How many employed design engineers read /post

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Is being "employed" as an engineer really significant? After getting my electronics degree I nearly took a job with Plessey designing heads-up displays for fighter aircraft but then a bank came along and offered me an obscene amount of money to play with their computers so I did that instead. None of the physics / electronics I learnt as a student was changed by that decision and as my brain still works I can still apply that knowledge. So when someone posts stuff on this CB which is simply contradictory to fundamental scientific principles I can still see through it. Being "emplyed" in the field is irrelevant.

Chris

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
As regards this thread really surprised by the responses. Companies, individuals, recording & the film industry use science & technology to improve performance of all things sound & vision yet it sounds as if its irrelevant?.. Seems boys with toys are living in fantasyland.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I presumed so, but am curious as to what a state of fux is.

I suspect it's worse than being in a state of flux....I was in a complete state of fux on Friday (it always seems to be a Friday), when my day got all fuxed up!

SteveR750

Covenanter said:
Is being "employed" as an engineer really significant? After getting my electronics degree I nearly took a job with Plessey designing heads-up displays for fighter aircraft but then a bank came along and offered me an obscene amount of money to play with their computers so I did that instead. None of the physics / electronics I learnt as a student was changed by that decision and as my brain still works I can still apply that knowledge. So when someone posts stuff on this CB which is simply contradictory to fundamental scientific principles I can still see through it. Being "emplyed" in the field is irrelevant.

Chris

Not if your day job involves actually scientifically testing this stuff, rather than googling a bit iof info and declaring it de facto (not implying you do by the way). If you design loudspeakers for a living, I'm pretty sure that an analysis of the electrical conductors is something that you would have undertaken.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
All of you 'industry insiders' please try to ignore the superstitious mob with their flaming torches and post here more often. There are more us who are genuinely curious than there are 'technology deniers'.

What the chebbmeister said. Although if you were a serious scientist why would you want to 'debate' with believers? You'd be as well debating with monkeys.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Audio / acoustic engineers. Other disciplines of engineering don't count - after all why would anyone who designs roads and bridges know anything about cables?

I think that there are a few aerospace engineers on the forum who would dispute your assertion - especially if they work in the avionics sector. They have to be aware of the full signal chain, eg sensor, transducer, cabling, signal processing, more cabling, display. Thinking of each element separately, and not as a whole system, leads to mismatches, and poor performance. Exactly the sort of problem you see when someone builds their hifi system from individual pieces of kit, that are each award winners, but don't work well as a complete system.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

Not if your day job involves actually scientifically testing this stuff, rather than googling a bit iof info and declaring it de facto (not implying you do by the way). If you design loudspeakers for a living, I'm pretty sure that an analysis of the electrical conductors is something that you would have undertaken.

Obviously somebody who works on it day to day will have more familiarity with the issues but some things that get posted on here are simply impossible in terms of basic science.

Chris

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
We need more of this stuff, and this, even if it's less than half finished...

would be nice, but I think sir troll UXB single handedly proved why very few people with the technical nouse would bother to post. Like i said the other day, I could make a cable company that uses the exact same cables, except for colour, write a load of BS about how the green one is bass heavy, and the red one is good for mids, and people would believe it. I could then come out publicly, say it was all twaddle, show pictures of how it's all made and that they are indeed all the same, but there would be people who would not believe me. There's nothing you can do when faced with that. Nothing at all.

SteveR750

cheeseboy said:
SteveR750 said:

would be nice, but I think sir troll UXB single handedly proved why very few people with the technical nouse would bother to post. Like i said the other day, I could make a cable company that uses the exact same cables, except for colour, write a load of BS about how the green one is bass heavy, and the red one is good for mids, and people would believe it. I could then come out publicly, say it was all twaddle, show pictures of how it's all made and that they are indeed all the same, but there would be people who would not believe me. There's nothing you can do when faced with that. Nothing at all.

I think there are enough open minded folk to benefit from proper data. If some are still in denial despite such evidence, that's their perogative, let them be sold to. It's certainly not a reason not to do anything.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
SteveR750 said:

I'd like to see someone taking a set and testing them until they die (the phones not the tester!) just to see if the results ever stabilise or continue to change throughout the life of the phones/speakers/etc.

It would be interesting if the guy put the ambient temperature alongside the graph to see if that, if it fluctuates, affects the drivers.

A look at amp 'sound'.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/the-sound-of-an-amplifier

SteveR750

Jota180 said:
SteveR750 said:

I'd like to see someone taking a set and testing them until they die (the phones not the tester!) just to see if the results ever stabilise or continue to change throughout the life of the phones/speakers/etc.

It would be interesting if the guy put the ambient temperature alongside the graph to see if that, if it fluctuates, affects the drivers.

A look at amp 'sound'.

Absolutely! It's nowhere near a complete test, but it's a start. Thanks for the link too, interesting. The one thing the Hegel amp is suposed to be good at it low harmonic and non harmonic distortion, and it really does sound different from the Caspian that it replaced, and that definitley is not a placebo, I can hear spoken words on certain tracks that I have not heard to been able to distinguish. It's logical really; a distortion free digital to analogue conversion, a distortion free electrical gain, and then distortion free electrical signal to sound pressure wave would all sound the same (in the same room). So, you could argue that all amps do sound the same, and if they were designed well enough, they should. The differences we can hear are shortcomings of the design.

Again, it comes down to the preference for listeining to something as close to the original source, warts and all; or whether a tailored sound is preferable, given it's a leisure experience, not a critical task that we are asking our systems to perform. There is no right or wrong, it's simply down to personal preference. For amny years I have believed that B&O gear is not really "hi-fi", and to many it's not, but that does not mean it cannot (and should not) be enjoyed for what it is. The crime is to waste your money on buying something that you think / told should be "right" but you don't enjoy!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
There you go referring to me again......

Thing is cheeseboy if your so confident then why don't you do just that.

Go make yourself a fortune......

All cable suppliers are conmen, it all sounds the same, so go ahead make your cable company and get rich.

cheeseboy said:
SteveR750 said:

?

would be nice, but I think sir troll UXB single handedly proved why very few people with the technical nouse would bother to post.  Like i said the other day, I could make a cable company that uses the exact same cables, except for colour, write a load of BS about how the green one is bass heavy, and the red one is good for mids, and people would believe it.  I could then come out publicly, say it was all twaddle, show pictures of how it's all made and that they are indeed all the same, but there would be people who would not believe me.  There's nothing you can do when faced with that.  Nothing at all.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The theme running through the forum att....

You get a different presentation from 2 'well' built and designed amps....That's surprising.

Question is SteveR740 are you deluded, a religious fanatic a fool or do those saying it all sound the same wrong?

With reference your particular findings?

SteveR750 said:
Jota180 said:
SteveR750 said:

A look at amp 'sound'.

Absolutely! It's nowhere near a complete test, but it's a start. Thanks for the link too, interesting. The one thing the Hegel amp is suposed to be good at it low harmonic and non harmonic distortion, and it really does sound different from the Caspian that it replaced, and that definitley is not a placebo, I can hear spoken words on certain tracks that I have not heard to been able to distinguish. It's logical really; a distortion free digital to analogue conversion, a distortion free electrical gain, and then distortion free electrical signal to sound pressure wave would all sound the same (in the same room). So, you could argue that all amps do sound the same, and if they were designed well enough, they should. The differences we can hear are shortcomings of the design.?

Again, it comes down to the preference for listeining to something as close to the original source, warts and all; or whether a tailored sound is preferable, given it's a leisure experience, not a critical task that we are asking our systems to perform. There is no right or wrong, it's simply down to personal preference. For amny years I have believed that B&O gear is not really "hi-fi", and to many it's not, but that does not mean it cannot (and should not) be enjoyed for what it is. The crime is to waste your money on buying something that you think / told should be "right" but you don't enjoy!

SteveR750

Thompsonuxb said:
The theme running through the forum att....

You get a different presentation from 2 'well' built and designed amps....That's surprising.

Question is SteveR740 are you deluded, a religious fanatic a fool or do those saying it all sound the same wrong?

With reference your particular findings?

SteveR750 said:
Jota180 said:
SteveR750 said:

A look at amp 'sound'.

Absolutely! It's nowhere near a complete test, but it's a start. Thanks for the link too, interesting. The one thing the Hegel amp is suposed to be good at it low harmonic and non harmonic distortion, and it really does sound different from the Caspian that it replaced, and that definitley is not a placebo, I can hear spoken words on certain tracks that I have not heard to been able to distinguish. It's logical really; a distortion free digital to analogue conversion, a distortion free electrical gain, and then distortion free electrical signal to sound pressure wave would all sound the same (in the same room). So, you could argue that all amps do sound the same, and if they were designed well enough, they should. The differences we can hear are shortcomings of the design.

If I understood your question, I'd be able to answer it, but if I have got the gist of it, well, just because it's not right, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Meantime, read this, and make your own Fletcher Munson curve. You could then match yours to others and hey presto, be able to trust someone elses ears for you. (I'm not being serious by the way, just in case... :) )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts