How close to the front wall is best for Spendor A6

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Spendors and I am trying different distances from the front wall ( the short one behind the speakers)

25-30 cms gives strong bass at the expense of the treble.80 -90 cms gives a brighter, rather forward sound, but not always better.

How does one decide,you can get used to either one after a couple of days and always wonder if you've got it wrong.

I would like to use live music as a standard but lets face it I dont know how an orchestra would sound in MY living room....

Any Spendor owners out there have some recommendations?

Room is 6m x 4.5 m.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
NICE speakers!

Nice size room for them.

What kit have you got powering them? Sources and amp?

Give them a while to run in, a few days, weeks even.

You have tried in between the distances you say?

What do they sound like at 60cm?

A

Anonymous

And don't forget toe-in of the speakers, and adjusting the rake also!

edit: Cno beat me to it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't own A6s, but a few more details of your room might help:

- How is it furnished?
- Is the floor suspended?
- What is on the floor (wood/carpet)?
- Are the speakers on spikes/using spike shoes?
- Are they toed in?

There are no hard and fast rules, as rooms and personal taste differ. The bass needs to be tight and underpin the music, and the treble needs to be clear and precise (tweeters preferably at ear height)...Try to sit as far back from the speakers, as they are apart (ie. Forming an equilateral triangle).

Trust your judgement and play about until you get them sounding right to your ears, with the majority of your music.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would say if your music tastes involve a fair amount of heavy bass, bring them further out into the room and get used to that. If you get used to them close to the wall and then you start listening to music with heavy bass, it'll sound bloated and veil the soundstage. Obviously, you don't want to pull them out so far that music with virtually no bass at all sounds like the bass player has gone for a break. It's up to you to find the point you're happy with.

Dont toe them in too much though, the Spendors don't need it.

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Trust your judgement and play about until you get them sounding right to your ears, with the majority of your music.

Thanks for the comments and advice. My living room 6M x 4.5 M has a suspended wood floor with a large rug covering about 1/2th of the area.

After an hour or more of trials I have narrowed it down to 40cms from the front wall( firms up bass, reduces digital glare, but sound is slightly recessed) or 50 cms from the front ( less bass, slight edge to the treble on violins but a more forward, open sound).Toe in to my chair emphasises treble, straight ahead reduces it. I am astonished at how much difference a few cms makes. Of course Ive read about it but I didnt expect it to happen so clearly . I will try one position for a few days and then switch to the other and see which works best for my music most of the time.Clearly there is no correct answer!!!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
rrm said:
Thanks for the comments and advice. My living room 6M x 4.5 M has a suspended wood floor with a large rug covering about 1/2th of the area.

After an hour or more of trials I have narrowed it down to 40cms from the front wall( firms up bass, reduces digital glare, but sound is slightly recessed) or 50 cms from the front ( less bass, slight edge to the treble on violins but a more forward, open sound).Toe in to my chair emphasises treble, straight ahead reduces it. I am astonished at how much difference a few cms makes. Of course Ive read about it but I didnt expect it to happen so clearly . I will try one position for a few days and then switch to the other and see which works best for my music most of the time.Clearly there is no correct answer!!!

Exactly right...there are few definitive answers in this most subjective of hobbies.

As the floor is suspended, you will probably need a Granite slab (eg. Argos worktop saver) under the speakers, to help isolate it from the floor (you will then need spike shoes - which can be made from 1Ps)....this should help tighten up the bass.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts