Pioneer SC-LX85 owners - what speakers are you using for 5.1 and for stereo?

david_tring

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
Any Pioneer SC-LX85 owners out there? What speakers are you running for home theatre/stereo music?

Having replaced my previous Onkyo amp a while ago with an ‘85, I think my current 5.1 speaker package of Mission 752 Freedom fronts, Mission 77C centre and Mission M7DS plus a REL Q sub needs upgrading.

But (there’s always a but) in my 6m x 4m lounge the speakers can only go in one place. Both fronts are along the longer wall, with the left one in the corner. And they are about 6” from the wall – yes I know, I know…….but that’s where they have to be OK……..

Monitor Audio’s RX6 Silver AV12 package has had 5 star reviews here and it looked absolutely perfect - right price, excellent built quality and the surround rears were lounge-friendly (i.e. not big square boxes). I borrowed a pair of the fronts and although their detail and clarity was a real eye-opening step up from the 752s; the problem was that with Pink Floyd type rock, once the drum kit's cymbals etc kicked in most of the mid-range was drowned in splashy top!

The SC-LX85 amp is great and I'm very happy with it - but almost every reviewer seems to comment that it's "bright".

So what speakers are people using? How about KEF R500 or R700 fronts? Tannoy DC6T SE? B&W? Even Spendors if they do a matching centre?

If I can't find a suitable full 5.1 package then Plan B would be at least to buy matching fronts and a centre, plus a new sub, and keep the M7DS anyway. 75% of my listening is 2-channel stereo music, so any loss of tonal balance front to back with films would a shame but manageable.

Linnas

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I've paired LX-56 with Dali Ikon 7s and Vokal (both MK2) for centre, cannot be happier and do not find them overly bright, actually the whole sound presentation is very clear/discernible with ample bass.

david_tring

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
And thanks to all for your replies. Maybe I was too harsh to judge the MA Silvers?

I hadn't ever run the MCACC function on the amp and was suitable told-off by the dealer when I returned his speakers.......

Would using the MCACC really tame "over bright" (or whatever term we should use) top response?

David

michael hoy

david_tring said:
And thanks to all for your replies. Maybe I was too harsh to judge the MA Silvers?

I hadn't ever run the MCACC function on the amp and was suitable told-off by the dealer when I returned his speakers.......

Would using the MCACC really tame "over bright" (or whatever term we should use) top response?

David

On the Pioneer you can trim the high frequency using the X curve option.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I use rx6 av12 with my '82 and would not call them bright. Used to have mission 752 fronts also. The rx is a warmer sound than them anyway. My room is not what u would call soft either with wooden floors and not a lot of furnishings either. Take a look below

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts