me with large-scale classical music.

If buying new, I'd do something like this:

Speakers: Magneplanar MG12 £1600

Power amp: Behringer A500 £125

DAC/headphone amp: FiiO E07K £70

Headphones: Grado SR225e £200

I could probably improve on the amp pretty easily by buying second hand. The headphones are the weakest link in the system, but though I like my Hifiman HE500s, I do very little headphone listening these days. It just doesn't sound natural to me.

The first upgrade to the system would be a sub.

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I would continute saving until the day I could afford this beauty *drinks*

1956936mcintosh.jpg

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
If I was starting from scratch with only £2000, then I'd probably go for the Dynaudio Xeo 5.

I think wireless speakers is the way to go.

I'd also re-buy my headphones (Shure SR940) and simply use my phone and laptop for headphone listening as I do now. :)

I miss floorstanders.

If I had more money I'd look at the latest higher end Dynaudio actives the Focus 400 / 600 XD.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
fr0g said:
I think wireless speakers is the way to go.

For quality or convenience?

I would say convenience of course. But there is no reason as to why quality should be affected for the worse.

Ultimately "completely wireless" would be preferable.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I would probably buy an iPod Touch, then use Spotify with headphones and an all-in-one system - something with Airplay and Spotify Connect. In terms of headphones, most of what I've tried sounded great. So I'd opt for comfort, either B&W and B&O.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
£2k,£5k, whatever; there is nothing[ headphones excepted] that I'd change from what I have. I have the extreme good fortune to have arrived at my music reproduction destination and it only took me 40 years :)

If I were starting from scratch then, as Steve has done/ 9Rs and AVI sub.

The next real money I'll spend is on a tv, but not until 4k bluray is released and stable, with sensibly priced media[some hopes]. By that time, hopefully, the streaming and hdmi standards will have been properly settled and the upscaling engines will be even better refined.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts