How to keep HiFi safe from corroding when living near the sea

stereodome

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Would you be kind enough to help me on this? How is it possible to keep HiFi - Amps/DAC's Receiver/Vinyl Player safe from corroding/corrosion when living near the sea? My Stereo amp doesnt have standby power. Its either ON or OFF. So is the case with the record player. The DAC/CD/Receiver all are kept on standby all the time. I am getting sleepless nights thinking of my amp. Especially because I travel all the time and there is no one at home to switch the amp on once a day and play stuff.

Please help.

SD

T

the record spot

Not an issue. I live about 100 yards from the shore of the Firth of Forth at nearing its widest point and the windows in the lounge are open all the time. Here's a gratuitous shot looking westwards a few months ago...the only thing I worry about if seagull poop landing on the carpet!

9530402035_93b27e3be3_o.jpg

the record spot said:
Not an issue. I live about 100 yards from the shore of the Firth of Forth at nearing its widest point and the windows in the lounge are open all the time. Here's a gratuitous shot looking westwards a few months ago...the only thing I worry about if seagull poop landing on the carpet!

Get an owl cut-out and stick it on windowsill!

Nice shot by the way.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Do you have any problems with other electrical equipment or anything else inside your house corroding?

If you don't then I wouldn't worry about it.

Come on now, this is hifi.

You have to invent problems that don't exist so that expensive solutions can be purchased.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I live 50 yards from the clifftops at Southbourne beach in Bournemouth. My living room is facing the sea.

I never had a problem and usually have windows open unless it blows a hooley.

The only thing I do is cover the the top of my receiver when not in use. That I do because of dust, not salty air.

You'll be fine.

regards

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I live on the East Sussex coast and I treat my hifi the same way I did when I lived near London, yes there is more salt content in the air but that's it as far as I'm aware.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
steve_1979 said:
Do you have any problems with other electrical equipment or anything else inside your house corroding?

If you don't then I wouldn't worry about it.

Come on now, this is hifi.

You have to invent problems that don't exist so that expensive solutions can be purchased.

You're right Makka. I sense a gap in the market for another expensive audiophile foo product here. New high-tech audiophile grade 'anti-corrosion quartz silicon dioxide crystals' (silica gel to you and me).

You could sell them for the low price of £300 per packet (or two for just £500) with instructions for the discerning audiophile to place one inside each vulnerable piece of hifi equipment to work its hygroscopic magic keeping your hifi corrosion free. These high-tech audiophile grade quartz silicon dioxide crystals offer exceptional value too by being reusable because they've been 'scientifically developed to be molecularly dehydratable using our special dehumidification process' (they can be dried out in an oven).

You could even tell audiophiles that they've been tested by NASA scientists and are used by the American Space Agency. The best thing about this new foo product is that unlike some foosters (I'm looking at you Russ Andrews) you wouldn't need to tell lies to sell them so you'd have no worries about getting into trouble with the Advertising Standards Authority.

Just imagine if you'd spent £7000 on a new Naim DAC together with the Naim 555PS power supply. What would a few hundred pounds extra spent on some audiophile grade 'anti-corrosion quartz silicon dioxide crystals' to keep your hifi safe? It'd be a an absolute bargain that's what it'd be!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
You could even tell audiophiles that they've been tested by NASA scientists and are used by the American Space Agency. The best thing about this new foo product is that unlike some foosters (I'm looking at you Russ Andrews) you wouldn't need to tell lies to sell them so you'd have no worries about getting into trouble with the Advertising Standards Authority.

I thought that was all sorted and dont they give a 30day money back option on everything they sell?

regards

Alears said:
the record spot said:

Get an owl cut-out and stick it on windowsill!

Or stick double-sided tape on the window ledge. Worked a treat for me. We used to get sparrows and all sorts pitter-pattering along our window sill - not anymore.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
I thought that was all sorted and dont they give a 30day money back option on everything they sell?

regards

I think it's been sorted now but Russ Andrews did get in trouble with the ASA for making false claims about their products.

stereodome

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Good fun reading all the replies... The issue here is that the humidity levels tend to go to the 90's (%)... When its raining its around the 80's mark... The air is salty.. Corrodes the connectors.. Every guy in town worries me about the gear and its safety cos I am close to the sea.. ( Though not as close as Mr. Spot ).

Anyways my point was when in doubt ask. Thanks for the replies...

SD

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
stereodome said:
Hi All,

Would you be kind enough to help me on this? How is it possible to keep HiFi - Amps/DAC's Receiver/Vinyl Player safe from corroding/corrosion when living near the sea? My Stereo amp doesnt have standby power. Its either ON or OFF. So is the case with the record player. The DAC/CD/Receiver all are kept on standby all the time. I am getting sleepless nights thinking of my amp. Especially because I travel all the time and there is no one at home to switch the amp on once a day and play stuff.

Please help.

SD

Your equipment should be fine, but if you need extra reassurance, you could apply an aerosol conformal coating on the inside of your kit (if it isn't already protected to some degree)

If you Google 'conformal coating', you should eventually stumble upon some suitable products.

A silicone spray polish, such as a trim restorer could be used externally to provide aditional protection to exposed surfaces.

TRENDING THREADS