How can I improve the treble?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I want to improve how my system sounds- it's lacking the finesse and detail in the higher frequencies(treble)- any ideas?

Project Genie Turntable with Ortofon 2M red cartridge
Roksan Kandy LIII intergrated amplifier
Arcam CD93 - cd player
Neat Motive 2 speakers
RA Ultra Purifier- sits on top of the CD93
Quantum Symphony- sits above the amp
Chord Chameleon Silver plus interconnect (between cd player & amp)
Brilliance Synergy interconnect (between TT & amp)
RA Inline attenuators (-14db)
Chord Carnival Silverscreen bi-wire speaker cables
RA Signature powerchord (cd player)
RA classic powerchords (the amp & the rest of the other devices)
RA Silencer block
RA supersocket (dual)
RA Megacube
RA Electro clear plug
RA The Silencer plug

John Duncan

Phew...not much to criticise there really, apart from maybe the tweeter in those motives. But you only just got those, so you probably don't want to get rid.

Only thing I can suggest is something that's maybe a little more smooth in the amp department (Marantz PM7001 springs to mind first up, maybe a valve jobbie), looking at other speakers (PMC GB1i for starters, or a very neutral monitor like the spendor 3a thingie), or - and I can't believe I'm saying this - maybe an Arcam amp will round things out a bit?

A

Anonymous

Put the turntable, RA stuff, cd player and amp on ebay. Buy Rega to replace the Pro-ject and Naim to replace the rest.

May not give you the finesse and detail you want, but you'll stop worrying about it because it'll sound so good.ÿ

John Duncan

Tarquinh:
Put the turntable, RA stuff, cd player and amp on ebay. Buy Rega to replace the Pro-ject and Naim to replace the rest.

May not give you the finesse and detail you want, but you'll stop worrying about it because it'll sound so good.ÿ

..there is that of course...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Or get some speakers that have really rough bass and midrange too.

The treble will be nice and balanced then.

(Can you subtitle this thread... "the trouble with trebles"?)

Ta.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:

May not give you the finesse and detail you want, but you'll stop worrying about it because it'll sound so good.

Sounds like a plan. I may do that too....

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
gbhsi1:I want to improve how my system sounds- it's lacking the finesse and detail in the higher frequencies(treble)- any ideas?

Project Genie Turntable with Ortofon 2M red cartridge
Roksan Kandy LIII intergrated amplifier
Arcam CD93 - cd player
Neat Motive 2 speakers
RA Ultra Purifier- sits on top of the CD93
Quantum Symphony- sits above the amp
Chord Chameleon Silver plus interconnect (between cd player & amp)
Brilliance Synergy interconnect (between TT & amp)
RA Inline attenuators (-14db)
Chord Carnival Silverscreen bi-wire speaker cables
RA Signature powerchord (cd player)
RA classic powerchords (the amp & the rest of the other devices)
RA Silencer block
RA supersocket (dual)
RA Megacube
RA Electro clear plug
RA The Silencer plug

Is it with both sources?

John Duncan

chebby:Tarquinh:

May not give you the finesse and detail you want, but you'll stop worrying about it because it'll sound so good.

Sounds like a plan. I may do that too....

Bl--dy hippies...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:
Bl--dy hippies...

NACA5 to that!

My entire collection is a hippie free zone. (Except 'Land of Grey & Pink' 'cos I have a thing for that Mellotron and Hammond sound.)

matthewpiano

chebby:
JohnDuncan:
Bl--dy hippies...

NACA5 to that!

My entire collection is a hippie free zone. (Except 'Land of Grey & Pink' 'cos I have a thing for that Mellotron and Hammond sound.)

Class album that. One of my favourites in fact.

Back to the sell it all and buy Naim plan...... Sounds like a good move to me. Naim is what I'll upgrade to if I ever have any money!!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:gbhsi1:I want to improve how my system sounds- it's lacking the finesse and detail in the higher frequencies(treble)- any ideas?Project Genie Turntable with Ortofon 2M red cartridgeRoksan Kandy LIII intergrated amplifierArcam CD93 - cd playerNeat Motive 2 speakersRA Ultra Purifier- sits on top of the CD93Quantum Symphony- sits above the ampChord Chameleon Silver plus interconnect (between cd player & amp)Brilliance Synergy interconnect (between TT & amp)RA Inline attenuators (-14db)Chord Carnival Silverscreen bi-wire speaker cablesRA Signature powerchord (cd player)RA classic powerchords (the amp & the rest of the other devices)RA Silencer blockRA supersocket (dual)RA MegacubeRA Electro clear plugRA The Silencer plugIs it with both sources?

The key question

ÿ

A

Anonymous

If you get the problem with the CDP you could try the Musical Fidelity VDAC. (My gut feeling is the tweeter but there's always things you can do to tame a wild tweeter)

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
first things first and for free - trying altering the positioning of your speakers closer/further away from walls (back and side walls) and experiement with distance betweeen them - toe in ect once you have exhausted this only then look at spending more money - how new are they and how many hours of music have you put through them

A

Anonymous

With respect to toe-in, and you may already know this, having tweeters pointed directly at you beams the high frequencies to your ears. This results in a brighter sound than when they're straight out and not pointing at you.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, pretty much both sources. Not sure if it's the speakers, cd player or vinyl player....or dare I say it...the amp! I really don't want to get rid of the speakers or amp as I have only just recently bought them. What about supertweeters? will they help?

gbhsi1:Yeah, pretty much both sources. Not sure if it's the speakers, cd player or vinyl player....or dare I say it...the amp! I really don't want to get rid of the speakers or amp as I have only just recently bought them. What about supertweeters? will they help?

Interesting this - I posted a thread earlier this year about whether more treble = better detail. I'm keen on this because when I tested Kandy LIII (courtesy of WHFI) I found compared with my A65+ the kandy had slightly improved detail, especially on the subtle high frequencies. When came to overall treble the A65+ had the edge. One can only assume, based on my own test, that amps with tone controls have better scope for (louder) treble - please bare in mind this may not apply to all tone controlless amps.

As regards super tweeters, don't have any experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts