2 channel stereo playback on marantz SR6011

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi all...fondly hope the new year has been joyous to you all here.

I got myself a marantz SR6011 for my future 5.2.4 atmos setup in the living room. The 5.2 system will be qacoustics q7000i, and the in ceiling will be wharfdale W170 speakers.

The above setup will be in my new home. Due to be completed in Dec this year. Till then iam running a 5.1 setup with the Q7000i and it sounds really good.

I also have a stereo setup of Qacoustics concept 40 speakers with a bluesound power node in a different room. Now as the SR6011 had been calibrated and configured with my q7000i, iam curious how to connect my concept 40 floor Stander's as front speakers and listen to them as full range speakers in 2 channel stereo. If I just swap them in place of the satellites. Will the SR6011 still apply audessey correction in 2 channel stereo.

I really don't want to reset the receiver to factory settings and connect the concept 40 speakers. And recalibrate everything again when I change to the q7000i system.

I also have a cheap monoprice 4 speaker inter switch. So I can basically keep both the sets of speakers connected to this interswitch . Now when I change from satellites to floorstanders, using this switch. The marantz has to come out of audessey correction for the q7000i satellite speakers ,and into full range floor Stander's. Is there some way of doing it , that I've missed so far.

Thanks for your time.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I take it what you're hoping to do is swap out your current fronts for a pair of floorstanders more suited to "proper stereo" duties and ditch or reassign the current fronts to something else.

I suspect that the best results will come from running Audessey again, as the software corrects for the tonal and volume characteristics of the speakers you ran it with the first time. Therefore using different speakers won't produce the same sound levels, frequency spectra, etc. and you're just as likely to end up with horrible sounding fronts as you are with musical nirvana.

That having been said, you don't have to reset the receiver back to the "just out of the box condition" to re-run Audessey. It only takes 15 minutes or so, and I'm sure the results will be far better than putting a mechanical switch in the speaker wires. The switch won't change what comes out of the receiver, so if you were getting horrible sound before putting in the switch, you'll still get horrible sound afterwards.

scene

Definitely the best approach would be to run the Audyssey set up again, having permanently wired in your full size speakers. I've got an SR7009 with floorstanders (MA Silver 8is) for the front pair and sats for the rears. I'd redeploy the current front pair as height/width/atmos speakers as suggested by Benedict_Arnold

Having full size fronts allow you to run Direct / Pure Direct with the front pair on the Marantz, which can be well worth it for true stereo performance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts