How good is Sonos

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Just a quick one.

I'd appreciate your opinions on the Sonos system regarding sound quality versus a CD player?

If you've added a DAC did it improve sound / which one etc?

I'm thinking about getting one with a NAS drive and ripping files in lossless as I like the versatility of my ipod and I think this is a natural progresion.

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

Well, IMO its directly comparable to CD as a source.

I've got mine attached to a NAS, upon which I've ripped all of my CD's to Apple Lossless. The quality of the output produced sounds pretty good to me. So much so, that I retired my CD player!

Can't comment on the use of a DAC as I've currently connected my ZP90 to my Onk via digi coax and directly to a pair of MA BR1's from my ZP120. Not sure my set-up (see below) would warrant a DAC, but I'm open to other's view on this.

Ketch

A

Anonymous

In the Onkyo 876 you have fitted as standard one of the best Dacs in the business. (Burr Brown)

Getting them isolated from the power supply 'noise floor' is the key to getting the best from them.

A decent Mains cable off the Tacima will improve things noticably.
Why not try a 60 day trial?

A

Anonymous

Interesting. To be honest, hadn't really thought of upgrading the mains cable from the Tacima. Hmmmm....... could be worth investigating. Any in particular ones you would recommend?

As to the original OP (apologies for the thread hijack), I'd suggest you arrange for a suitable demo of the Sonos system against your CD player. This is what I did. Spoke to the guys in my local store who ripped my CD to their instore NAS (Apple Lossless as requested) and then let me plug my CD player into the same amp to directly compare the two sources.

Needless to say, I walked out with the Sonos and I've been adding more zones ever since. :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I love my Sonos, the non-amped one in the living room is plugged into my amp via optical and sounds great, but I can't compare it to a cd player as I've never owned a decent one.

John Duncan

Andy, just seen your gear - I think the Sonos is a wonderful thing, but not convinced that the DAC in it will pass muster compared to your 192 (so yes Joel, I think in this case Arcam beats Lossless Streaming!). So you might want o factor in a reasonable quality DAC - if you do I think you'll equal or beat your current player. No, I'm not going to suggest any
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

The Sonos system is wonderful. The interface is good, it supports a range of files, and it is robust.

However, for a main HiFi source you must use a ZP80 or 90, and feed the digital output into a DAC.

Arcam are behind the times so do not make a DAC sadly. You'll have to look at standalone options.

Another option is the Cambridge Audio 840C - a CD player with a digital input.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks for all the input everyone. I think I'm going to invest but I'll have to do it a bit at a time. Sonus + NAS with DAC maybe later. Too many £££'s all in one go.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:And what CD player was that (for reference)?

In fairness, it was nothing special. Just a Cambridge Audio CD5.

A

Anonymous

I think its amazing with lossless files being played through it ive demoed the dacmagic and in my opinion beat my cyrus cd8x which was a £1000 cd player ive actually got a dac thread in the hi fi section trying to find out what one to go for but ive loved my sonos and has lead to me selling the cyrus!

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
flairdj:I think its amazing with lossless files being played through it ive demoed the dacmagic and in my opinion beat my cyrus cd8x which was a £1000 cd player ive actually got a dac thread in the hi fi section trying to find out what one to go for but ive loved my sonos and has lead to me selling the cyrus!

Very intresting. I'll have a look for your DAC thread. How does the Sonos sound without the DAC cause if I get one it will be without a DAC at first??

Oh just noticed your using a Buffalo Nas, I was looking at the linkstation, any hic cups etc compatability probs?? Anything I should look out for in a NAS. (I'm not very familiar with networks)

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Well a lot of people will disagree but i still thought it sounded good without one my dad loved it so much hes investing in one pretty soon too and when he heard mine it hasn't been the stages of when i was demoing a dac.

I think the Buffalo works very well havent had any issues with it using it with my mac and has worked perfectly out of the box! I set it up in a RAID configuration but also backed it up on a seperate drive i had knocking about that ive left at my sisters i know some would say a little over the top but keeps me happy!

If you are worried there is a list on the sonos site of compatible NAS drives could be worth a look but the entire set up is an absolute doddle to set up.

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Andy H- I got mine from eBay and saved a considerable amount of money! Not for everyone but if you want the name of the vendor I am more than happy to supply it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts