Is 4k going to be our last upgrade?

T

theflyingwasp

Guest
I get the impression that many of us myself included are very happy with Blu ray some of the films and tv shows look quite simply phenomenal .now throw into the mix calibrated screens and 5.1 - 11.1 surround sound from today state of art receivers and well there ain't getting no better!

but there is 4k to look forward to and sooner or later we are all going to have an oversized screen making the most of film and sport in 4k.its really hard to imagine sitting watching Avatar 2 in OLED 4k on a 70-90 inch screen at 60fps in 3D without the glasses in the comfort of your home and that time will come .....but then what?

Is that it I mean will 8k tvs ever be worth manufacturing for the home market? 7.1 will be more than most of us will need in the sound department even the mega rich probably won't consider Dolby Atmos for home set-ups and I doubt 9.1 and 11.1 will become the norm for Blu ray.For many of us our next upgrades might be our last for a very very long time.
 

jjbomber

Well-known member
Hologram Tvs. The World Cup in Japan will be shown live in 10 stadiums around the World, including Wembley. The pitch will be covered in a 100metre by 60 metre TV and the players will appear as live holograms. It may also be the future of 'live' music.
 

simonlewis

New member
Apr 15, 2008
590
1
0
8K will probably be around in ten years time, so no this won't be the last uprade, do you want it to be ???
 
T

theflyingwasp

Guest
If only I liked football :) sounds awesome tho!

Bring on the holodeck in Star Trek!
 
T

theflyingwasp

Guest
simonlewis said:
8K will probably be around in ten years time, so no this won't be the last uprade, do you want it to be ???

ah well that's another good point .its not exactly a cheap hobby this home cinema lark.maybe a lot of people will be happy to call it quits after 4k.
 
T

theflyingwasp

Guest
simonlewis said:
8K will probably be around in ten years time, so no this won't be the last uprade, do you want it to be ???

also at what size of screen will 8k need to be to be appreciated in the home.i still see no point in getting a 55 - 65 inch 4k tv opposed to a current calibrated flagship tv at the moment.
 

spiny norman

New member
Jan 14, 2009
293
0
0
jjbomber said:
Hologram Tvs. The World Cup in Japan will be shown live in 10 stadiums around the World, including Wembley. The pitch will be covered in a 100metre by 60 metre TV and the players will appear as live holograms. It may also be the future of 'live' music.

Wasn't there a WHF news story a couple of years back suggesting that's exactly what the Japanese broadcasters were planning?
 

andyjm

New member
Jul 20, 2012
15
3
0
theflyingwasp said:
I get the impression that many of us myself included are very happy with Blu ray some of the films and tv shows look quite simply phenomenal .now throw into the mix calibrated screens and 5.1 - 11.1 surround sound from today state of art receivers and well there ain't getting no better!

but there is 4k to look forward to and sooner or later we are all going to have an oversized screen making the most of film and sport in 4k.its really hard to imagine sitting watching Avatar 2 in OLED 4k on a 70-90 inch screen at 60fps in 3D without the glasses in the comfort of your home and that time will come .....but then what?

I have a 1080p projector and large screen. While a little more resolution would be nice to have, it doesn't impact our viewing pleasure. What is a complete pain are the rapid camera movements in many of the current 'action movies'. A few minutes of wild camera action has me not bothering to try to follow the action, and reaching for the remote.

I guess it could be argued that I sit too close to the screen, but if the point of 4K is to have bigger screens, then I would argue we are already at the point where (some of) the current releases are unwatchable.
 

spiny norman

New member
Jan 14, 2009
293
0
0
spiny norman said:
jjbomber said:
Hologram Tvs. The World Cup in Japan will be shown live in 10 stadiums around the World, including Wembley. The pitch will be covered in a 100metre by 60 metre TV and the players will appear as live holograms. It may also be the future of 'live' music.

Wasn't there a WHF news story a couple of years back suggesting that's exactly what the Japanese broadcasters were planning?

Ah yes, here it is

187730097gt.jpg
 

BenLaw

Well-known member
Nov 21, 2010
475
7
18,895
spiny norman said:
jjbomber said:
Hologram Tvs. The World Cup in Japan will be shown live in 10 stadiums around the World, including Wembley. The pitch will be covered in a 100metre by 60 metre TV and the players will appear as live holograms. It may also be the future of 'live' music.

Wasn't there a WHF news story a couple of years back suggesting that's exactly what the Japanese broadcasters were planning?

I imagine that's why he said it.
 

spiny norman

New member
Jan 14, 2009
293
0
0
BenLaw said:
I imagine that's why he said it.

Sorry, was more me thinking aloud and trying to remember where I'd read about these plans, but now I've found the story and linked to it.
 

Frank Harvey

Well-known member
Jun 27, 2008
567
1
18,890
theflyingwasp said:
I get the impression that many of us myself included are very happy with Blu ray some of the films and tv shows look quite simply phenomenal .
Unless your name is Jason Bradbury, who was apprently disappointed with HD when it appeared, and says that Bluray is of "no use" for films....:doh:

but there is 4k to look forward to and sooner or later we are all going to have an oversized screen making the most of film and sport in 4k.its really hard to imagine sitting watching Avatar 2 in OLED 4k on a 70-90 inch screen at 60fps in 3D without the glasses in the comfort of your home and that time will come .....but then what?
I'm not keen on 3D myself, and I only have one film that I would watch in 3D (Gravity), but I would want a pretty big screen for 3D use - I don't feel 3D is really effective unless it fills the majority of your field of vision. For 40-65" screens, I don't see any use for 3D, other than something for the kids.

Is that it I mean will 8k tvs ever be worth manufacturing for the home market? 7.1 will be more than most of us will need in the sound department even the mega rich probably won't consider Dolby Atmos for home set-ups and I doubt 9.1 and 11.1 will become the norm for Blu ray.For many of us our next upgrades might be our last for a very very long time.
For screens up to current popular sizes (up to about 65"), 1080p is more than good enough, and I think many will probably struggle to enjoy real benefits from 4K on screens of that size. Where 4K will come into its own will be projector based systems, which will allow people to have projection screens around 50-100% bigger than they're currently using without loss of quality. Imagine good quality 3D on a pin sharp 15 foot screen...
 
T

theflyingwasp

Guest
Hi David

I have to say I will keep on defending 3D .ive always liked it.i am 8ft from 60inchs in blackout conditions and I watched the hobbit ,R.I.P.D and frozen back to back with no eye fatigue.all of them looked excellent.

do you find yourself biting your tongue when customers want a small 4k screen.not everyone wants or needs a large screen and each to their own etc but you know what I mean.its a lot of extra cash for very little benifet over 1080p
 

simonlewis

New member
Apr 15, 2008
590
1
0
I was just wondering, do you think new houses will be built differently to accomodate larger tvs. :?
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,253
26
19,220
simonlewis said:
I was just wondering, do you think new houses will be built differently to accomodate larger tvs. :?

Of course they will. What other conceivable reason could there be for moving to a larger house?
 

duaplex

New member
Feb 22, 2011
214
0
0
We all said that about Laser Disc, then DVD, then Bluray and now 4K. As screen sizes get bigger the demand on content is greater. There will never be an end :) It will be the end of the TV set as you know it and soon we will have, as BB suggested above have, walls that are TV screens. Then the Holodeck which is what I am waiting for!!!!
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts