How do I connect a tube buffer stage between my preamp and power amp?

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Dear All,

I've just ordered a Yaqin cd-3 tube buffer, having read so many rave reviews online. I've heard the best way to connect it is between the preamp and power amp. So correct me if I am wrong but how I plan to connect is by using the preamp's output into the yaqin's input and the yaqin's output to the power amp's output. Is this correct?

Regards,

Shafin

Had never heard of this particular product until I read your post. Looked on eBay and as the name implies it seems intended to buffer a source not a preamp - which should not need it.

I would try with your cdp first, using the same principles of connection. You realise these mostly add pleasant distortion and don't actually improve anything?

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I second nopiano's post. Shafesk unless you have some severe impedance mismatch between your source and preamp or preamp and power amp you don't need any buffer stages in between.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys, well I'm hoping that it will add more than some nice tube distortion, actually I was hoping it would solve impedance issues between my icon audio tube preamp and audiolab 8000 power amp.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
supposing your Icon Audio preamp is LA4 I can't see any impedance mismatch between the components. LA4 has output impedance of 100 Ohms (according to manufacturer's specs) and Audiolab 8000p imput impedance of 47k Ohms (clicky). this is indeed a very healthy combination.

as a rule of thumb you should seek components with as low output impedance as possibble and as high corresponding input impedance as possible. all is relative but definitely avoid mating anything with Zout > 1000 Ohms with anything with Zin < 10 000 Ohms. hope this helps.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I think it is the wright way to connect, but what different sound do you want to have ? To me it seems that it could give you some (softer) tube-sound, but not that real clear soundstagedepth that a tube-amp can give you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts