How long has cd got left

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
plastic penguin said:
Here's one for '13th'. If CDs are in such decline why are there so many still production? and many are hi-end machines.

https://www.whathifi.com/products/hi-fi/cd-players

Okay so it isn't definitive but surely companies wouldn't still pump shed-loads of money into research and development. I'm sure some of the 240 listed are now defunct, nevertheless....

And this is from one magazine. Think of the models NOT reviewed by WHFI.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

plastic penguin said:
Here's one for '13th'. If CDs are in such decline why are there so many still production? and many are hi-end machines.

https://www.whathifi.com/products/hi-fi/cd-players

Okay so it isn't definitive but surely companies wouldn't still pump shed-loads of money into research and development. I'm sure some of the 240 listed are now defunct, nevertheless....

And this is from one magazine. Think of the models NOT reviewed by WHFI.

its not if they are in decline. They are in decline.

Production and sales are different. If it gets to the stage that CDs aren't selling beyond costs of production or margins become low, production will stop, then so too will new players for mass market, forcing up costs of any players that are built for the audiophile as components become higher priced in the production chain.

Companies wont pump money into r and d for CD players if they won't recoup the money on the investment through CD player sales. I know a few firms in the audiophile sphere aren't bothering with new CD player designs ATM. You'd be mad to invest say £300k on a new player design, for the 1-2 years of development, if the firm thinks it won't start reaping the rewards and break even and with cd disc sales going in let's say 3 years for argument sake. On the other hand if the CD player model sells fast and the brand is well reputed, why not. But it doesn't get around the fact the production of CDs are quite a seperate business to the CD player manufacturers.

Manufacturers of CD players are simply competing for and exploiting the demand for CD players with cd sales. Maybe new buyers or upgrade buyers. They will carry on doing so as they can in a free market.

Some heavy hitting CD players have arrived recently, including the monster Marantz SA-10 and the Hegel Mohican. However, some have dropped them completely of course, and not just Linn.

However, that's nothing to do with the hypothesis - that was actually a statement - that CDs as software are in decline. They are, but I believe they will still be produced long after streaming dominates consumption, not least because the unit price of manufacture is so low.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
But the evidence doesn't support saying you can't see it going away soon or other similar comments. You have to look at the hard cold reality of the economics and the trends. Nobody will make a product if it costs more to make than sales, and can't break even. So we cannot just rely on a concept of an argument of what we would like.

with vinyl it's very much on the decline again by the American industry graph I posted in this thread, so we can't just say vinyl is going to be ok, even if we want it too.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/music/melbourne-vinyl-pressing-plant/

manicm

davidf said:
When FM radio dies, modern, digital DAB radio will become the norm. The problem is, the day FM radio dies is a loooong way off, because there would need to be so few people using FM in order for them to switch it off.

Digital downloads is DAB radio.

I don't see CD production ceasing. Like vinyl, it will continue, but may well be on a smaller scale due to the size of the used market it is competing against.

I myself buy more CDs now than I ever did during the 90s, many are used if I can pick them up for a quid or two, but when used CD prices are high, or approaching the new price for a specific release, I'll buy new.

True, some recordings are increasingly going out of print.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts