How can I listen to BBC Radio 3 on an internet radio??

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
This is driving me nuts. We have no FM signal here, so I thought I'd get a Revo mondo wifi internet radio and plug it in to my hifi. I have an excellent wifi signal, and can connect to other stations, but BBC radios 3, 4, & 4 xtra just won't connect for hours on end, every few days. I've contacted Revo and the BBC both of whom basically say "ask the other" and claim not to be aware of any issues. Reciva.com, who apparently stream the data are not contactable, and have taken down the forum that used to be on their site. I can plug my laptop into my DAC and get these stations with no difficulty, but it's not convenient to use the laptop all the time. Have you any idea what the issue is here, and whether changing to a different brand of internet radio, and therefore a different source other than Reciva, would make any difference?

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Can't help with the Revo but if BBC radio is you main requirement, you may be better off with Freeview or satellite depending on how you receive your TV.

Logitech's Squeezebox range do Internet radio as well but it's not unknown for their servers to go down either.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Can you input the URL you're using on the laptop directly into the Revo rather than use the Reciva portal?

If you are a Radio 3 listener, you'll really want the 320kbps 'HD' stream. AFAIK, this is only available on an PC or using Squeezebox with the iPlayer plugin.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I too, am having trouble with several BBC radio stations when streaming via TuneIn to my Cyrus StreamXP. At first all worked well, then the BBC stations disappeared, now they are back but the metadata is missing and they are at unlistenable low bit rates of 55kbps. I have been in contact with Cyrus and TuneIn who have been working on the problem for several weeks. All is not well with BBC streaming services over certain systems and to certain areas.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Crocodile said:
Can't help with the Revo but if BBC radio is you main requirement, you may be better off with Freeview or satellite depending on how you receive your TV.

Logitech's Squeezebox range do Internet radio as well but it's not unknown for their servers to go down either.

Thanks for the suggestion, but as with the laptop, I don't want to have to turn on the TV to listen to the radio. Also, the TV is some way from the hifi and would need a long cable to connect up. It's useful to hear that Logitech's servers are also unreliable. Internet radio clearly isn't 'as advertised'.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Crocodile said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but as with the laptop, I don't want to have to turn on the TV to listen to the radio. Also, the TV is some way from the hifi and would need a long cable to connect up. It's useful to hear that Logitech's servers are also unreliable. Internet radio clearly isn't 'as advertised'.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
amcluesent said:
Can you input the URL you're using on the laptop directly into the Revo rather than use the Reciva portal?

If you are a Radio 3 listener, you'll really want the 320kbps 'HD' stream. AFAIK, this is only available on an PC or using Squeezebox with the iPlayer plugin.

I don't think it's possible to input the URL on the Revo. If it is, someone tell me how!

When the Revo's working, I'm getting the HD stream alright, anything from 300 to 465Kbs, and it sounds superb.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
amcluesent said:

I don't think it's possible to input the URL on the Revo. If it is, someone tell me how!

When the Revo's working, I'm getting the HD stream alright, anything from 300 to 465Kbs, and it sounds superb.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Crossie said:
I too, am having trouble with several BBC radio stations when streaming via TuneIn to my Cyrus StreamXP. At first all worked well, then the BBC stations disappeared, now they are back but the metadata is missing and they are at unlistenable low bit rates of 55kbps. I have been in contact with Cyrus and TuneIn who have been working on the problem for several weeks. All is not well with BBC streaming services over certain systems and to certain areas.

Thanks for your post. There's clearly an issue with BBC streaming service, which I will continue to pursue with them if only I can work out who to contact, or when I do find someone, they don't reply with the suggestion that I take it up with my ISP or the radio manufacturer. Many people have reported problems with BBC streams, surely they can offer some solution or comment on the matter?

PS Sorry I seem to have made some double posts. No idea how.

A

Anonymous

Internet Radio Streaming is already taking off. It enables users to choose gadgets that can play various computing apps like iTunes, Napster and many Online Radio stations on other gadgets like the ones in this list.AirPlay is a protocol developed by Apple that allows devices to wirelessly stream audio, video, and photos. Apple has begun to license the audio-streaming portion of the technology for use in third-party devices.Other companies have come with similar technologies. Some of the Hi Fi systems are purposely built to connect to multiple Online services. See this site for a list of Hi Fi's that are revolutionising streaming radio.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts