How to enable quasi Atmos on marantz SR 6011

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Got all wired up and calibrated by audessey for 5.1.4 . Was watching Avatar Blu-ray today, but couldn't feel the inceiling speakers kick in. Any suggestions on how to enable it would be very thankful. Thanks :)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
First of all make sure your BDP is streaming bitstream or UNdecoded audio to your receiver.

Second try all the available audio formats including Dolby and DTS:X.

Thirdly try a BD where there's sure to be some appreciable overhead effects. I haven't watched Avatar so I don't know, but you can imagine a movie consisting of two talking heads sat at a table isn't going to have any Atmos (real or pseudo) whereas a Star Wars or Marvel might.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
page 132 in the online manual show's you how to change sound modes while watching a film.

Avatar on bluray does not come with either a Atmos or DTS X mix, only a standard DTS Master audio sound track, that is why newlash09 cannot hear anything coming out of his overhead speakers but the DTS Neural:X mode on his amp is designed to upmix standard 5.1 or 7.1 soundtracks to include overhead speakers, this is what newlash09 means about "quasi Atmos".

hope this helps.

*music2*

ps. maybe a refresh of the manual is in order, I know its 312 pages but you would have found the answer to your problem.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
as long as you have updated the firmware to include the ability to decode DTS X soundtracks then it should also come with DTS Neural:X as well so you too should be okay.

*music2*

leenorm1

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Got all wired up and calibrated by audessey for 5.1.4 . Was watching Avatar Blu-ray today, but couldn't feel the inceiling speakers kick in. Any suggestions on how to enable it would be very thankful. Thanks :)

As someone mentioned, enable bitstream audio in Blu Ray player, on your AV Receiver select DTS & Dolby Surround

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
leenorm1 said:
newlash09 said:

As someone mentioned, enable bitstream audio in Blu Ray player, on your AV Receiver select DTS & Dolby Surround

I have managed to get quasi Atmos by selecting the DTS: neural X in the movie sound mode.

And I don't have a UHD player as yet. Using Roku 4 for streaming. But haven't come across any 4k Atmos content as yet .

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Correction. I think Netflix may be streaming Atmos but you have to have the Netflix UHD plan and of course a Netflix UHD compatible box.

See:

http://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
And can play the same content from the built in app in my LG TV. However the Roku I bought is from the US in my last trip. And as Roku is officially not available where I live, it doesn't show me 4k content as of now. It even has hdcp 2.2 issues with my LG TV. Though both the marantz and TV are hdcp compliant ( the HDMI 1 port on the LG is hdcp 2.2, and iam using that to connect ). But there are still hand shake issues.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
If you have a smart TV try connecting that to your home internet (wired best, wireless okay) and install the Netflix app. Run Netflix on your TV and not the Roku box. Failing that belt an Amazon Fire box the old square one with a built in Ethernet socket) (best) or stick (second best).

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
If you have a smart TV try connecting that to your home internet (wired best, wireless okay) and install the Netflix app. Run Netflix on your TV and not the Roku box. Failing that belt an Amazon Fire box the old square one with a built in Ethernet socket) (best) or stick (second best).

That is what iam seriously considering now. Since I don't stay at home much, I have wired the entire system to be controlled via a tablet with Logitech harmony elite system for ease of use for my wife and my little daughter. And since my wife listens to my music on my hard drive from the same system, I use the 'my music' app on the Roku, to access my Nas setup. So I have shifted the HDMI input on the TV from arc to HDMI 1 which hdcp 2.2 compliant on paper. But looks like I will start using the inbuilt app of the TV again. But don't know how to configure harmony to choose apps on my tv

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
On thinking about this, I'm not sure Atmos can be carried over the ARC line from your TV back to the receiver. I think its limited to 5.1 or 7.1. You may have to hook your Roku or Amazon box up to the recover first, then run a second HDMI to the TV.

leenorm1

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Have you got Sky Q? There is some Atmos content on there. Just watched Ghost In A Shell, at least I think it was called that ( Yes it was that good ) That was downloaded in Atmos.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
leenorm1 said:
Have you got Sky Q? There is some Atmos content on there. Just watched Ghost In A Shell, at least I think it was called that ( Yes it was that good ) That was downloaded in Atmos.

Unfortunately sky Q is not available where I live. Iam not from the UK :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
On thinking about this, I'm not sure Atmos can be carried over the ARC line from your TV back to the receiver. I think its limited to 5.1 or 7.1. You may have to hook your Roku or Amazon box up to the recover first, then run a second HDMI to the TV.

It seems the Roku can send out Atmos films too. Saw spectral with my nephew yesterday night. And Dolby Atmos popped up under the movie sound modes, so played it. Since I was already used to watching non Atmos movies in DTS:neural X mode, really couldn't hear the difference. Guess the marantz is doing a splendid job extrapolating normal 5.1 to 5.1.4 :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts