Pioneer VSX-832 stuck at Recovery: NET. - how to restore/update firmware

iyy

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
Hi colleagues.

I tried to run a software update via WiFi on VSX-832 and looks like I bricked the device. Please help.

At the first attempt, update for some reason started right away at 72% (right, not at 0) and crashed at 94% with error 1-xx on LCD (don't remember). I turned the VSX off an on, and LCD was showing "Update" and did not allow to select anything else. So I chose "Update over NET" again.

At the second attempt, it again started at 72%, crashed at 92%, and the error was 8-64. After a while, the error disappeared and LCD showed "Recovery: NET.".

Now the receiver is stuck in this state. It does not react to remote or buttons, nor is it connected to network (no Wireless/Network LED on VSX, and connected device does not appear in the logs of WLAN router). Unpowering did not help (maybe harmed).

Now, I have downloaded an update ZIP from Pioneer website and put it on a USB. However, I am not sure how I can push this software update if the VSX is not responding.

abacus

You should never use Wi-Fi to update as it requires software to communicate with the wireless router which can drop out when updating.

Connect direct to the router with a cable which should then allow full communication with the server to perform a recovery.

If you have the latest update on USB (Make absolutely sure that it is for your specific model) then usually if you switch on with the USB stick plugged in it will recognise it and instructions should appear, (You may need to use a specific USB input on your receiver) if not consult the troubleshooting guide in the manual which should tell you how to get round the problem.

Bill

Reactions: jjbomber

iyy

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
Thanks Bill, I'll try USB and network cable.

To be honest I am really surprised at Pioneer's technical unprofessionalism. I have a few other devices that update over WiFi without issues and have larger firmware file sizes. That's a poor quality implementation if Pioneer designed the update process over net so error prone.

iyy

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
Plugging USB drive with firmware did not work.
Update over network cable did work.
Thank you for the suggestion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts