How to connect computer to Digital Input?

Stephan A

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello

I am considering to buy the ADM AVI 9.1 since it should be an easy solution and very easy to find room for in a small flat..

But I can't seem to figure out how I connect my computer with it? I have a stationary and a laptop. The AVI has 2 digital input and 1 analog. I do not wish to use the analog since I want the best quality. How is it possible? Since I do not have Macs Airport express is out of the picture I guess sice I would like to get ALL of the sound out.

daveh75

Stephan A said:
Since I do not have Macs Airport express is out of the picture I guess sice I would like to get ALL of the sound out.

You certainly can use an AEX with a PC.

Alternatively, if your PC/laptop doesn't have a combined headphone/mini toslink output (like some macs and PCs do) then an inexpensive USB audio interface/soundcard like the behringer UCA202 would give you a toslink output.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/behringer-uca202-u-control-usb-audio-interface/944?gclid=CjgKEAjwz7mdBRDS46_ipNqqsEQSJAC4rrGk3oK0Z9vVafnr84o5Ga48U-JFc9W0Is8qg2uckOjmXPD_BwE

Stephan A

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Alternatively, if your PC/laptop doesn't have a combined headphone/mini toslink output

How do I know if my Laptop have it or not? Or how do I find out?

And will the sound still be high quality when using such a device versus computers with a combined headphone/mini toslink output?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
You could do an internet search for your Pc/laptop model number and look at the audio output specs.

The sound quality will be just fine regardless and the UCA202 suggestion is perfect for an alternative connection method.

The only real decision is whether or not you want to be tethered by a physical connection or would like wireless.

Stephan A

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Overdose said:
The only real decision is whether or not you want to be tethered by a physical connection or would like wireless.

I have found out that my desk computer is supporting the SPDIF where my laptop doesn't. I would of course like a wireless solution but don't find any that won't cost my right arm or not give the same sound quality since I don't have apple products beside of my phone.

Is there any solutions to this?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Stephan A said:
Overdose said:

I have found out that my desk computer is supporting the SPDIF where my laptop doesn't. I would of course like a wireless solution but don't find any that won't cost my right arm or not give the same sound quality since I don't have apple products beside of my phone.

Is there any solutions to this?

Firstly, if an optical cable will reach the ADMs and you wish to use your Pc as a server, then this is the way to go. Control the Pc media player with whichever app suits.

If you are using iTunes, then an Airport Express connected digitally to the ADMs provides an elegant wifi solution that will not give you any sound quality problems. You could use the iTunes remote app with your phone, to remote control either the Pc or laptop running iTunes in this case.

You could consider a second hand Mac mini as a server and dedicate this to music. This would not neccessarily cost the earth and give you storage and playback functions.

I use the Mac mini in this role, but also have a couple of Airport Expresses plugged in around the house. All in all, they work very well.

Whichever route you take, be sure to make a backup copy of your music, as retrieving it or re-ripping can be a nightmare if you have a lot of music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts