How much would i need to spend to get an amp which is better than my a400?

jhint

Nov 10, 2022
Visit site
Ive had my pioneer a400 for a few years now and am thinking of upgrading it to something a bit more modern. Im just wondering how much i would need to spend to get something better? Ive been looking at the marantz pm6006 but not sure if this would out perform the a400? Currently using tannoy mercury v4 speakers but thinking of changing them for bookshelves as im now in a smaller house/living room

Ive had my pioneer a400 for a few years now and am thinking of upgrading it to something a bit more modern. Im just wondering how much i would need to spend to get something better? Ive been looking at the marantz pm6006 but not sure if this would out perform the a400? Currently using tannoy mercury v4 speakers but thinking of changing them for bookshelves as im now in a smaller house/living room
The problem with your A400 is not quality but age.
Sooner or later it will stop working and/ or require expensive repair.
Good in it's day, and perhaps over rated, most modern amps are better.
the question is how much do you have to spend?

Reactions: nopiano
Certainly the Marantz will give you something different, whether that difference is enough is another matter. Only a demo will confirm this one way or another.

If you don't mind going the used route, then something like Arcam FMJ A18 or A19, around £150-£200 on auction sites, will be the next step up. They'll also work well with Tannoys.

For speakers, perhaps Tannoy Precision 6.1 will work a treat with Arcams as will Monitor Audio Silver range and Usher S520.

This, of course, will depend on your maximum budget.

It rather depends on your budget and what you connect to it. If you are buying brand new, you might want to consider streaming, and you might need a phono input fir a turntable.

The Marantz is a dependable buy, and there’s a matching CD player. It won’t sound the same as a forty year old Pioneer, though I’d struggle to say how.

It rather depends on your budget and what you connect to it. If you are buying brand new, you might want to consider streaming, and you might need a phono input fir a turntable.

The Marantz is a dependable buy, and there’s a matching CD player. It won’t sound the same as a forty year old Pioneer, though I’d struggle to say how.
why would he want to consider streaming? He obviously hasnt been in the past....

treesey

Just to say - the OP asked 'how much he would have to spend to get something better' and PP gave some suggestions.

I have a 40 year old Crimson that sounds fantastic. What the OP should do, IMO and IME is to get a demo of a modern amp alongside the Pioneer. He might be surprised how much he'll have to spend.

I'm really struggling to see how a suggesting a new 'cheap' streaming amp is the answer?

Reactions: matthewpianist
Just to say - the OP asked 'how much he would have to spend to get something better' and PP gave some suggestions.

I have a 40 year old Crimson that sounds fantastic. What the OP should do, IMO and IME is to get a demo of a modern amp alongside the Pioneer. He might be surprised how much he'll have to spend.

I'm really struggling to see how a suggesting a new 'cheap' streaming amp is the answer?
you are very fortunate your Crimson is still going, I had an old Quantum pre/power that was great but eventually died.
The A400 will not last forever so any new amp is potentially a good buy.....
How much the OP needs to spend to better how he perceives the A400 to sound is pretty impossible to answer.

I agree he should go listen. If it’s as clapped out as I imagine, almost anything might be better, hence my suggestion of looking beyond a basic integrated amp, as this might be another long-term buy. However, if it’s tip-top them I’d be looking at £600+ for a new amp. The usual WHF favourites are Rega, Cambridge and Musical Fidelity.

treesey

I agree he should go listen. If it’s as clapped out as I imagine, almost anything might be better.....

But why do you say that? I have the Crimson from 1979 and a Rotel RB 850 from 80 something. They both sound superb - one more energetic and the other more laid back. Just because something is old, doesn't mean it's 'clapped out'.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
You may be surprised by auditioning various amps at differing prices how well your Pioneer sounds. The brief of an amp is to accurately mimic the input with the output. Amplifier manufacturers certainly achieved that 40 years ago and earlier.

Reactions: Terry H
But why do you say that? I have the Crimson from 1979 and a Rotel RB 850 from 80 something. They both sound superb - one more energetic and the other more laid back. Just because something is old, doesn't mean it's 'clapped out'.
My experience differs as I’ve encountered amps over twenty years old sounding below par and needing significant work. You’ve done well!

matthewpianist

My comments come from experience of owning a Pioneer A400 as well as many, many other amps.

The A400 remains competitive with any modern budget amplifier, and outclasses many of them. I certainly wouldn't change it for an entry-level Marantz as (having also owned a PM6007) as that would, IMO and despite the Marantz being capable, be a noticeable step backwards. As others have said, the only potential issue is age, but I'm regularly using an amp that's 47 years old with no issues whatsoever.

The most affordable amp I would suggest trying is the Rega Brio, which you are likely to find fuller and more fluid sounding, though your current speakers will only show some rather than all of the difference. Another good option would be the Audiolab 6000A or the LEAK Stereo 130 (both of which I have heard). Perhaps the one I would choose to replace an A400 is the Cyrus ONE HD - a cracking amp that shares qualities with the Pioneer and takes them up a level.

A bigger budget will open up more possibilities, but these are solid starting points.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: treesey

Terry H

May 4, 2023
Visit site
The problem with your A400 is not quality but age.
Sooner or later it will stop working and/ or require expensive repair.
Good in it's day, and perhaps over rated, most modern amps are better.
the question is how much do you have to spend?
I still have two A400s and to me both still sound great ( i swop them around just to keep them in working order) and to me they still sound good , ok the phono stage not the best so i use a Cambridge Audio phono stage . Did a blind listening test with friends , A400 v 2018 Rega Brio R and the prefered sound was the A400 . Maybe it depends on listening enviroments , i don't know jmho . Rega Brio R is still a fine sounding amp too

Last edited:
I still have two A400s and to me both still sound great ( i swop them around just to keep them in working order) and to me they still sound good , ok the phono stage not the best so i use a Cambridge Audio phono stage . Did a blind listening test with friends , A400 v 2018 Rega Brio R and the prefered sound was the A400 . Maybe it depends on listening enviroments , i don't know jmho . Rega Brio R is still a find sounding amp too
Noted although a bit late to the party. This thread is seven months old...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts