How long has cd got left

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Forgive me for being over simplistic, but didn't they say the same in the 80s about vinyl? Once the CD player established itself "I wonder how long vinyl has left...."

As CD is a simple, no-nonsence format, I don't think it'll ever die out. Of course figures will vary as time and other formats improve... it will always command an audience.

Just my opinion.

Couldn't agree more PP!

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

davidf said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
the only thing is vinyl is a fad and declining now and it came back after it had already died out, in the mass market mainly for nostalgia. And it's people buying budget decks and vinyl on existing systems which had kept the vinyl format going of recent.
Whose figures are we using for that generalisation?

Vinyl is a fad? Do you know how old records are? It's the oldest format around that is still in production - at this rate, it's going to outlive the iPod!

+1

What's an iPod? ;-)

Macspur said:
plastic penguin said:
Forgive me for being over simplistic, but didn't they say the same in the 80s about vinyl? Once the CD player established itself "I wonder how long vinyl has left...."

As CD is a simple, no-nonsence format, I don't think it'll ever die out. Of course figures will vary as time and other formats improve... it will always command an audience.

Just my opinion.

Couldn't agree more PP!

Mac

Quite so.

It's still the cheapest way to obtain music of a 'decent' quality that you actually own and can control what you do with it, and I don't see that going away anytime soon.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

But the evidence doesn't support saying you can't see it going away soon or other similar comments. You have to look at the hard cold reality of the economics and the trends. Nobody will make a product if it costs more to make than sales, and can't break even. So we cannot just rely on a concept of an argument of what we would like.

with vinyl it's very much on the decline again by the American industry graph I posted in this thread, so we can't just say vinyl is going to be ok, even if we want it too.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
Macspur said:
plastic penguin said:

Just my opinion.

Couldn't agree more PP!

Mac

Quite so.

It's still the cheapest way to obtain music of a 'decent' quality that you actually own and can control what you do with it, and I don't see that going away anytime soon.

I also agree Cd is the best we will ever have as a physical music source, it is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

It is going somewhere soon Electro, according to trends. And that's to its grave.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
It is going somewhere soon Electro, according to trends. And that's to its grave.

I agree that new Cd sales will fall much further quite quickly but they will continue at a lower level for many years to come .

Perhaps they will dissapear when all the people in their 50's have died out, so maybe 40 to 50 years or so.

In theory music on a Cd ( or pictures on a dvd ) could last for up to 1000 years if kept in good cool dry pollution free conditions.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Was not talking about when they would die out, but as per comments in the thread and original question, when cd will stop being made. And that's going to be 5 years most I think.

Was not talking about when they would die out, but as per comments in the thread and original question, when cd will stop being made. And that's going to be 5 years most I think.

They are wonderful things those crystal-balls. ;-) and the wonderful thing about trends are they are just that, historic, they have been known to reverse course.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I'm sure if you went into dragons den and said I've set a business up called cd, it's done remarkably well, but it's been declining to the extent it may be non existent because it keeps declining and on this rate it will go soon, They would all say 'I'm out'.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure if you went into dragons den and said I've set a business up called cd, it's done remarkably well, but it's been declining to the extent it may be non existent because it keeps declining and on this rate it will go soon, They would all say 'I'm out'. 

Possibly because it's already been invented and established on the market

D

Deleted member 108165

Electro said:
Oldphrt said:
CD is still the best physical medium and has near perfect sound. It isn't ready to die yet.

Wow ! I agree with Oldphart. *shok*

I often find myself in agreement with him. I like his concise posts.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
davidf said:
Oldphrt said:
CD is still the best physical medium and has near perfect sound. It isn't ready to die yet.
When and if used properly. It's a shame we rarely hear what CD is really capable of. Maybe we've never heard that. Then again, maybe there's something better to come.

As a matter of interest, as someone in the business, what's the best CDP you've ever heard?

Mac

Macspur said:
As a matter of interest, as someone in the business, what's the best CDP you've ever heard?

Mac

I can only recommend them in the context of the system they were in, and against anything else I heard around the same time.

The Chord Red Reference and the Wadia 381i are stand out players from the last 5 years, whereas older players like the Wadia 861, Naim CDS, Marantz CD94, Marantz CD14, and the two box Meridian 602/606 spring to mind.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
davidf said:
Macspur said:

Mac

I can only recommend them in the context of the system they were in, and against anything else I heard around the same time.

The Chord Red Reference and the Wadia 381i are stand out players from the last 5 years, whereas older players like the Wadia 861, Naim CDS, Marantz CD94, Marantz CD14, and the two box Meridian 602/606 spring to mind.

Yes of course, I tried the Wadia 381 before buying the EMC1UP and no doubt a fabulous machine, it didn't suit my set up at the time.

Thanks for the reply, you just peaked my interest when you said we've probably never heard the best of CD.

Mac

"Does anyone have a link to an upto date chart showing vinyl sales including 2017."

"I can only find old ones from a couple of years ago."

I found this article from the 3rd Jan 2017.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jan/03/record-sales-vinyl-hits-25-year-high-and-outstrips-streaming

Here's one for '13th'. If CDs are in such decline why are there so many still production? and many are hi-end machines.

https://www.whathifi.com/products/hi-fi/cd-players

Okay so it isn't definitive but surely companies wouldn't still pump shed-loads of money into research and development. I'm sure some of the 240 listed are now defunct, nevertheless....

And this is from one magazine. Think of the models NOT reviewed by WHFI.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts