How old (more or less) are the Primare i21 and i30 models?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

That's ok, the other really good stereo I've had was an MF X-Ray (the A3 in a smaller box) and X80. Great knobs too.....
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks John,

If anytime in my life I need to get another HIFI system I'll get the Primare i2x equivalent. My wife got a little bit upset when bought the other... Not as classy or elegant in its design as the Primare.

The Musical Fidelity is like heavy machinery.

That's what I have:

a308_pre_lrg.jpg

and

a35_cd_lrg.jpg

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Superb kit there smo. I was wondering what the difference in sound might be between the I30 and the MF A5.5 (or even A5). Have you heard them?

A

Anonymous

Well,

I haven't heard the A5 or A5.5 but I guess they sound more or less the same as mine (A308) but with more power...

Needless to say the i30 is a great amp.

The main fact that made me decide for the MF A308 is that this amp doesn't give you anything special until the volume control is set to 45. Taking in account that the volume range is 0-79, this means that you have to set the volume up to more than the half of it. With the i30 you can make something crazy that you would no do with any other amp that is turning it to the max volume and you can stand it quite easily. If I just can no t stand mine at the half of its volume. But this is just anecdotic and doesn't say anything about sound quality.

The sound quality in the i30 is superb and offers lots of detail but I found it to have a too much laid-back sound. That's nothing bad if you like it. But, I found the MF hights sweeter and better defined and what makde the diffreence (and what made me decide) is the extra dose of power that shakes your body (even at low volumes) with every change in the music.

That's my opinion only and is based in my experience which is short and poor in the HIFI world.

A

Anonymous

Glad you got there in the end smo! If I didn't go down the Primare route I'm sure I'd be with MF now :). The MF stuff is certainly good with dynamics for sure. Surprised that the I30 was rel. quiet though - the I21 I had would make your ears bleed past 45 and same with the pre 30 /a30.2. I can't remember if there is a vol step control on the i30 which makes each step up in volume that much finer? Anyhow, happy listening!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Jaxon,

I think Primare designers and engineers have their reason for that.

The volume 'curve' in Primare amplifiers (i21 and i30) is so different. With the i21 you have more than enough at a volume of 30. To get the same 'loudness' with the i30 you have to turn it up to 60. But the volume curve is not the same in the 0-40 range and the 41-79. From 40 the volume increments are more noticeable. Don't understand that, but as I said before the engineers sure have their reasons.

Ah. The CD player I bought is the MF A3.5 (the one in the image above) and not the A3.2 as I posted previously.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts