Question How well positioned are your loudspeakers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Like most people here, hifi for me these days is a compromise and it generally comes a poor second to other living room activities. It's just our family circumstances at this time. We don't want our teenagers locked away on their phones in their rooms, so the living room is generally used for gaming or TV. I would say my amps and speakers get more use watching films etc than they ever do for music. I think the last time I listened to an album was August. It will come around again though. Regarding speaker placement, I try to adhere to the triangle principle but in reality I don't really have the depth to let the speakers breathe as much as they should.

Attachments

• 20210322_171103.jpg
    20210322_171103.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 17

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Well that makes sense...... :)
Though not sure what wombats have to do with anything
the song" let´s dance to Joy Division" is Wombats only song i know and makes sense, if you haven´t heard it ,listen to it , found it funny. Joy Division was heard a lot in the 80´s as a alterrnative band that after the vocalist ended he´s life become New Order, some people i know didn´t knew this

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Like most people here, hifi for me these days is a compromise and it generally comes a poor second to other living room activities. It's just our family circumstances at this time. We don't want our teenagers locked away on their phones in their rooms, so the living room is generally used for gaming or TV. I would say my amps and speakers get more use watching films etc than they ever do for music. I think the last time I listened to an album was August. It will come around again though. Regarding speaker placement, I try to adhere to the triangle principle but in reality I don't really have the depth to let the speakers breathe as much as they should.
today most of the young families do that or a lot similar in their living rooms

Well observed Juzzie. They look similar to Norwegian, mine are two Maine Coones, Flynn (Red) and Zoyah (Mackeral, Tabby, Grey). :) Weighing 11 and 10 kilos, they scare the neighbours dog.

View attachment 7605
Any sensible dog would give a Maine Coone a wide berth..... :)
Interestingly enough WHF will not let me use the term without adding the E.....,
What's the world coming to?

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
My speakers in the bedroom are compromised, being a short distance apart. I suspect if the massive IKEA ward rope wasn't there (out of the picture) I would have the speakers mounted on proper floor stands.

View attachment 7598
the wooden cheese board from Ikea i see it mounted under the turntables all over the world, but those stands are fine allthough they are in reality wooden beanches(sorry if i wrotte it wrong), it´s like when one had a boombox in the bedroom the speakers if not desatached would be even more closer but each does the better he can with what is available ,

but there is a lot of strange hi-fi assemblings ,like using two speakers to put on top the amplifier, tuner cd player and cassette deck , this person went to the hi-fi shop saying his new Sony cd player jumped a lot (speakers vibration) solution, he got a new table for the cd player and he was happy with it being so easy fixed ,

other uses the speakers ,one to put the records and the other to put the covers, he´s loaded with money and say´s "that´s fine for me" and yet to buy his first cd player this in his bedroom where still he receives his friends but if one enters the living room there he as a macintosh complete system with some JBL (wooden made bought in 2021) and no cd player, but even more surprising is the records playing with a good sound. he uses 2.7 grams as tracking force with a new sumiko cartridge that cost several thousands of €´s.

I know about more odities but it´s not what is discussed here on this topic ,

could be one , diferent ways of assembling and using a hi-fi system ,also results of how they sound,

other as some JBL speakers on stands but one in the midle of the living room and he says that he putted there and notice the sound was perfect so one is by the side of the system other is in the midle of the room between the couch and the smart tv.

I asked him why when i change the balance to the right the lefty speaker works alone , reply :"i conect the cables how i want why should i conect one to the left other to the right with the correct colours , it works exactelly the same", who am i to tell him that is not the same.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

the wooden cheese board from Ikea i see it mounted under the turntables all over the world, but those stands are fine allthough they are in reality wooden beanches(sorry if i wrotte it wrong), it´s like when one had a boombox in the bedroom the speakers if not desatached would be even more closer but each does the better he can with what is available ,

but there is a lot of strange hi-fi assemblings ,like using two speakers to put on top the amplifier, tuner cd player and cassette deck , this person went to the hi-fi shop saying his new Sony cd player jumped a lot (speakers vibration) solution, he got a new table for the cd player and he was happy with it being so easy fixed ,

other uses the speakers ,one to put the records and the other to put the covers, he´s loaded with money and say´s "that´s fine for me" and yet to buy his first cd player this in his bedroom where still he receives his friends but if one enters the living room there he as a macintosh complete system with some JBL (wooden made bought in 2021) and no cd player, but even more surprising is the records playing with a good sound. he uses 2.7 grams as tracking force with a new sumiko cartridge that cost several thousands of €´s.

I know about more odities but it´s not what is discussed here on this topic ,

could be one , diferent ways of assembling and using a hi-fi system ,also results of how they sound,

other as some JBL speakers on stands but one in the midle of the living room and he says that he putted there and notice the sound was perfect so one is by the side of the system other is in the midle of the room between the couch and the smart tv.

I asked him why when i change the balance to the right the lefty speaker works alone , reply :"i conect the cables how i want why should i conect one to the left other to the right with the correct colours , it works exactelly the same", who am i to tell him that is not the same.
Good point. I have seen some weird stacking in HiFi outlets in Tottenham Court Road. :)

I have many cheese / chopping boards with absorption pads on my HiFi setups. Why pay silly money for a brand HiFi version of the same thing and if you no longer have use of it for your HiFi, you can always leave it in the kitchen ;)(y)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts