How NOT to get a firmware update from Panasonic Customer Services? :-(

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have been most unsuccessful in obtaining an SD software update for my Panasonic Viera Z1 from customer services at Panasonic UK.

I unfortunately cannot easily make an ethernet connection to my router as it is on a different floor to my TV. I would not dream of trying homeplugs to route ethernet over AC mains for such an important firmware update.

I am currently at f/w 2.407, I know there is a more recent update of 2.503 or maybe even later now. Customer services is adamant there is no update available for me.

I am flabbergasted as to how difficult their customer services are being over such a simple matter.[:eek:]

I wrongly thought making reference to the heated Panasonic thread on here would ensure that such a matter would be dealt with simply and effectively. All customer services are outlining to me is the option of a refund![:^)]

Given how well Z1 performs most of the time I am not keen to go down that road.

Like the GT20 you reviewed my model has issues with floating blacks and whites (contrast) in all modes except GAME mode. Daytime viewing can be most challenging as the photo sensor is being used regardless of ECO mode status. This dynamic picture processing is most undesirable in Cinema and THX mode. I can not believe that this issue existed when you reviewed it - it's unlikely that hardware has been revised in Z1 to produce this.[*-)]

I suspect a firmware revision could resolve this, unless the Z1 hardware is actually faulty??[:S] My reporting of this issue to their team in Japan was bounced back to the UK. [:(] So not much listening going on at Panasonic Japan then.....[:$]

If Clare (WHF editor) or other staff know how to get productive help from Panasonic UK then I am listening.[:)]

P.S. I was speaking to another Z1 owner who has f/w 2.403 and his unit has no floating blacks or contrast issues. I live in hope that a future firmware update addresses this, but given the above scenario, I may never know!!

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Just a few suggestions if you get no joy with any direct response -

Are you able to download the update to a USB stick and put on the TV or is it just Ethernet? If only Ethernet you could always create a bridge from a laptop run on wireless internet and plug that directly into the TV (I've done this before to run an X-Box over the internet when I had no wireless stick for it, can't remember exactly what was involved but I'm sure Google will know). Homeplugs have been 100% reliable in my house, much more so than wireless in-fact, which is why I changed over to them...

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Jim, I will look into this. I have a few laptops to hand, its knowing how to do this bridge business you talk of!

It is Ethernet only on Z1 tuner box, Not at all impressed with their response.

A

Anonymous

i think you worry to much about homeplugs.

if you had used them it would of saved u time and effort :)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
StanleyAV - I'll flag this thread up to Panasonic plus see if they've any general advice re updates.

But I do have to say, I think it's harsh to knock their customer services too hard if they have offered you a full refund.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Have to say...

Had best customer service ever from Panasonic. They made a certain store beginning with 'C' ,6 letters, change a faulty DVD recorder i purchased. Store refused as i had, had it a month and they held it for 5 weeks for repair. Never worked and held discs, without Panny's help i would have never got a new replacement piece of kit.

Also, when my PJ needed repair, thinking i had only 12 months warranty from store i called them. They collected the next day, changed lens and updated firmware, returned in 4 days. Then told me it was 'free of charge' as they support PJ's for 2 years.

Want to talk poor customer service-try calling Sony!

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
StanleyAV - I'll flag this thread up to Panasonic plus see if they've any general advice re updates.

But I do have to say, I think it's harsh to knock their customer services too hard if they have offered you a full refund.

Offering a refund was overkill for what I wanted Claire. It wouldn't have been too much trouble to supply me with a more current software on SD card. I was told there is no more recent software, that just isn't true!!
emotion-12.gif

I find their whole attitude to customer requests more than a little tiresome.
emotion-43.gif

A

Anonymous

@Stanley

Some times the older versions are better - like on my Vantage sat receiver, the old version works best. Maybe, maybe - the original firmware before they got the idea of adjusting the black level issue in 2010, is the best to use ? Unless the hardware is different - if same, I see no reason why an early firmware shouldnt work. I mean - the reviews made of professional people didnt experience theese problems in 2009.

A

Anonymous

Have you tried watching another Z1 in the shop you baught the present Z1 if it has the same problem ?

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Definately no need to worry about doing an update via homeplugs, lots of reasons for not using them (Interference waveband etc. ) but it will work no probs.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OK, I have received the following update from Panasonic:

"The latest version of software for the Z1 Series TV is 2.503. The only difference over the previous version is to add BBC iPlayer functionality. This version of firmware was available via over air download from Freesat earlier this month, and has just started a new download from today (27th October) to 3rd November. If the customer has the Software Update message turned on, tunes to a BBC channel on Freesat and follows the on-screen messages the firmware will be updated. "

I've also had a request from Panasonic that individual names of its customer care team are not singled out on a public forum. I have amended the original post to comply with this reasonable request.

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Many thanks for this information Clare : you're a treasure
emotion-2.gif
. If this detailed information is available on a website of theirs, can you make that known? If it isn't can you suggest to Panasonic UK that they do so.

It took me 25mins to do an OTA download from freesat. It may or may not address my issue, but I do gain BBC iplayer. I have found out that I can purchase an ethernet wireless bridge to link to my internet and will do that at some stage.

As I suspected the software/processing resides in the Z1 tuner box. The display is dumb. So in theory it would be possible to have hardware upgrades to the tuner box; if that is what is required to lose floating blacks and whites, I would even stand an upgrade cost!
emotion-5.gif
Can you pass that along to relevant contacts at Panasonic Clare?
emotion-15.gif

@PeterHerz, I would imagine that any previous version of software could be loaded by a Panasonic engineer. I doubt that the floating issue existed prior to more recent software changes. I even saw my local service centre with a spare tuner box knocking about : wonder if I can buy it?
emotion-14.gif

I never wanted to say goodbye to the Z1 for want of a current or future software update that is barmy!!
emotion-43.gif

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Having had time to evaluate the software update for Panasonic Z1, I can see that it make an appreciable difference in reducing the nuisance of floating blacks and whites. They were literally ruining nearly every broadcast I watched prior to the update.

On too many broadcasts there would be an abrupt lowering of black level
emotion-12.gif
or hiking of white level(contrast). This was becoming very frustrating. Customer services were adamant that a fix for this was not scheduled for my region. It would appear that Panasonic only note key new differences on their update logs and not much else.

Since applying 2.503, many broadcasts now have a stable black(brightness) and white(contrast) level. Occasionally some programs such as BBC's Merlin will catch out even the new processing and subtle changes in contrast were observed, and sometimes the black level : this occurred in both Normal and Cinema modes. I will need to do more assessment using THX mode.

I did think that BBC's Newsnight feeds were throwing the new processing, causing unsubtle contrast shifts, I will need to do more testing here.

Whether a further refinement of processing is required is difficult to say. It may well be the case that breaking in my TV for a few hundred hours or so with alleviate the situation further (if anything the previous firmware release showed it worsening with time).

THX may also be a palliative, although for general PAL broadcasts I don't believe it to be well suited.

It would be beneficial to all Panasonic Viera TV customers to gave good technical backup and information. We do need to know when new updates are rolled out. Knee jerk responses from customer services for refunds are inappropriate!!
emotion-12.gif

Customer services are not well placed to provide technical backup of a nature that discerning Panasonic customers in the UK require. It's high time that a dedicated technical support section was created, that we can liaise with and provide feedback to such that resolutions can be sought to issues that are outstanding or future concerns as they happen.

@Clare Newsome, Can you please relay the above to your contacts at Panasonic UK? in the hope that they will actively look at providing good technical support.

Thanks once again for helping me with my Panasonic TV.
emotion-2.gif

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I've had a futher look at this and some programme material : films or BBC drama (HD & SD), have noticeable contrast shifts occurring in the background or in the foreground of shots. It's almost like a flicker or flash effect, as the contrast is ramped up or down erroneously.

I did observe some black level shifts (dropping of level) in BBC HD's Luther, but this was hard to tell if this was processing or broadcast.

AT NO POINT on the Z1 do I see the black bars in movies floating!! This is another area of processing causing these dynamic contrast issues.

Examples would be : Whites (BBC HD), episode 5 : several flashes occur from mid episode onwards, kitchen and other scenes, Merlin (BBC One) : mild occurences, The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain (CH4).

This effect only occurs in Cinema or THX modes, Normal, Game and Dynamic aren't affected. However as drama and film are best viewed in Cinema or THX modes, this is something of an irksome problem. Not what the broadcaster or director intended.

For it only to affect these two modes, hardware can not be the issue. While improvements can be seen updating from 2.407 to 2.503, more refinement needs to be made to address these issues.

It would be helpful if the design team in Japan addressed these problems and released a firmware update to correct them.

@Clare, hopefully you can point this thread out to interested parties at Panasonic, many thanks.
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS