How many of you use iPad as a source?

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
We use iPad 2 to demonstrate Sonos equipment but not yet as a source otherwise.

Anyone use iPad and/or now consider it a main music source?

Paul.

I do when my iPhone battery is running low :) I mostly use it for boring work stuff and entertaining myself whilst on public transport, but when iOS5 enables wireless screen mirroring via ATV2, I'm sure I will use it more.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It'll certainly be my main music source on holiday - both as personal player (and for those that haven't heard one, the iPad 2 sounds excellent via decent headphones) and streamed wirelessly to the Arcam rCube i'm taking as hand luggage :)

John Duncan

Tend not to yet, the spotify app is slightly incongruous since is only iPhone-sized. So I use my iPhone instead. If Spotify bring out a dedicated iPad app (preferably looking like the desktop version) then I will. I've watched a movie on it with the audio streaming via AirPlay...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy said:
Please tell me you're not going to a small Greek island in July cos (no that one) I don't think I could stand the noise from the appartment next door.

Nope, i'm going to an isolated French house where the only things my music may possibly disturb is the bees buzzing round the lavender bushes.... :)

A

Anonymous

I use my IPad to stream my music to the Bluetooth adaptor on my LX73 as my main music source, and my iPhone for the controller via redeye and vice versa.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Nope, i'm going to an isolated French house where the only things my music may possibly disturb is the bees buzzing round the lavender bushes.... :)

Bliss. Can't understand why people spend £££££s to long haul destinations when France is on our door step.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Ravey Gravey Davy said:
Please tell me you're not going to a small Greek island in July cos (no that one) I don't think I could stand the noise from the appartment next door.

Sounds very relaxing... I'm now filled with images from Jean De Florette!

iMark

It's not our main source but definitely very useful when traveling. The Spotify playlist works really well off line. My partner has taken the iPad on a trip and I have loaded it with a couple of movies and music.

On holiday I will bring the Airport Express so we can stream music either to a stereo or my Logitech portable speakers.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I have used it via Air play to my MCR603 on occasion, mainly uTube clips when I want to decent quality sound, it gets used more as a remote for the ATV or iTunes on the PC. As with all the Apple iOS products the memory is too small to be the main audio source at home.

T

the record spot

roger06 said:
Clare Newsome said:

Bliss. Can't understand why people spend £££££s to long haul destinations when France is on our door step.

If it weren't for the many millions of midges in Wester Rossshire at the weekend, I'd suggest that too. Shame the weather was a bit damp...ah, that'd be the other reason!

John Duncan

I'm a total francophile. The fact that we're going back to the same Lot campsite this year as last has, of course, nothing to do with the vain hope that Melinda Messenger may have the same idea...

A

Anonymous

If I'm ever on the move I use it. Works a treat with the Shure SE425's I have. Didn't seem to like my Grado SR325is' though, not enough power to drive em I don't think. My Desire HD sounds awful in comparison.

Hands down beats all the iPod's I've used (all of them). It's the best sounding 'portable' player imo, or at least it's on par with that old creative thing that was portable cd-player shaped.

audioaffair said:
We use iPad 2 to demonstrate Sonos equipment...

May I ask what file types you use, by which I mean wav, flac, etc., and do you find you can hear a difference between them when played from the iPad?

What I'm driving at is would the sound differ if it was played from a laptop or NAS instead?

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Monstrous said:
If I'm ever on the move I use it. Works a treat with the Shure SE425's I have. Didn't seem to like my Grado SR325is' though, not enough power to drive em I don't think. My Desire HD sounds awful in comparison.

Hands down beats all the iPod's I've used (all of them). It's the best sounding 'portable' player imo, or at least it's on par with that old creative thing that was portable cd-player shaped.

Try it with a portable iBasso headphone amp inbetween and it should have the extra oomph to drive them.

A

Anonymous

I have found the sound of the IPad so enjoyable that my headphone listening has increased ten fold. It makes a very good source going straight into active speakers as well and I find no need to experiment with adding an off board DAC.

Apple may not do everything right but this time they got it bang on! If only Spotify could hurry up with the exclusive IPad app.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I have been using mine with my Grado SR80i's for both apple lossless in iTunes and Spotify and I am very impressed with both for sound quality. Sound mush better than either my iPod or Samsung Galaxy. I also use it to catch up with TV via BBC iPlayer and 4oD.

Longer term it will also be used to control my Sonos and NAS based system.

Has anybody heard whether Spotify are bringing out a specific iPad app.....this would be brilliant. The iPhone app on the iPad is just about usable....JUST. :)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I have been using mine with my Grado SR80i's for both apple lossless in iTunes and Spotify and I am very impressed with both for sound quality. Sound mush better than either my iPod or Samsung Galaxy. I also use it to catch up with TV via BBC iPlayer and 4oD.

Longer term it will also be used to control my Sonos and NAS based system.

Has anybody heard whether Spotify are bringing out a specific iPad app.....this would be brilliant. The iPhone app on the iPad is just about usable....JUST. :)

A

Anonymous

Jason36 said:
I have been using mine with my Grado SR80i's for both apple lossless in iTunes and Spotify and I am very impressed with both for sound quality. Sound mush better than either my iPod or Samsung Galaxy. I also use it to catch up with TV via BBC iPlayer and 4oD. Longer term it will also be used to control my Sonos and NAS based system. Has anybody heard whether Spotify are bringing out a specific iPad app.....this would be brilliant. The iPhone app on the iPad is just about usable....JUST. :)

the iPad sounds so good through the mini jack out it can be connected directly to an amplifier with impressive results.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
The Limey said:
Jason36 said:
I have been using mine with my Grado SR80i's for both apple lossless in iTunes and Spotify and I am very impressed with both for sound quality. Sound mush better than either my iPod or Samsung Galaxy. I also use it to catch up with TV via BBC iPlayer and 4oD. Longer term it will also be used to control my Sonos and NAS based system. Has anybody heard whether Spotify are bringing out a specific iPad app.....this would be brilliant. The iPhone app on the iPad is just about usable....JUST. :)

the iPad sounds so good through the mini jack out it can be connected directly to an amplifier with impressive results.

Yes I must say Apple do seem to have surpassed themselves with the quality of the mini jack out......I may actually get a 3.5mm to phonograph connector to try out prior to getting the Sonos gear. Although in honesty I can see the iPad getting used mainly with the grado's for out and about listening :)

TRENDING THREADS