is the spendor D7 too bright for the exposure integrated?

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I 've enjoyed my Spendor A6 for about four years but have a chance to get a pair of Spendor D7s which have always coveted. I haven't heard them however-the nearest dealer is too many miles away- and I hear reports of them being lean and bright with an incisive treble. My A6s sounded quite mellow until recently when I changed my amp to an Exposure 3010s2D and cables to DNM ;now the A6s sound a bit bright.

If the D7 is brighter than the A6 it could well be a bad match . Any thoughts as to how the D7s will sound?

I am open to changing the amp to match the D7 if that would give a non-fatiguing tonal balance-but which amp?

rrm said:
I 've enjoyed my Spendor A6 for about four years but have a chance to get a pair of Spendor D7s which have always coveted. I haven't heard them however-the nearest dealer is too many miles away- and I hear reports of them being lean and bright with an incisive treble. My A6s sounded quite mellow until recently when I changed my amp to an Exposure 3010s2D and cables to DNM ;now the A6s sound a bit bright.

If the D7 is brighter than the A6 it could well be a bad match . Any thoughts as to how the D7s will sound?

I am open to changing the amp to match the D7 if that would give a non-fatiguing tonal balance-but which amp?

Interesting, did you audition the amp before purchase?

I would call the D7 toneally neutral as I consider the Exposure amps to be the same I would say you're OK.

What worries me is you now think the A6 is bright.... you are really going to have to audition or bit the bullet if you can get them for a really good price that would enable you to sell them on without loss if you don't get on with them.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

This idea of brightness in hi Fi is overused I think. A bright hi Fi is just one with way too much treble. They don’t design speakers to be bright. And my view of the spendor d7 is they are quite smooth, wouldn’t say tonally neutral as they get out lots of bass, but on the treble side they are not ott.

QuestForThe13thNote said:
This idea of brightness in hi Fi is overused I think. A bright hi Fi is just one with way too much treble. They don’t design speakers to be bright. And my view of the spendor d7 is they are quite smooth, wouldn’t say tonally neutral as they get out lots of bass, but on the treble side they are not ott.

As you say,neither do they design them to be bass heavy. It is, as the OP needs to realise, going to be more related to where and how said speakers are positioned rather than the amp that is used to drive them. And, of course, the OPs acuity of hearing, which I cannot comment on.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

They do design them to bass heavy relatively speaking with a big box like that and double bass drivers even if one of them is passive? As opposed to a smaller cabinet and smaller drivers. If you don’t really want bass you wouldn’t be buying a speaker of this type in the d7

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
This idea of brightness in hi Fi is overused I think.

Perceived brightness is (imo) the single biggest factor that stops people enjoying their systems....and has them posting on here for help.

gasolin

CnoEvil said:

Perceived brightness is (imo) the single biggest factor that stops people enjoying their systems....and has them posting on here for help.

Yes brightness can be a problem althought it also can be a problem when your getting older, mabye the new amp also have less bass,more dry sound?

They don't seem to be bright https://www.stereophile.com/content/spendor-d7-loudspeaker-measurements

Are your current speakers angled towards you?

Are the speakers close to a wall?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Agree with you here on this one. Cause people use advice as a buying guide instead of using as shortlist. One man's meat and all that.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
rrm said:

Go on - buy them! If you don't like them I might be interested in taking them off you *biggrin*

​On a serious note, I have heard the D7's at the Bristol Show and was really smitten by them. But they are quite a bit bigger than the A6's and you would really need to hear them yourself and in your room. Is your room large enough for them?

​Edit - just dug out my impressions posted back at the time (Feb 17). I was not alone in liking them either, several posters also mentioned them.

What immediately struck me about the sound was both the clarity and the power of the bass being generated - at first I thought there were monster power amplifiers hidden behind the screen. So I asked and was told that it was only the single Auralic amplifier (I think the Auralic Polaris Wireless Streaming Amplifier @ 120w into 8ohms). They just seemed effortlessly powerful and clear. I did not get the same feeling from the Spendor D9's playing in the next room, or the £8000 Dali Epcion 6's that were very smooth but a bit polite.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I always think a bright system is one which is way over the top with treble and horrible, but people sometimes say a system is bright but quite often mean too much treble, which isn’t the same thing.

If you have a bright system or one with too much treble that you aren’t happy with it’s often just not doing such things as trialling stuff at home.

They do design them to bass heavy relatively speaking with a big box like that and double bass drivers even if one of them is passive? As opposed to a smaller cabinet and smaller drivers. If you don’t really want bass you wouldn’t be buying a speaker of this type in the d7

I'd suggest you hear them before commenting as I am sure you haven't.

gasolin said:
CnoEvil said:

Yes brightness can be a problem althought it also can be a problem when your getting older, mabye the new amp also have less bass,more dry sound?

They don't seem to be bright https://www.stereophile.com/content/spendor-d7-loudspeaker-measurements

Are your current speakers angled towards you?

Are the speakers close to a wall?

+1

Try repositioning the A6s, they are decent speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts