How does the ABT scaler in the Denon AVR-2310 compare to the HQV in the DVD-3930 and the 3800BD?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a dvd/bluray player and a reciever to replace my current setup. I don't have problems with buying last years models etc, just interested in performance. My question is this:

What would give better performance with normal dvd's?

1) Using the upscaler on the 2310 and using a 2500bt to pass the original signal through to it

2) Using a 2809 and connecting it with a good upscaling dvd player like the 3930 or the 3800BD (I understand that the HQV is better than the 2809 solution)

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Many thanks,

Simon

A

Anonymous

Simon - good question, and one I have been trying to resolve for a little while now, So, what is the better: Anchor Bay ABT2010, or the Silicon Optix Realta HQV? Unfortunately, I have not been in a position to do any side-by-side comparisons.

My main concern is that I often think that it is more the sum of all the parts for a particular product, rather than simply a comparison between the ABT & HQV. I say this as the Denon 3800BD gets a great write-up in most reviews, including its HQV capabilities, yet the review of the Marantz UD8004 Blu-Ray player in this month's WHF (cost £2.5K) gets five stars and uses the ABT2010 and not the HQV. So, based on this should the Denon AVR-2310 (ABT2010) outshine the Denon 3800BD Blu-Ray (HQV)? I somehow think not, as the higher-end Denon AVRs use the Realta HQV chip.

For me, and based on the Denon 3800BD review in the link below, I would go for this blu-ray player based on its overall build quality and Realta HQV integration and pass it through the AV, and go for the Denon AVR-23120 that has the ABT2310 and use this to upscale my Sky+HD SD channels. I am tempted to go for a high-spec Denon AVR that has the Realta HQV, but will I see a big enough difference in the upscaling and / or is the much higher price justified when connected to KEF KHT3005SE speakers (and would the higher power rating be too much)?

Here is the 3800BD link:

LINK REMOVED - House Rules

Any more thoughts from the Forum?

Paul.

A

Anonymous

Excuse the typos in my previous reply in the last paragraph:

'....and go for the Denon AVR-23120 that has the ABT2310... '

should read: '....and go for the Denon AVR-2310 that has the ABT2010 ....'

A

Anonymous

Hi Paul,

Ended up getting a 2310 as I was offered one for a great price. Am currently using a PS3 slim as a dvd player until I can decide what to get. As it stands at the moment, I've tried the upscaler in the PS3 and the upscaler on the amp and I prefer the amp.

It's only on my 32" LCD at the moment, but it's full HD and I was sitting pretty close lol

As for dvd/blu-ray player, I can see myself getting the 3800BD. OK, it's a little more expensive, but I can semi-justify it to myself by saying it should be pretty good as a cd player. As I'm limited on space, I need something thats's great with dvd's (whether it's as good as the 3930, I'm still can't find a definitive answer), awesome with blu-rays and does a pretty decent job at playing cd's.

Sounds like a 3800BD then! :)

As soon as I get one, I'll do a comparison and let you know.

All the best,

Simon

A

Anonymous

Simon - good luck with the 3800BD, and it would be great to hear your opinion.

If you ever upgrade your TV to a bigger screen, let me know how the 2310 upscales compared to the new TV's native upscaler.

Also, how is the 2310 sound and what speakers do you have?

Paul.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts