How to get Audio out from 3D Blu Ray Player through Denon 1910 AVR

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I bought a DENON 1910 receiver last year....works superb....but now everyone talks of 3D....How can I get audio out from any 3d Blu Ray player to my Denon ? Video mybe can be connected to the 3d LCD...

A

Anonymous

For SD audio you just connect an optical/ coaxial cable from BD player to reciever, for HD Audio You can't unless you have a 3d Bd player with dual Hdmi outputs of which one can be used for audio the other for Video. Panasonic does such 3D BD players as far as I know.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
It'd need to be a 3D Blu-ray player with two HDMI outs - one for video directly to a 3D-ready display, and then another for sound to the Denon.

The other option would be a player with multichannel analogue outs, so it could decode HD audio to PCM onboard and feed into the Denon.

As your post suggests you are already aware, a single HDMI won't be able to carry out both video and audio duties, since the Denon won't pass through a 3D signal.

A

Anonymous

thanx.........I have PS3 120 (Slim) when it starts supporting 3D ( After the firmaware upgrade as per sony) how can I solve this problem? PS3 has only one HDMI....any HDMI splitter available?

A

Anonymous

That will be a bit of a problem, there should be something like that but am not sure about that, buth it should be some sort of switch box rather then a y splitter.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
xon501:That will be a bit of a problem, there should be something like that but am not sure about that, buth it should be some sort of switch box rather then a y splitter.

Ditto, I'm not 100% on that either, but it seems unlikely you can split audio and video signals once they have been sent over HDMI - but I could be completely wrong. I need to do my research!

But my instinct tells me you may have to settle either for HD audio decoded onboard and sent over multichannel analogue, or for lossy audio over an optical or coaxial digital connection.

A

Anonymous

if sony is going to give a 3d firmware upgrade to existing PS3, then should there be really any problem ? Because HDMI 1.3a already exists and there is no way to change it...then I feel there will be no problem for the exisitng Denon 1910 to pass the audio....right?

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
shekhar.royal:if sony is going to give a 3d firmware upgrade to existing PS3, then should there be really any problem ? Because HDMI 1.3a already exists and there is no way to change it...then I feel there will be no problem for the exisitng Denon 1910 to pass the audio....right?

The issue here isn't whether the Denon can deal with HD audio over HDMI (we know it can) - the issue is that it won't be able to pass through a 3D signal to your 3D-Ready TV.

So how to get a 3D picture AND HD audio together becomes more complicated - as I've said, unless the player has two HDMI outs, one for video and one for audio (which the PS3 doesn't), or multichannel analogue outputs (again, nada) then you're left with optical digital for lossy audio.

The 3D firmware upgrade for PS3 only means that the unit itself will be able to deal with 3D. It's the Denon which is incompatible with 3D, and is unable, unfortunately, to be updated via firmware.

A

Anonymous

I got something here.....http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%203port.htm

love to have ur feedback

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No good: that's designed to work three-in-one-out, not one-in-three-out. It also only routes one input to the output at a time, for obvious reasons.

And anyway, if you could split the signal the HDMI connection would default to the lowest common denominator, so the fact one 'client' (ie the amp) couldn't accept 3D would most likely stop 3D being sent.

The Panasonic player gets round this by having completely separate outputs - one HDMI1.4 for the 3D video, the other HDMI 1.3 for the audio to the amp - so the problem doesn't arise.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your feedback......I was just thinking of how to sort the problem when I get the 3d firmware upgrade for my PS3 slim later this year.....in that case how will I get the audio out?? I dont wanna change my amps because i got it only last year and it has not disappointed me yet...( Got it after whathifi gave it 5 stars)

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Let me put this as plainly as I can.

You won't be able to get both 3D video and HD audio from your PS3 using your current setup. The Denon 1910 cannot pass through the 3D signal, so you'd have to connect the PS3 directly to the TV via HDMI. This leaves you with the PS3s optical output for sound, which means you can only get 'lossy' Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks.

I don't blame you for not wanting to change the amp (it's awesome). The other option here is to buy a new 3D Blu-ray player which can output both a 3D signal to your TV and a HD audio signal to your Denon. If you insist on keeping the PS3 on Blu-ray duties, then the Denon has to go.

Something's gotta give...

A

Anonymous

Will the PS3 update change the HDMI from a 1.3 to a 1.4, or will it create some pseudo 3D signal that maybe the Denon may be able to pass through? Are they physically the same? If they are the same then why can't existing BluRay players be upgraded also? Probably down to commercial reasons or processor power.

I've not researched this so excuse my ignorance if it's already been explained.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i know someone who has a ps3 slim and a denon 1909 the same as me and he has bought a 3d tv and only has one 3d film i think its monsters a cartoon and he has to send an optical to hes amp and a hdmi to the tv . i guess its 1.4 so they are right you cant pass tv signal though only sound. The blue light still comes on.

A

Anonymous

I found an interesting article with regard to PS3 3d update.....what is your view?some comments on HDMI 1.3 and 1.4a is also given in this article.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20010230-1.html

A

Anonymous

Interesting article on PS3 3d firmware update....

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20010230-1.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts