How high does your hearing go?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
ID. said:
you do know that's the sampling rate rather than how high a frequency is reproduced

Sampling rate is related to high frequency extension

Yes, but when trying to sell you high resolution products that's note the aspect they push when they show the lumpy squared off wave that 44.1 kHz gives you while the higher rates give you a much smoother and more analogue wave (but didn't some manufacturers get pulled up on that and had to stop using those kinds of images in high resolution audtio advertising?).

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just did the test again. I can hear to over 15khz today.

Last time I topped out at 14khz. Go figure.

Perhaps moods, time of day etc affect our high frequency hearing.

50yrs.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
ID. said:
Yes, but when trying to sell you high resolution products that's note the aspect they push when they show the lumpy squared off wave that 44.1 kHz gives you while the higher rates give you a much smoother and more analogue wave (but didn't some manufacturers get pulled up on that and had to stop using those kinds of images in high resolution audtio advertising?).

Indeed. Counter intuitive though it is, 44.1 kHz sample rate allows you to reconstruct a 20kHz sine wave perfectly, no humps, bumps or little staircase pictures.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
17khz/18khz right now. Just turned 40 last week. Always had very sensitive hearing in the high frequencies, loads of stuff sound harsh and strident if played just a little bit too loud...

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Pedro said:
17khz/18khz right now. Just turned 40 last week. Always had very sensitive hearing in the high frequencies, loads of stuff sound harsh and strident if played just a little bit too loud...

If your musical tastes are electronic and synthesised then fair enough as that type of music can stray in to 17-18Khz. If not, and physically played instruments and vocals are sounding harsh, then you definitely need to change something in your system and/or your choice of music.

D

Deleted member 108165

insider9 said:
Not necessarily. May I ask which side of 50 you are?

59! I put it down to 14 years working in the press shop at Dagenham, (1978-92), and a love for motorbikes *biggrin*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
DougK said:
insider9 said:
Not necessarily. May I ask which side of 50 you are?

59! I put it down to 14 years working in the press shop at Dagenham, (1978-92), and a love for motorbikes *biggrin*
Nothing to worry about in that case, it's only natural.

Yep. Slow decay of the body and mind. Regressing into childhood, the growing of hair in the most unusual places.

These are just a few things you can look forward to and I'm not too far behind you.

Happy weekend.

D

Deleted member 108165

drummerman said:
Yep. Slow decay of the body and mind. Regressing into childhood, the growing of hair in the most unusual places.

These are just a few things you can look forward to and I'm not too far behind you.

Happy weekend.

*biggrin*

I'm already there with most of the above. Life is like a toilet roll... when it's new it rotates very slowly... when you get towards the end of the roll... well...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts