How do you know if an image is copyrighted?

idc

I like pictures with text, it keeps me awake and I cannot read. I thought that if an image ended with 'jpeg' and did not say copyright then you were OK, but that may be wrong. So, what should I look for to identify if an image is copyrighted or not? Thanks.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

As I understand it, every pic is copyright of the artist/photographer.

The artist/photographer may waive that right under certain conditions I.E. free to use for personal use. Commercial use may incur a charge.

There is a limit where the copyright will expire and the image is then free to use. If memory serves me correctly it's 50 years (possibly after death of copyright holder).

There may be a watermark on an image you see on a www site - this can only be removed by the owner - possibly at cost.

If you are looking for a particular image or type, search for copyright free images. Nothing to worry about if you use them.

jpeg, jpg, gif, bmp, tiff and the rest are all file types and not relevant to copyright.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

idc

Thanks Cofnchtr. I am compiling a list of copyright free sites to put in my favourites. I read through various copyright information sites and they all advise to specifically state in the URL, or below the image copyrighted or else pictures on the interent are considered fair game if you follow fair dealing.

TonyHall

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
idc:advise to specifically state in the URL, or below the image copyrighted or else pictures on the interent are considered fair gameWRONG! As said previously, copyright remains with the photographer unless expressly waived for whatever reason. Just because 'copyright' isn't mentioned does NOT mean you can steal that picture. Obviously, no one is likely to care if you downloaded the image and used it as a desktop (for example); but if you want to use it on a website or in a printed publication or print it out, frame it and sell it etc etc, then you should obtain consent from the photographer (which may mean you'll have to pay for it).

Hope that clarifies things a little.

Cheers,
Tony

idc

Hi Tony. The quote you used was me paraphrasing advice (correctly spelled this time!) given by more than one site as to ways to make it clear where an image is subject to copyright, or else the risk is that such images are considered fair game. Which as you say is wrong.

One of the first times I tried googling for pictures by typing 'pictures of expensive hifi' to find a nice picture of something interesting, I found one of my own pictures of my set up. I did not give permission for that image to be taken from this forum and put onto the web for all to see. But I did not mind as I have no intention of using the picture to make money. So, wrongly I assumed that unless it otherwise said, such images were free to be used. After all, my image was being freely used without even my knowledge. I now know better. But shouldn't google have asked if they could use my image? Surely it works both ways? (Probably not!)

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi idc,

I think you are getting a smidge confused.

You asked Google to search for pictures and it found yours. It then displayed it within your search parameters.

Google did not place it on the net for all to see - you did when you added it within this forum. Anyone can read the forums at WHFSV so anyone can see it. It therefore follows that someone could use the picture without your knowledge in any way they want to. A watermark through the picture is the easy way to protect your images.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

idc

My understanding is that my picture has copyright automatically with it. But since I have chosen not to mark it as copyrighted, is it not the case that I have implicitly declared that I do not intend to enforce copyright, make any money from it and I do not mind if it appears elsewhere? Or am I getting this wrong again. (Well not much success in getting this right so far!).

A

Anonymous

idc:My understanding is that my picture has copyright automatically with it. But since I have chosen not to mark it as copyrighted, is it not the case that I have implicitly declared that I do not intend to enforce copyright, make any money from it and I do not mind if it appears elsewhere? Or am I getting this wrong again. (Well not much success in getting this right so far!).

idc, the first part is correct. It is your copyright, and remains yours. However, if the picture has been published by you on the web, then a Google search will pick it up and display it. I just tried a quick search on my name (in the name of research only! :)) and Google threw up photos from my Flickr site, to which I own the copyright.

I'm sure that somewhere in Google's T&Cs they have a disclaimer, otherwise they would be infringing copyright on virtually every image they displayed as the results of a search. They could probably claim that it was fair use as they reflect web content.

But, if you find that someone is using your image as content for their website, then you are within your rights to ask them to remove it, or pay you for its use.

An exception to this would be if you had published the image under a Creative Commons license, allowing use as you specified under the license.

idc

Hi Gary. I read about the US fair use and the UK fair dealing regarding copyright. Me finding a picture of a Bang & Olufsen for a thread on hifi looks/style or Monty Python stuff for a humerous comment does appear to be covered by fair use, but not fair dealing. i have always avoided obviously copyrighted images (though sometimes I have got it wrong), but from now on I will stick to the royalty/copyright free sites.

(I hope I can find a copyright free pictures of Bang & Olufsen, Monty Python and Lysette Antony or else I am stuffed!)

A

Anonymous

idc:
Hi Gary. I read about the US fair use and the UK fair dealing regarding copyright. Me finding a picture of a Bang & Olufsen for a thread on hifi looks/style or Monty Python stuff for a humerous comment does appear to be covered by fair use, but not fair dealing. i have always avoided obviously copyrighted images (though sometimes I have got it wrong), but from now on I will stick to the royalty/copyright free sites.

(I hope I can find a copyright free pictures of Bang & Olufsen, Monty Python and Lysette Antony or else I am stuffed!)

Hi idc, are you wanting to us the images for your own use or would you ever publish them on the web?
If it's the former, then no-one's going to mind. If the latter, then it would depend on the context in which you used them. If, for example, you produced a listing site that used the images to show a list of sites you liked, or products you liked, then I doubt anyone would worry. To make sure that you don't upset anyone, then include a clause on the site saying something along the lines that you acknowledge copyright and that it remains that of the owner - in that case, I doubt anyone is going to mind. I'd be OK with it if you were linking to an image of one of my products. If, however, you were representing the products for sale, or making commercial gain, then the rules change - considerably.
hth
Gary

idc

Gary, it is purely to put pictures on this forum to illustrate jokes, comments and points I am making.

EDITED BY MODS - please do not discuss moderation

The intention has always been to humour, educate and brighten up this forum. Profit and commercial gain do not come in to it at all.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
i know the technology to prevent copying (by right clicking etc) exists, and wouldnt be surprised if the technology to stop people saving images exists too, if people are really that bothered. its a wonder it isnt done more often.

idc

Al, images from newspapers such as the Sun and the Mail have such a function, so I tend not to go there for the pictures, only the informative words.
emotion-4.gif

I have now signed up to flickr so hopefully can post my own images........

3501697711_86eba73365_m.jpg

.....yipee, it worked. Image copyrighted by idcphotos, all rights reserved, any unauthorised copying will result in certain imprisonment and access only to music by James Last and his Orchestra.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts