How does glass affect acoustics?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Good afternoon ~ I am considering placing some speakers in my conservatory and I was wondering how the acoustics would sound. I intend to have the speakers facing into the conservatory which is 1/3 brick at the bottom with the rest glass including the roof.

Any ideas?

PS I haven't bought the speakers yet so that raises another question.

A

Anonymous

Ah - good question.

Half the room is conservatory (extension) and half is a room in the house. The external wall has been knocked through to create a complete space of 11ft wide by 20ft long. Personally I don't favour long rooms but I didn't want to knock my house down
emotion-4.gif

And yes the glass roof is toughend. The sound insualtion is fairly good.

A

Anonymous

I must add that I intend to put the speakers halfway down the room facing into the conservatory.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
glass tends to reflect higher frequencies, while bass tends to pass through it. if the music is loud enough the glass will act as a bass trap by vibrating.

speakers half way down the room might not work very well, you might end up with no bass.

A

Anonymous

Craig M.: if the music is loud enough the glass will act as a bass trap by vibrating.

Hmmm... The movie "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" springs to mind...

A

Anonymous

i shouldnt worry too much about the glass - its effect will be quite transparent...

... well someone had to :-/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts