How many employed design engineers read /post

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The 'new religious' put down referring to anyone with an open mind to the 'snake oil' tweaks is such a cop out.

I have an HNC in electronics engineering, even got a distinction in principles and maths.

Fortune favoured me and I got a position in telecoms. Network management - starting with PDH into SDH onto VOiP.

Went on verious courses which explained why cables make a difference - from copper to fibre.

Repeaters, multiplexes from 64k upto 2.4Gbit over networks working with kit that measure 10 to the 3 errors and beyond etc.

Exactly the same principles used in hifi

Never stopped me from trying snake oil remedies to achieve more fidelity on my set.

And certainly never stopped me hearing differences some of these remedies make.

Maybe a little growing down as opposed to growing up is what's really required to enjoy this pastime.

And probably some ear syringing wouldn't hurt a few of you too.

:-D

Edit 2.4Gbits not mbits.... :)

TrevC

Thompsonuxb said:
That's my point TrevC.

I know what makes a difference. I have seen tiny - 10 to the 7 errors make the transfer of audio and data impossible. Over long distances and very short distances.

The fidelity of modern equ makes audible fluctuations....er.... audible.

Problem is your inability to hear it does not make it so. You understand?

Say 'I' don't or can't hear a difference - what you don't do is pretend it's cast in stone or fact.

My ears are irrelevant. I don't ever waste my time listening for differences in things that can't possibly make any difference.

Do tell, using your vast engineering knowledge, how can a short length of normal screened cable used at line level affect an audio signal enough to be audible, and how can replacing a perfectly adequately rated mains lead affect the performance of, say, an amplifier?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
I have never asked you for permission to do anything!

I know I owe you nothing and I don't require you blessing for anything.

So decide what you want to do - read me or ignore me makes no difference to me!

Just stop following me around man.

When the cotton bud meets resistance, stop pushing.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
I cannot help feel that 'engineers' have little or no place on a forum like this.

Sadly I think there is an element of truth in that statement. The last time I posted a comment, pointing out the ambiguity/inaccuracy in a statement within another members post, I was labelled a pedant by the Major.

I can experience enough stress during the working week, without adding to it by starting online arguments on a forum, so I restrict most of my posting to the film club, and the fantasy football league.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
...I have an HNC in electronics engineering, even got a distinction in principles and maths.

Fortune favoured me and I got a position in telecoms. Network management - starting with PDH into SDH onto VOiP...

...and yet your posts in THIS THREAD shows that you have a complete lack of understanding when it comes to how data is stored and transmitted.

Thompsonuxb said:
The answer is cdplayers are better than streamers.

CD is a CD the info on it is fixed - the data

You streamer reformats data to fit everything neatly onto its memory. At a cost to the original.

Think Tron or the architect from the Matrix.

Thompsonuxb said:
Each time you add to your hard drive it reformats itself and the data stored. It basically reorganises itself to be has efficient as it can.

Any out of place data, surplus to requirements or left over during the reorg gets discarded this data by the way is your music.

It is Incey wincey bits we are talking about and can go unnoticed but one day you'll put the original CD on and it'll sound better.

The data on the CD is fixed. it'll never be reformatted, squished to fit on your hard drive or be subject to other issues found with ref to data storage.......

Now like I said before I have nothing in way of evidence to prove this - it's how these devices/computers work.

It's a bit like the billions of pounds floating around in cyber space made up of tiny fractions of a penny...... Lol..... Sorry for laughing but , just watch superman3.

The music gets lost.

Thompsonuxb said:
Not related. I'm not talking about the reading or transfer being the reason to any degradation in sound but the actual data being read.

You know when you turn on your device and it formats itself sorts it's files out before you play anything or you add new data, is the area I'm talking about.

Thompsonuxb said:
Lol.... At least you guys are thinking about it.

I tell you, it baffles me how some turn their nose up at some 'sales pitches' but embrace it in other forms.

I have no problem with your diagram Steve - ref your diagram each bit of the data is read then logged bit for bit.

But you don't account for corrections.(and I hope you understand what I mean by the term corrections)

Using your diagram looking at our data call it an 'l' for example - it's read in the same way but is a smigin to big for the area it's been stored - just a smidgen, your software instead saves 'i' - see the little gap - without that bit of the original data your file saves perfectly - it plays/reads back no problem.

More data is added to your memory more data is compromised to fit - we are still talking tiny tiny likkle bits of data.

But eventually that data even with software with built in fillers becomes unreadable or becomes noisy.

How many files saved to your hard drives have become corrupt unusable - a game, text what ever.

One of the reasons you are advised to back-up your files. And encouraged to buy the CD.

When you eventually send your computer/harddrive or whatever away to get 'cleaned' what do you think they're cleaning.

Some will refer to those bits of data that mess these devices up as 'ghosts in the machines'. You've heard the term - manga / I robot....lol

Like I said I'm not selling you any thing. But the next time you have a problem with your data, think about it.

Make of this what you will - feel free to dismiss it and move on.

;-)

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Wow.... This is the sort if thing I mean.

If you don't listen for differences, how you gonna argue with people that do?

And again if you saw how much difference the diameter of the 'stinger' in your cable made to your internet speed, audio visual entertainment......
honestly.

Thats why these days I'll end with try it for yourself.

TrevC said:
Thompsonuxb said:
That's my point TrevC.

I know what makes a difference. I have seen tiny - 10 to the 7 errors make the transfer of audio and data impossible. Over long distances and very short distances.

The fidelity of modern equ makes audible fluctuations....er.... audible.

Problem is your inability to hear it does not make it so. You understand?

Say 'I' don't or can't hear a difference - what you don't do is pretend it's cast in stone or fact.

My ears are irrelevant. I don't ever waste my time listening for differences in things that can't possibly make any difference.

Do tell, using your vast engineering knowledge, how can a short length of normal screened cable used at line level affect an audio signal enough to be audible, and how can replacing a perfectly adequately rated mains lead affect the performance of, say, an amplifier?

TrevC

Thompsonuxb said:

And again if you saw how much difference the diameter of the 'stinger' in your cable made to your internet speed, audio visual entertainment...... honestly.

Have you tried sticking your fingers in a light bulb socket? How do you know it will hurt unless you try it for yourself? Ever tried swimming in acid? You won't know it will burn unless you try it.

You are no engineer. If you were you would know what I know.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
When the cotton bud meets resistance, stop pushing.

That joke originally done with the brand name Q-tip
regular_smile.gif

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean?

I actually make no claim to being an engineer. I got a qualification as an ends to a means.

What I know about the transfer of an electrical signal carrying information has nothing to do with my enjoyment of my hifi or listening to music or the changes
bits can make .

Half the time do you know what you are arguing about?......lol.

TrevC said:
Thompsonuxb said:

And again if you saw how much difference the diameter of the 'stinger' in your cable made to your internet speed, audio visual entertainment...... honestly.

?

Have you tried sticking your fingers in a light bulb socket? How do you know it will hurt unless you try it for yourself? Ever tried swimming in acid? You won't know it will burn unless you try it.?

You are no engineer. If you were you would know what I know.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Easy to spot in this instance - Well Ben Law - I think you have presented a good example of why people give up posting on here. We could all benefit from the likes of Hg etc posting. Other people such as UXB deserve their say too. No need for ignorant comments . (eg tw*t )for goodness sake- please grow up.

tonky

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
tonky said:
Easy to spot in this instance - Well Ben Law - I think you have presented a good example of why people give up posting on here. We could all benefit from the likes of Hg etc posting. Other people such as UXB deserve their say too. No need for ignorant comments . (eg tw*t )for goodness sake- please grow up.

tonky

I'm hardly indiscriminate, so I wholly disagree with what you say about my comments. As for Thomson, I would be delighted if he stopped posting, as (quite clearly) would many others. I don't lightly make the accusation that someone is a troll, but where they are it would be better if they left.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
...As for Thomson, I would be delighted if he stopped posting, as (quite clearly) would many others. I don't lightly make the accusation that someone is a troll, but where they are it would be better if they left.

I for one hope he stays. He seems like a really nice and friendly chap even though some of the things he says regarding hifi tech and engineering are totally inaccurate.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
MercifullmotherofMoses.....

Print the whole thread in here why don't you.

In fact do better, go through every post I have ever posted on this site and post them for analysis.

Is this what it's like to have crazy stalker groupies?

Lol....no seriously Lol!

steve_1979 said:
Thompsonuxb said:
...I have an HNC in electronics engineering, even got a distinction in principles and maths.

Fortune favoured me and I got a position in telecoms. Network management - starting with PDH into SDH onto VOiP...

...and yet your posts in THIS THREAD shows that you have a complete lack of understanding when it comes to how data is stored and transmitted.

?

?

Thompsonuxb said:
The answer is cdplayers are better than streamers.

CD is a CD the info on it is fixed - the data

You streamer reformats data to fit everything neatly onto its memory. At a cost to the original.

Think Tron or the architect from the Matrix.

?

Thompsonuxb said:
Each time you add to your hard drive it reformats itself and the data stored. It basically reorganises itself to be has efficient as it can.

Any out of place data, surplus to requirements or left over during the reorg gets discarded this data by the way is your music.

It is Incey wincey bits we are talking about and can go unnoticed but one day you'll put the original CD on and it'll sound better.

The data on the CD is fixed. it'll never be reformatted, squished to fit on your hard drive or be subject to other issues found with ref to data storage.......

Now like I said before I have nothing in way of evidence to prove this - it's how these devices/computers work.

It's a bit like the billions of pounds floating around in cyber space made up of tiny fractions of a penny...... Lol..... Sorry for laughing but , just watch superman3.

The music gets lost.

?

Thompsonuxb said:
Not related. I'm not talking about the reading or transfer being the reason to any degradation in sound but the actual data being read.

You know when you turn on your device and it formats itself sorts it's files out before you play anything or you add new data, is the area I'm talking about.

?

Thompsonuxb said:
Lol.... At least you guys are thinking about it.

I tell you, it baffles me how some turn their nose up at some 'sales pitches' but embrace it in other forms.

I have no problem with your diagram Steve - ref your diagram each bit of the data is read then logged bit for bit.

But you don't account for corrections.(and I hope you understand what I mean by the term corrections)

Using your diagram looking at our data call it an 'l' for example - it's read in the same way but is a smigin to big for the area it's been stored - just a smidgen, your software instead saves 'i' - see the little gap - without that bit of the original data your file saves perfectly - it plays/reads back no problem.

More data is added to your memory more data is compromised to fit - we are still talking tiny tiny likkle bits of data.

But eventually that data even with software with built in fillers becomes unreadable or becomes noisy.

How many files saved to your hard drives have become corrupt unusable - a game, text what ever.

One of the reasons you are advised to back-up your files. And encouraged to buy the CD.

When you eventually send your computer/harddrive or whatever away to get 'cleaned' what do you think they're cleaning.

Some will refer to those bits of data that mess these devices up as 'ghosts in the machines'. You've heard the term - manga / I robot....lol

Like I said I'm not selling you any thing. But the next time you have a problem with your data, think about it.

Make of this what you will - feel free to dismiss it and move on.

;-)

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
You made 3 consecutive posts picking on his (not unreasonable) comments Why?

You state that you are irritated by him!!! For goodness sake this is just an internet forum full of people we don't personally know (in most instances) . Why behave in such an immature manner. I don't always agree with what some people spout forth on - but everyone deserves an opinion. It's just a form of internet bullying and it shouldn't be coming from supposedly mature,intelligent posters. (And you can't really justify calling him a tw*t can you? ) - Dear me!!

tonky

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Tonky thanks but do has I do ignore him.

He's making me famous, people will checkout anything I post just to see what the fuss is about.

Why they did not do this in my 'in the mind' thread I do not know.

Instead these guys derail this thread to 'get me'...... crazy.

tonky said:
You made 3 consecutive posts picking on his (not unreasonable) comments Why? ?

You state that you are irritated by him!!! For goodness sake this is just an internet forum full of people we don't personally know (in most instances) . Why behave in such an immature manner. I don't always agree with what some people spout forth on - but everyone deserves an opinion. It's just a form of internet bullying and it shouldn't be coming from supposedly mature,intelligent posters. (And you can't really justify calling him a tw*t can you? ) - Dear me!!

tonky

SteveR750

chebby said:
All of you 'industry insiders' please try to ignore the superstitious mob with their flaming torches and post here more often.  There are more us who are genuinely curious than there are 'technology deniers'.

Well, we can live in an ever diminishing hope. Just like real life the technical folk have no ability to properly communicate the truth without the aid of commercially biased spokespersons. I wasn't quite expecting so many pages of utter BS though... Stupid me.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site

Acoustics engineers or electronics engineers - or both? Very different fields obviously. It would surprise me if either group were the slightest bit interested however I should imagine the marketing men do have a keen interest.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Ex audio engineer here, now retired - does that count?

I can't imagine any engineer in current employment would have the time to waste posting on this forum discussing the merits of speaker cables and mains conditioners.

I come here to keep my mind active, defend the gates against the technical barbarians, and for a little sport.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
andyjm said:
Ex audio engineer here, now retired - does that count?

I can't imagine any engineer in current employment would have the time to waste posting on this forum discussing the merits of speaker cables and mains conditioners.

I come here to keep my mind active, defend the gates against the technical barbarians, and for a little sport.

Nop. You don't qualify.

It clearly says 'employed'.

Now look for something more appropriate ... like an allotment. Very soothing I believe.

Off you shuffle ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts