what amplifier for spendor D7

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Am considering the purchase of the D7. Its quite a leap financially and I am wondering what amp would make the best partnership ( budget up to 2K)

A dealer is keen on Exposure and Naim but I was wondering if I need a lot of power or would valves ( 30-40W) be adequate for a variety of music, though not heavy rock.

Any recommendations would be appreciated

iceman16

rrm said:
Am considering the purchase of the D7. Its quite a leap financially and I am wondering what amp would make the best partnership ( budget up to 2K)

A dealer is keen on Exposure and Naim but I was wondering if I need a lot of power or would valves ( 30-40W) be adequate for a variety of music, though not heavy rock.

save n save MfF ams 35i

rrm said:

Problem is the amp that'll make the most of the Spendors is way over budget. Also the more affordable Spendors I've heard (SA-1 and A5) have quite dark presentation, so striking a balance could prove tricky if you don't have many dealers close by.

Try and listen to PMC Twenty series (23 could be a good option). They'll offer flexibility in terms of amp matching.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've always found that Spendors work very well with Sugden amps.

Perhaps the A21SE or if funds permit, the Masterclass Integrated?

Provided of course, you don't mind the heat output from these class A amps, and you don't play very loud.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
I auditioned both the D7 and A6r side by side and I would consider the D7 to be the more neutral of the two, so there shouldn't be too much problem matching with an amplifier with slightly warmer presentation. While some here may knock valve or hybrid amps because of their higher colouration and distortion compared to solid state amps, I would recommend that you try one of the Unison Research Unico models (which one you choose will depend on your budget but they should all fit within your 2k budget). I had the original Unison Research Unico before driving a pair of B&W 805s and I can vouch that it's a lovely amp, and would think that it would make a good match for the D7. I think the higher power rating of the Unico vs the Sugden mentioned above would also work out better driving the D7.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
This Ex demo Electrocompaniet ECI5 mk2 is going for a very good price and there is probably room for price negotiation . :)

It should do the job perfectly .

If you ask Mike and Caroline they may let you try at home before you buy !

http://www.audiodestination.co.uk/used-products/electrocompaniet-eci-5-mkii-integrated-amplifier-very-low-use

Agree with cnoevils list and the Creek however you need to audition the D7's in your own house first before worrying about something that will drive them. (They are fairly easy to drive so a decent valve amp would work) You'd also have to ensure that the amp had all the facilities you might eventually need (phono stage if you want one etc.)

Totally left-field maybe but if you also want digital inputs then I'd strongly suggest the Hegel H80.

PEAYEL

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
Please don't ignore Cyrus. I have auditioned my Cyrus 8DAC with the D7 and they can really sing, especially if you add the psx. If you look around second hand you will be able to get power amps and a preamp in your budget. I will be honest in that I think that the 8DAC + psxr sounded and rocked better to my ears than the pre/power that I heard, all Cyrus of course.

If Cyrus is not your bag, then I would j go for electrocompaniet, as I lover the sound of their amps with D7s, be careful and make sure that you get a matching cable that will keep the speakers singing nice and brightly.

Good hunting my friend.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts