My setups sounds too bright, Kimber or Nordost?

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys.

After somewhat of a hifi journey, i have finally (i think) found my system. It is kef ls50 and the new Marantz Hd amp 1, it really did magic on my ls50´s. My speaker cables are nordost red dawn. Eventhough my systems sounds good, it is a bit bright though. i have heard that kimber 8tc, would brighten/smoothen my system a bit down in a good way, and still keep the details and air i have now.

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

It has to be said, that i prefer a opener, brighter, detailed system than a really warm one.

iceman16

Chr78 said:
Hi guys.

After somewhat of a hifi journey, i have finally (i think) found my system. It is kef ls50 and the new Marantz Hd amp 1, it really did magic on my ls50´s. My speaker cables are nordost red dawn. Eventhough my systems sounds good, it is a bit bright though. i have heard that kimber 8tc, would brighten/smoothen my system a bit down in a good way, and still keep the details and air i have now.

It has to be said, that i prefer a opener, brighter, detailed system than a really warm one.

Can you try Tellurium Q black?

TrevC

iceman16 said:
Chr78 said:
Hi guys.

Can you try Tellurium Q black?

He's wasted more than enough on pointless foo. How about a sensible suggestion? I would suggest balancing things out with a BK sub.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Chr78 said:

You cant balance much with cable, it makes a very small difference so youll end up spending and having a bright system again. the ls50 is IMO a bright and clear hifi style speaker. I would put at least 100 watts to get a better bass. You should rather try something like proac studio 118 for balanced pleasant sound.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
pyrrhon said:
Chr78 said:
After somewhat of a hifi journey, i have finally (i think) found my system. It is kef ls50 and the new Marantz Hd amp 1, it really did magic on my ls50´s. My speaker cables are nordost red dawn. Eventhough my systems sounds good, it is a bit bright though. i have heard that kimber 8tc, would brighten/smoothen my system a bit down in a good way, and still keep the details and air i have now.?

You cant balance much with cable, it makes a very small difference so youll end up spending and having a bright system again. the ls50 is IMO a bright and clear hifi style speaker. I would put at least 100 watts to get a better bass. You should rather try something like proac studio 118 for balanced pleasant sound. 

Kef r300?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Try changing the angling and then position of the speakers.

+1. Start with a firm toe-in.

And some carpet and/or tapestry at the right spot might work wonders too (use a mirror to find the spots: the first reflection points).

I have the LS50s myself. They are not bright (in my room, with my source and amp).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you believe cables make a difference, I would also suggest TQ Black.....make sure it can be returned if it doesn't deliver what you are looking for.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
abacus said:
Just turn the treble control down, thats what its there for.

Bill

Exactly, try smallest possible decrease at the treble end and if needed an increase at the bass end too, give the amplifier a very gentle overall down tilt.

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
iceman16 said:
can you try Tellurium Q black?

I tried the Tellurium Q Black, but found it transparent but unforgiving. In comparison I found the slightly more expensive Tellurium Q Blue Diamond (the old "Green") did reduce an existing brightness. But of course every system and situation is unique - specific listening is only way to know.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
abacus said:

Bill

Exactly, try smallest possible decrease at the treble end and if needed an increase at the bass end too, give the amplifier a very gentle overall down tilt.

it depends on the amp, but I usually find the treble control is too low to fix brightness and the bass control is too high to fix in room boom.

Lose the Nordost

TrevC

ID. said:
davedotco said:
abacus said:

Bill

it depends on the amp, but I usually find the treble control is too low to fix brightness and the bass control is too high to fix in room boom.

Lose the Nordost

The Nordost is made up of 20 strands of 28 AWG silver plated cable. This makes it slightly worse resistance wise than the bog standard 2mm stranded tinned copper stuff used on car speakers, so it will sound like that.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Imho, very thin cables can lack in high frequency energy as well as not allowing the amplifier to adequatly control bass drivers.

As the OP has small bookshelf speakers the latter will not matter to greatly plus the lack of HF extension/energy will probably help.

So, rather than going for boutique bling (nothing wrong in a well matched system ... which the OP's clearly is not) I'd plump for something like QED's Original. A thin, well made cable for a about 3 quid a meter.

Not something I'd normally recommend but it should do the job.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
ID. said:
davedotco said:
abacus said:

Bill

Lose the Nordost

The Nordost is made up of 20 strands of 28 AWG silver plated cable. This makes it slightly worse resistance wise than the bog standard 2mm stranded tinned copper stuff used on car speakers, so it will sound like that.

silver! Everyone knows silver is bright :p

everyone knows Nordost can exacerbate brightness :p

The real question is, is the OP actually using speaker cable that costs almost as much as the speakers?!?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
http://cdn.stereophile.com/images/1212KEF50fig1.jpg.

The impedance curve suggests that the biggest impact will be at the low bass end, so I would use a thicker copper multistrand cable, perhaps 6mm to err on the very safe side.

Like this.

http://tinyurl.com/jh4vgs2

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

Speakers are like musical instruments and the cables are like finely tuned strings that make them resonate with music. You can't comprehend this by looking at bunch of graphs and specs. Just buy and listen. If you are unsure of the sound, let it burn in for few months. If still unsure, upgrade to new cables next year. And we are all going to be OK!

*dance4*

TrevC

ID. said:
TrevC said:
ID. said:
davedotco said:
abacus said:

Bill

Lose the Nordost

silver! Everyone knows silver is bright :p

everyone knows Nordost can exacerbate brightness :p

The real question is, is the OP actually using speaker cable that costs almost as much as the speakers?!?

Could have bought a nice BK sub for that money, complete with Antimode eq. It would have sounded wonderful. Mine does.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts