How old (more or less) are the Primare i21 and i30 models?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'd lile to know how old this models are.

I mean, the year of release of this models (more or less).I've downloaded the manual of the i30 and it has a 'Copyright © 2001–2004 Primare Systems AB'. The i21 manual has a 'Copyright © 2004 Primare Systems AB'. Is that more or less correct?

I'm considering them as candidates of being my next amp, and it would be frustrating buying a new one and after a short period a new release comes out to the market improved and at the same price.
emotion-39.gif

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I've seen some posts on another site about rumours that new models should come to the market shortly.. although everyone expects that price might be higher.. I guess good time to get a decent price on the old models maybe?

I personally look at Arcam A38 vs Primare I30. Did you get a chance to compare the two? I've heard that I30 was better than A32 not sure if still the case vs A38.

John Duncan

I thought the i21 was newer than that. I think the i30 was replaced by the i31 and then re-replaced because it wasn't as good!

But I wouldn't worry about it, unless they change the aesthetics or size - the 'i' series are bigger than the old 'a' series, but the old ones are still fab. The i21 is very good value on eBay as well, what with it being 'only' a four star product.......

A

Anonymous

Didn't have the chance to compare with Arcam models. Indeed, I've never heard any Arcam hardware.

I just have listened to i21 connected to its sibling CD player and a pair of B&W 683. Was very good to my ears.

A

Anonymous

You mean I decide for the i21 and CD21?

I think this will be the option I'll take. But I'm afer a second hand i30, and also still trying to know how does it compares de Primare i21 to the CambridgeAudio 840v2, which offers more bells & wistles for a few ? more.

But allways find people complaing about Cambridge stuff in this forum. Outside the UK we don't have the feeling of buying the RicherSound's cheap brand because we don't have RicherSound strores
emotion-4.gif

Just GerrardSnails seems to be happy with his Cambridge 840A. I'm sure it has wonderful sound.

And, and don't trust this mag rating method. Just because other models come to market, or because the mood of the reviewer stars go up and down. If a product is good, is good and their 'stars' can not go up and down in the same year.

A

Anonymous

John,

Will it be good (Primare i21) with my MonitorAudio RS8?

John Duncan

Haven't heard them with the RS8, but I would expect them to not excite those bright tweeters too much - probably better suited than the equivalent Roksan or Cyrus kit.

You must audition them together though, if you;re spending nigh-on two grand......

A

Anonymous

I found out from CSE (their UK distributor) that there will be newer models in the next year or two. A-V first, a mk2 pre amp (there is already an a31.2 power amp). The current range hits the spot though so i'd say buying current range is not a risk imho especially given releases aren't due for a little while yet. I've currently the i21 linked up with the a30.2 together with the cd21 and couldn't be happier with the results. Solid purchases - you won't be disappointed. As they are on the warm side of neutral I'd say they would match pretty well with most speakers (even bright ones) but do try to audition first. The proacs i'e got now sounded bright with roksan electronics but coupled with the primare were a different kettle of fish altogether. Make sure you don't mind the slight slowness of bass with the i21 (something that prompted me to add the power amp which significantly improved it) However this is a mnor quibble given the outstanding quality/value for money i think it represents :_)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
smo:
John,

Smo, have you tried the 840A and C together? Thaiman, before he went all Tiger Woods on us, raved over the 840 cd player and reckons it's the best spinner you can buy under £1000. I've read lots of reviews that say similar. Thaiman didn't fancy my amp though! You have to give them a demo together though as RS offer a home trial on the 740 and above products. I like the look of the Primare stuff too, who wouldn't. However, I think that the top of the range CA is great value and people scoff because it's not a trendy label.

John Duncan

Gerrardasnails:smo:
John,

Smo, have you tried the 840A and C together? Thaiman, before he went all Tiger Woods on us, raved over the 840 cd player and reckons it's the best spinner you can buy under £1000. I've read lots of reviews that say similar. Thaiman didn't fancy my amp though! You have to give them a demo together though as RS offer a home trial on the 740 and above products. I like the look of the Primare stuff too, who wouldn't. However, I think that the top of the range CA is great value and people scoff because it's not a trendy label.

Agreed - it's much better value than practically anything else on the market. I don't personally like the look of the 7 or 8, but I had a 640c and loved it - the digital in is a boon in this day and age as well.

But buy the Primare anyway......
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

The time to decide is coming... I'll keep you infomed.

It's a pity I can't have an audiotion of the 840 range here where I live... That's one of the cons of living in a Mediterranean island. But we have some more pros...

A

Anonymous

Hi Gerrard,

I'd love to try the Cambridge 840 pair as I feel I get the top of the range products of a highly awarded brand.

I'm not the kind of person who buys ans sells gadgets and is allways unsatisfied with the sound he gets, I want to do a sure buy. I mean, it's maybe better buying the best Honda than the cheapest Mercedes...

So, as I'm seriously considering the Primare i21, I'm not sure if I should make the effort to get the i30 and, if don't, better buy the Cambridge 840.

With Cambridge, the only thing that worries me is that here people says they may sound too bright with MA speakers.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
smo:
Hi Gerrard,

I'd love to try the Cambridge 840 pair as I feel I get the top of the range products of a highly awarded brand.

I'm not the kind of person who buys ans sells gadgets and is allways unsatisfied with the sound he gets, I want to do a sure buy. I mean, it's maybe better buying the best Honda than the cheapest Mercedes...

So, as I'm seriously considering the Primare i21, I'm not sure if I should make the effort to get the i30 and, if don't, better buy the Cambridge 840.

With Cambridge, the only thing that worries me is that here people says they may sound too bright with MA speakers.

I don't have this problem at all. Thaiman has told me that my cd player is lovely and warm and that helps balance things. I think Primare or Arcam (sorry JD) will be great with the 840 and RS speakers. I can honestly say that I don't get any brightness at all and we play a varied array of cds. You have probably read them already but here you go....

http://www.hifijunction.com.au/cambridge-840a-integrated-amp-/

All of these can't be wrong can they?

A

Anonymous

I agree you. They're excellent gadgets.

If they give a wide sound stage so that you can distinguish the position of each musician when playing a properly recorded CD they're all I want.

That's what I liked of the Primare x21 combo (and obviously their build quality and design).

A

Anonymous

I agree your mother in law. They look superb and make you feel and the others who come to your house that the gadgets costs twice their price.

A

Anonymous

It's really quite simple: with the Primare, apart from the looks, build quality, cachet etc you can upgrade the rest of your kit to your hearts content. Arcam and Cambridge Audio may be fine, but try them with something like Sonus Faber Cremonas or similar, and they'll be found wanting. Primare won't.

A

Anonymous

By the way, I didn't mean to disparage either Arcam or Cambridge Audio, they both make fine gear and I won't be parted from my old CD4SE. It's just that Primare seem to be able to move up a class with more ease. Rega and Naim also seem to have that ability - have you considered them?

A

Anonymous

I'm not going to conseder more brands thant that and I'll explain you why...

For example, I won't buy Cambridge here where I live. I would if I live in the UK. But the store where I go has broken relationships with the distributor for their poor customer service. He has told me so many stories about amps and CD that stop working afer few hours of being out of the box and the distributor policy is to repair the brand new stuff instead of directly change it for a new one. He also told me the story of a customer with the volume control going up and down and repaired twice and taking more than one month.

There in the UK as I've read in this forum, people get their amps sorted easily.

So the story is going to be between Primare i21 and Primare i30. If i30 deserves it I'l do the extra effort and wont buy the CD player. If i21 is more than enough, I'll get the CD.

I have to test as well a ex-demo musical fidelity wich is a new but old model. Is huge and heavy and have a big volume control (don't know the model, but it's maybe the A308 integrated).

I'll keep you informed.

A

Anonymous

Well,

This post is just to let everybody who helped in all the process since I started asking for speaker recommendations 3 moths ago... since now I've decided and bought my amp and CD.

The final system is this:

- Musical Fidelity A308 Integrated amplifier (old model but new in the shop - old stocks remaining in the shop's storage).

- Musical Fidelity A3.5 CD player. Same history as above but brand new out of the box model.

- Monitor Audio Silver RS8 speakers connected to the amp with QED Silver XT Anniversary cables.

I don't know (and I don't want to know
emotion-4.gif
) if it's a bright or warm system. It's sounds sweet for me. I didn't think I could get a system this level when I started my quest three months ago.

My final audition was Primare i21 and Primare i30. Primare i30 has a sweeter sound but I didnt find it 800? euros sweeter than i21. It's so laid-back that you have to turn it to more than the half of it volume to hear it well (didn't liked that). I think i21 it's a great amp for the money and would have get it if the Musical Fidelity pack would have appeared on the way.It had sweeter treble and an overall sense of presence of everything. Easy to explain: power. It's a 150W at 8ohms giving +-46 Amps o current.

What's funny of all the story is that I saw with my own eyes how unreliable Cambridge machinery is. When I was taking my new stuff out of the shop a customer entered and started complaining about the volume wheel working badly in his Cambridge A740. Once he went out of the shop the guy in the shop told me: "You heard that? Now you see... I told you."

Thanks to everybody who helped on the way.

John Duncan, I was near of getting the Primare. I swear...
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts