How to make most of computer based music

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there I'm just after some help upgrading my hi-fi set up as less and less of my music is available via CD.

I have most of my music on my MAC and when I buy downloads I try to get FLACs where possible. At the moment I can't play these but am future proofing. I have a Rotel RCD-02 CD player and Rotel RA-02 Amp. Basically, I want to play my electronic music via my laptop but keep the quality as high as possible like my CDs. In an ideal world I would like to not have to hard wire my laptop or iphone into the hi-fi and send wirelessly but not sure if this will deterioate the sound.

I am thinking of buying a Rotel RDD-06 DAC. This has a bluetooth dongle for wireless streaming but not sure what file sizes it takes or if it decreases quality. At the moment I am guessing that I need a 2-3m USB A to USB B cable to connect my laptop to it. Then a digital cable to connect my CD unit to the DAC and then use my expensive connects that the CD player is currently connectd to the amp with to connect the DAC to the amp.

1) Is this a good way of playing my digital music library?

2) Is this the best way to connect up? Is there a way I can connect to it wirelessly without losing quality?

3) Is it worth getting a DAC? Is the sound significantly better than sending my music to my amp via something like a mini jack or using and Apple TV or Apple Airport Express?

4) Is there a better way that isn't going to cost more than £400 to play my digital music library.

5) I have been ripping my CDs into itunes using the Apple Lossless encoder. Is this the best way?

Thanks for any help offered as I am a tad confused as to what is the best way to go forward.

A

Anonymous

Thank you so much for all your help What Hi-Fi forum community. I am amazed by the deluge of help!

Juzzie Wuzzie

Currently I stream from ipad / iphone / Mac to my Naim Nait 5i-2 through Apple Airport Express. I think it is a fantastic approach, especially when your costs are limited to £80. I'd suggest giving this approach a go. It has a built in DAC, so saves on purchasing that.

I either download music via iTunes, or rip in ALAC from CD. I haven't tried other formats, as that seems to work for me. Cost v. convenience v. return balance I guess.

That said, I am thinking of purchasing a Naim streamer to access Radio Paradise at higher bit rates (I am the world's biggest fanboy of internet radio).

Hope that helps - all is in the ears (and wallet) of the beholder.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi-Fi-Help-Please said:
Thank you so much for all your help What Hi-Fi forum community. I am amazed by the deluge of help!

I'm surprised that no-one has helped, 2 days is quite a time when you're waiting for info.

I am no expert by any stretch of even my imagination but here goes. I use Apple Lossless to an ATV3 and then optical into my DAC equipped AVI Actives and there is no loss of quality over cd playback. Many people find that the dac in the AEX is perfectly good in their system but I haven't read much praise about bluetoothing to a hifi system.

You could buy an AEX online and if it doesn't impress you then If you did need an external DAC then you have its digital source. There is lots of twaddle talked about streaming but you do not need to spend vast amounts of money to get your 1s and 0s to your hifi.

:cheers:

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi-Fi-Help-Please said:

So you bag people out for not helping you and within half an hour, one in under 10 mins, you have two replies. But you don't have the good manners to acknowledge them. So glad we could help.

:wall:

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
He may have assumed no-one was going to reply and left the forum after his second post.

Almost certainly correct. Hopefully this person isn't an ignorant article - just a frustrated one.

I posted as much for all the other ones that ask questions and then never reply to the people trying to help them. Manners cost so little.

A

Anonymous

Hi all. Yes indeed I had given up on the post so apologies for not sending my thanks through sooner.

Cheers for the help offered. Think I'm going to buy the Rotel RDD-06 DAC and then figure out best/most convenient way to get music into it once I have it.

Ta

TRENDING THREADS