Upgrades - possible update to my confusion?

Yimkin_FJ

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi, this is an update to an earlier thread, here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/upgrades-im-totally-confused

The original thread kind of descended into an airplay vs Bluetooth war, so I thought it best to start a new thread, hope this is within accepted etiquette. I've pasted the original message below, but in essence I am now considering trading everything in, and sticking solely with streaming using Spotify connect from an ipad via a chromecast audio, plus occasional streaming of ripped cds via iTunes from an external HD connected to my MacBook, using a Marantz PM6006 (£280) to my Tannoy VI standmounters, and saving to replace them with Q Acoustics 3050 floorstanders. The floorstanders would have to be 2.5m apart, with the listening position 3m away (if I stayed with bookshelf speakers they could be closer together, but would have to be mounted on an immensely heavy sideboard at slightly above ear level when sitting down).

Would this give me a significant improvement over my current Denon Ceol N-7? I listen mostly to 70's rock and 80's to present indie, and prefer a 'clear' sound.

Many thanks for any advice - also if anyone can tell me what a £500 streamer does that a chromecast doesn't? Hope that's not a silly question, but it's not obvious to me, other than the ability to connect to a standalone network drive.

insider9

Yimkin_FJ said:
Many thanks for any advice - also if anyone can tell m what a £500 streamer does that a chromecast doesn't? Hope that's not a silly question, but it's not obvious to me, other than the ability to connect to a standalone network drive.

Many things in fact. First and foremost they'd usually playback from USB and have Bluetooth and/or Airplay. Many such as Sonos and Bluesound will have decent apps integrating everythin into one. All will have a LAN connection which means no network dropouts. Some will be able to put a better antenna on it should your wifi signal be poor. Chromecast doesn't do Tidal gapless playback which for me is a must. A good number of them will also work as a DAC for other devices.

Whether you think they're worth it is entirely different matter. For me at £20 Chromecast Audio wasn't worth it. I know super value but just didn't work right in my house. If your wifi signal is strong enough and you won't be streaming FLAC or Tidal Hifi you'll most likely be fine especially should you wish to use it with external DAC.

rainsoothe

Try to audition: imo, Marantz + Q Acoustics 3050 is way too bright sounding (although who knows, you might like it).

Also, I'm a bit confused - how can you accomodate floorstanders but not stands for speakers? They would basically have the same (or similar) footprint, but floorstanders, because they go lower, are more prone to bass boom if you cannot move them away from walls/corners.

I know that the Ceol doesn't do Spotify, but if you like it's sound and find a way of implementing Spotify (be it connecting a laptop or whatever), just keep it and switch speakers (IF you think your Tannoys are the problem) Ironically, the Q Acoustics 3050 might actually make a great partner for the Ceol. Or, if space is an issue and you don't need real bass, you could try to save for Neat Iota speakers, which are even designed to go on shelves.

In any case, best thing to do is to audition stuff.

As for more expensive streamers, it's usually because of their DAC capabilities and added functinality: a 500 quid streamer should sound better out of the box, and also has several digital inputs (for using more sources, like a TV, bluray player, cd player etc that have digital outs) and some offer pre-amp capabilities, or others are all-in-one sollutions, much like the CEOL, with, of course, better amplification etc.

And, of course, there's the option of not changing anything, and saving up for a used Naim Unitiqute or UQ2 (especially since they should start droping in price even more, with the new range coming up) and build a system from there. Or a Cambridge Audio CXN + active speakers (say Adam A5x or A7X).

TRENDING THREADS