How would you spend £2000?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gasolin

I would go for sonmething simple for my pc

Active speaker, Genelec 8040 http://www.thomann.de/gb/genelec_8040_bwm.htm(1400£)

Soundcard Focus rite scarlette 2i2 (maybe a dac instead)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_scarlett_2i2.htm (105£)

Isoacoustics stands http://www.thomann.de/gb/isoacoustics_iso_l8r155.htm (83£)

For the rest some quality mains,mains conditioner and xlr/usb cable

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
not mucking around.

i would source second hand ;

Naim 5i cd and amp and neat motive speakers, because iv owned it for years now and never felt the need to upgrade when flush and wouldn't like to downgrade by buying new. I could live without a turntable if the need be.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The best system that I can think of that fits the budget would be a pair of (yep, you guessed it) AVI ADM9RS. I am now very familier with the slightly ealier model and it is a phenominal system, currently just £1250. Add an Airport Express and I am done.

I am not a big headpone listener so something fairly inexpensive would do me fine. They would have to be exceptional though, my supercheap Superlux 681Bs sound great and cost around £40, including AKG ear pads. Something simple to drive them, maybe the Ephiphany Odac/amp setup would do, portable too.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
The best system that I can think of that fits the budget would be a pair of (yep, you guessed it) AVI ADM9RS. I am now very familier with the slightly ealier model and it is a phenominal system, currently just £1250. Add an Airport Express and I am done.

I am not a big headpone listener so something fairly inexpensive would do me fine. They would have to be exceptional though, my supercheap Superlux 681Bs sound great and cost around £40, including AKG ear pads. Something simple to drive them, maybe the Ephiphany Odac/amp setup would do, portable too.

No love for Dynaudio broadcasting actives? (BMA series)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
davedotco said:

No love for Dynaudio broadcasting actives? (BMA series)

They are fine speakers, currently the BM5a Mk II are being run out in the UK for just £460 a pair, this is astonishing value, half the price of the latest Mk III.

However I kind of like the 'all in oneness" of the ADMs but that said, in the context of the thread a pair of the latest BM6a and a Matrix Mini I dac/preamp/headpone amp could be had for about £1500. Would do nicely if you have the space.

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
For £2k you could get about 50 bottles of very decent Burgundy. That would make even an average hifi sound very good.

Best comment - pity there's no recommend option on this forum

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
marou said:
For £2k you could get about 50 bottles of very decent Burgundy. That would make even an average hifi sound very good.

Best comment - pity there's no recommend option on this forum

And seriously bad the next day, lol.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I guess I remodel the living room so that my speakers are not standing against the wall to the neighbors but to an inner wall between the living room and the kitchen.

Maybe a better and bigger TV like a Loewe and an dedicated cd player (probably a TEAC).

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Steve, I like the look of your system a lot. My problem is that small speakers (even actives: I have some Adams in my office) don't do it for me with large-scale classical music.

Thanks. :)

The DM5's sound huge for such dinky speakers. Every review on them so far has commented on this and they really has to be heard to be believed. If you listened to them blindfolded you'd be in for a suprise when you took it off.

Obviously the bass depth would give it away as this is limited by their size (virtually nothing below 55Hz) but with the perfectly intigrated AVI sub in tow you could easily believe you were listening to a pair of 6' tall floorstanders (but with the clear midrange and stereo image that good quality 5" bookshelf speakers can do so well).

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
fr0g said:
If I was starting from scratch with only £2000, then I'd probably go for the Dynaudio Xeo 5...

...I miss floorstanders.

I like their pro-audio stuff. Haven't heard the Xeo's but they look like a very neat package. I prefer the looks of floorstanders to standmounts too.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
relocated said:
If I were starting from scratch then, as Steve has done/ 9Rs and AVI sub.

I was saving for the ADM10 and AVI sub but when I heard the Sennheiser HD700's I just had to have them and haven't regretted the decision for a minute.

The DM5's look nicer than the DM10's IMO too and being compact are better suited for using either side of a computer monitor.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Speakers: Magneplanar MG12 £1600[/b]

Power amp: Behringer A500 £125

DAC/headphone amp: FiiO E07K £70

Headphones: Grado SR225e £200

Very interesting. Maggies and a high powered pro amp. Nice. I would love to hear some some time.

I listened to a few pairs of Grado's ranging from £250 to £1000. They had plenty of detail but the sound seemed a bit hyped and unnatural. Very exciting sounding and I can see why they are popular with some people but they were not what I was after. The build quality and comfort ranged from rubbish to mediocre and they were nowhere near as good as Sennheiser's or B&W's in these two areas.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
gasolin said:
I would go for sonmething simple for my pc

Active speaker, Genelec 8040

I did consider getting a second hand Genelec (or Quested) 2.1 system as these are some of my favourite sounding speakers. But even second hand they are quite pricey and those looks... *bad*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
However I kind of like the 'all in oneness" of the ADMs but that said, in the context of the thread a pair of the latest BM6a and a Matrix Mini I dac/preamp/headpone amp could be had for about £1500. Would do nicely if you have the space.

I probably would have gone for a Matrix Mini but I wanted a 2.1 DAC/pre with a subwoofer output which limits the options considerably.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I am not up to speed on the latest AVIs, I hear a pair of late model 9Ts on a fairly regular basis, and like them a lot. The all in one package is very tempting, and I would also want a gloss black finish, so neither DM5s or the proposed ADM10s will be acceptable.

I had a good play with the original Mini I and thought it very decent, at least comparable to the M-Dac but without the designer credentials. It has two pairs of outputs so easy to use with a sub, no bass management of course which I guess is what you are after.

I am constantly drawn back to the pro market, value for money is far better than in the hi-fi world and there are always deals to be had, particularly if you are not a studio and do not need the latest models. In the last few days I have seen the Dynaudio BM5as at around half price, Adam Artist 6 floorstanders at just over £600 and the super value Seiwin 5a at just £129.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
davedotco said:
I am not up to speed on the latest AVIs, I hear a pair of late model 9Ts on a fairly regular basis, and like them a lot. The all in one package is very tempting, and I would also want a gloss black finish, so neither DM5s or the proposed ADM10s will be acceptable.

I had a good play with the original Mini I and thought it very decent, at least comparable to the M-Dac but without the designer credentials. It has two pairs of outputs so easy to use with a sub, no bass management of course which I guess is what you are after.

I am constantly drawn back to the pro market, value for money is far better than in the hi-fi world and there are always deals to be had, particularly if you are not a studio and do not need the latest models. In the last few days I have seen the Dynaudio BM5as at around half price, Adam Artist 6 floorstanders at just over £600 and the super value Seiwin 5a at just £129.

If you want the best gloss black ADM9's the newest version of the ADM9RS with the upgraded SB tweeter is the one to go for.

I did look at the twin outputs on the Matrix DAC but as you say I wanted easily adjustable bass management to vary the sub output depending on media (usually for computer games but occasionally with music too). Turning the sub crossover up from 80 to 100Hz and increasing the volume by 10dB is a brutal experience when playing 'first person shooter' games. Even though the main volume is at normal listening levels the bass kicks you in the chest and shakes the whole house with every gun shot and explosion!

Those Dynaudio BM5A and Adam Artist 6 speakers are seriously good value at those prices. Much better than the usual Marantz/Yamaha amp and Q Acoustics/Dali passive speaker combinations that usually get recommended by WHF.

Shsssssh.......

Can't say that..*shok*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts