How easy is it to overdrive speakers???????????

munchpants

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Before I return my Monitor Audio BR2 speakers for possible repair and cost I would be grateful if anyone could advise of the likelihood that I have OVERDRIVEN the speakers.

I have the Denon PMA-700AE AMP and having broken in the speakers I have only ever had them over half volume on one occasion. This lasted on and off for approx 2 hours and although initially I had the amp on source direct I ultimately reduced the bass to nil to avoid damage. I now have one speaker making a sort of hissing/scraping noise when I turn the volume up over a quarter power or when I introduce increased bass.

As only 1 speaker is affected I am just looking for your thoughts on whether it is more likely to be down to a fault or being overdriven. The repair bill is approx. £100 including post/package so I am keen to establish if the warranty is likely to kick in.

Many Thanks

Mark

A

Anonymous

Sounds like a damaged tweeter if it distorts by hissing, i did this to a pair of Quad 11Ls, are the BR2's biwired? If so, remove the metal plates by the binding posts so you can find out whether the tweeter is knackered, then switch speakers etc. If it is the same speaker distorting, it is more than likely you will need to replace the tweeter, if under warranty you should be able to get a new one sent to you through the post in a couple of days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts