How many employed design engineers read /post

SteveR750

Given this forum is the "What car" of hi fi threads, I'm curious if any "real" engineers, those that are actually employed or qualified as acoustic engineers ever post in these forums? Retailers don't count, no matter how clever tou think you are, and nor do manic hobbyists (I tried that many many years ago at a job interview at Wharfedale). Real (non flat earth) experts, please stand up.

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I am an acoustical engineer who occassionally reads this forum to see some of the extraordinary things audiophiles believe about audio hardware, sound and sound perception. I have not recognised anyone with a similar background apart from a chap from KEF. The few times I have introduced the odd fact on the subject it has, not unexpectedly, fallen on rather stoney ground.

SteveR750

HG I suspect you're right, but it's a shame you don't post more often, just a bit of proper science reference amongst the white noise of poorly researched opinion would be welcome. Where did you study it? Many years ago now I wanted to go to Southampton Uni to study physics with acoustics, and I think also that Salford was runing a similar course. Sadly my maths wasn't up to A level standard so never got in! I did go to Wharfedale and also to Arcam for job interviews also many many years ago, but they wanted electrical engineers, not materials scientists.

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
HG I suspect you're right, but it's a shame you don't post more often, just a bit of proper science reference amongst the white noise of poorly researched opinion would be welcome.

Not sure I would agree about the welcome. The community here have a set of beliefs about hi-fi much of which is based on a faith that I do not share. I have no interest in changing that faith although I am curious at times about what supports it.

SteveR750 said:
Where did you study it?

ISVR in Southampton and ITA in Berlin.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I really do hope more acoustic engineers post more often. Cause it seems its the same old same people with jaded views as suppose to real science. Just when you think you know it all about HIFI it throws something new at you.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Although I fall in the manic hobbyists category, I wish more engineers posted here. Also those that we already have posting (hg, andyjm, trevc etc.) should post more interesting constructive things we could learn from, and not just spew bitterness in cable threads.

Engineers, musicians, psychologists, ethnologist, instrument builders etc. All those seem absent in contributing about music reproduction, music creation, music history and perception of music and acoustics.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
F@¥$*F!.....TrevC is not an engineer!

And titles mean very little in the real world ref understanding the why, what or if's.

Vladimir said:
Although I fall in the manic hobbyists category, I wish more engineers posted here. Also those that we already have posting (hg, andyjm, trevc etc.) should post more interesting constructive things we could learn from, and not just spew bitterness in cable threads.?

Engineers, musicians, psychologists, ethnologist, instrument builders etc. All those seem absent in contributing about music reproduction, music creation, music history and perception of music and acoustics. 

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

And titles mean very little in the real world ref understanding the why, what or if's.

Wow, easy there. I recall him saying he was one? I could be wrong. What's the big deal?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to put a lol on the end.

Its no big deal but I cannot help feel that 'engineers' have little or no place on a forum like this.

Few seem to have a reasonable grasp of the principles of electrical transfer and fewer can rationally explain them.

And even fewer appreciate the subjectivety - personal ability to hear for example - that surrounds this hobby.

One man's like is another man's hate etc......

Being an 'engineer' is not an advantage here.

Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:

Wow, easy there. I recall him saying he was one? I could be wrong. What's the big deal?

TrevC

Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:

I was one, for my sins. Not that it means anything to all the foo fantasy merchants on here. *scratch_one-s_head*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
All of you 'industry insiders' please try to ignore the superstitious mob with their flaming torches and post here more often. There are more us who are genuinely curious than there are 'technology deniers'.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
I don't want any more science.

I don't want any more religion.

CnoEvil said:
...or even a little breathing space between lectures.

...or even a little breathing space between sermons.

Or whatever.
eusa_dance.gif

bananajumprope.gif
dancingbanana_2.gif
icon_drummer.gif
bananapiano.gif
bananajam.gif
bananajam.gif
bananasplit.gif

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I have never asked you for permission to do anything!

I know I owe you nothing and I don't require you blessing for anything.

So decide what you want to do - read me or ignore me makes no difference to me!

Just stop following me around man.

BenLaw said:
Thompsonuxb said:
I forgot to put a lol on the end.

?

So when you act like a tw*t, as long as you put a lol on the end that makes it ok? Lol.

TrevC

Thompsonuxb said:
The 'new religious' put down referring to anyone with an open mind to the 'snake oil' tweaks is such a cop out.

I have an HNC in electronics engineering, even got a distinction in principles and maths.

Fortune favoured me and I got a position in telecoms. Network management - starting with PDH into SDH onto VOiP.

Went on verious courses which explained why cables make a difference - from copper to fibre.

Repeaters, multiplexes from 64k upto 2.4mbit over networks working with kit that measure 10 to the 3 errors and beyond etc.

Exactly the same principles used in hifi

Never stopped me from trying snake oil remedies to achieve more fidelity on my set.

And certainly never stopped me hearing differences some of these remedies make.

Maybe a little growing down as opposed to growing up is what's really required to enjoy this pastime.

And probably some ear syringing wouldn't hurt a few of you too.

:-D

To be honest, that makes it worse. You should know what could make a difference and what could not, but still you carry on posting idiotic twaddle.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
That's my point TrevC.

I know what makes a difference. I have seen tiny - 10 to the 7 errors make the transfer of audio and data impossible. Over long distances and very short distances.

The fidelity of modern equ makes audible fluctuations....er.... audible.

Problem is your inability to hear it does not make it so. You understand?

Say 'I' don't or can't hear a difference - what you don't do is pretend it's cast in stone or fact.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts