How Many Editors Do you Need to Produce a Magazine?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Works fine for me here in Safari 3.2.2 on Vista, what I have just downloaded to check.

Edit: and in Safari 4 Beta, also on Vista.

I have both of those running on XP, they don't work. Nor on OSX with Safari (any version). It has always worked on Firefox under OSX though.

It's not like trying to start a car though. Given the platform you're dealing with I'll allow you even more time before I start complaining...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Very odd. Seems the toolbar is there, but its functions now don't work in Safari. New one on me - over to you, JD.

OK. Are you new to this or taking the biscuit? It's a fatal flaw my friends...

(amongst us piddlers who prefer less cosmopoloitan browsers).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:OK. Are you new to this or taking the biscuit? It's a fatal flaw my friends...
(amongst us piddlers who prefer less cosmopoloitan browsers).

The clue was in my use of the word 'now', as in 'was working, but now isn't'

Your relentless goading has borne fruit at last, Octopo. See you in a week.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Erratic toolbar functionality in certain versions of Safari (I'm running 2.04 on my Mac laptop) has been with us for a while. It's one of those annoying bugs we need to get fixed but at the moment our priority is optimising the site to ensure it runs more effectively on our servers. As Andrew/John both know, there's a lengthy list of other fixes in the pipeline.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
this links to a question I've pondered for a while (the editor count) and, having read the thread from beginning to end, it doesn't address my own query fully...

How many actual editor do you have; and

Does anyone write for the mag who ain't an editor??

emotion-2.gif

idc

Eddie Pound:Who is the highest-ranked "editor"?

The highest ranked is not one of the editors at all; some say he can never be communicated with at all, ever and that he only reads the OED, but we only know him as the Moderator........................................................

3257649845_498bc9d222_o.jpg

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Big Aura:
this links to a question I've pondered for a while (the editor count) and, having read the thread from beginning to end, it doesn't address my own query fully...

How many actual editor do you have; and

Does anyone write for the mag who ain't an editor??

emotion-2.gif

To put it in its most simple terms, anyone with the word 'editor' in their title is responsible for managing content as well as producing it.

Plus, we all contribute to the magazine(s) and website, regardless of our job titles.

idc

I was a Features Editor here a few moons ago. We had loads of editors and a layout manager whose job was to oversee the layout of the paper when we gathered once every two weeks to put it together. Then the editor would take it to the printers the next day. On one occasion we ran out petrol on the way there, so no issue that week. We also used to drink a lot. Have things changed much in the world of editors since then?

John Duncan

idc:I was a Features Editor here a few moons ago. We had loads of editors and a layout manager whose job was to oversee the layout of the paper when we gathered once every two weeks to put it together. Then the editor would take it to the printers the next day. On one occasion we ran out petrol on the way there, so no issue that week. We also used to drink a lot. Have things changed much in the world of editors since then?

As a casual observer, I'm saying nothing.

idc

JD, a group of us editors once went to Dundee in the spirit of reapprochment, as at that time we banned from everywhere for being Thatcher loving neo-facists (allegedly). We went to the student union and got in the drinks, but where we sat it looked very much like blood on the ceiling, so we ran away. None of was apparently the right material to be like those brave foreign correspondants.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
JohnDuncan:idc:I was a Features Editor here a few moons ago. We had loads of editors and a layout manager whose job was to oversee the layout of the paper when we gathered once every two weeks to put it together. Then the editor would take it to the printers the next day. On one occasion we ran out petrol on the way there, so no issue that week. We also used to drink a lot. Have things changed much in the world of editors since then?

As a casual observer, I'm saying nothing.

Wise decison, JD, wise decision!

TRENDING THREADS