How black can black levels get

T

theflyingwasp

Cnet has just reviewed the new Samsung 55 oled and its blacker than any plasma ,this years flagship samsung ,Sony and panasonic are all amazing plasmas but even the calibrators at the value electronics show said they were just nit picking when it came to which was best,does anyone know all the black levels on these plasmas ,or is it all just getting a bit silly.

D

Deleted member 2457

Other AV websites give measurements like this one:

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/panasonic-tx-p50vt65-p15311/test.html#full-review

0.03 seems to hit reference quality. I guess they go lower than that with new OLEDs.

T

theflyingwasp

Good link,0.03 that pretty low,I think the zt65 is 0.02 ,what was the Kuro?

D

Deleted member 2457

theflyingwasp said:
Good link,0.03 that pretty low,I think the zt65 is 0.02 ,what was the Kuro?

The Pioneer 5090 measured in at 0.03 to 0.04 (I think), the 500a is said to go deeper perhaps, but reading all the comments and reviews this year the VT65 and ZT65 measured in the best. I can't find any links to back this up at the moment though but that is what I remember reading.

D

Deleted member 2457

You definitely have the best TV around.
smiley-smile.gif

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
I think when you get down to these black levels (eg ZT vs VT vs Kuro) you have to be watching in absolute black-out conditions anyway to notice any difference, and even then the human eye would struggle to discern the difference. I can't say I've noticed the ZT being better than my old 5090 kuro in black levels, the main improvements I've noted have been around colour fidelity and picture clarity/sharpness.

Re OLEDs, even if I could justify the cost (which I couldn't) there's no way I'd want a curved screen, just seems like a gimmick that would be more of a distraction than a benefit?

T

theflyingwasp

That clears that up then :) as for the curved screen I wouldn't mind seeing one in action in the pitch black sitting right in the centre of the screen ,people on the left and right MUST be getting the short straw .

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
My understanding is that the KRPs still best the VT/ZT when it comes to MLL; though as Mr Malarky says, this is only relevant when watching in a blacked out room.

The debate as to whether the last Kuros remain reference televisions therefore rages on. If you think black level is the only important marker of image quality, the KRPs remain the reference. As stated above, however, newer televisions best the KRPs in other areas of picture performance and in terms of functionality.

Hopefully the curved screen will be consigned to history as/if OLED TVs become more affordable and widely owned. It seems more a case of "we did it because we could" and "this clearly distinguishes OLED from other panel technologies" than something that genuinely enhances the viewing experience.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Cnet has just reviewed the new Samsung 55 oled and its blacker than any plasma ,this years flagship samsung ,Sony and panasonic are all amazing plasmas

I didn't realise that Sony made plasmas, certainly I've not heard of Sony plasmas in Britain .....

mr malarky said:
I think when you get down to these black levels (eg ZT vs VT vs Kuro) you have to be watching in absolute black-out conditions anyway to notice any difference, and even then the human eye would struggle to discern the difference. I can't say I've noticed the ZT being better than my old 5090 kuro in black levels, the main improvements I've noted have been around colour fidelity and picture clarity/sharpness.

When Steve Withers was calibrating my sets, he said that there was very little between a ninth-generation Pioneer Kuro, the VT and the ZT for pure black level. And I certainly don't, and don't want to, watch in absolute black-out conditions.

mr malarky said:
Re OLEDs, even if I could justify the cost (which I couldn't) there's no way I'd want a curved screen, just seems like a gimmick that would be more of a distraction than a benefit?

That curved OLED screen is a seriously BAD IDEA, fine if you are in the middle but distorted if you are sitting to either side. About as bad an idea as the pen that Panasonic have given to owners of VT and ZT plasmas to write on their precious sets with, grrrr! |(

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
I certainly don't, and don't want to, watch in absolute black-out conditions.

I don't often, but it's nice to turn the lights off once in a while to watch a film. 3D movies are certainly best viewed in a blacked-out room, though obviously the KRPs are pre-3D televisions and the conversation becomes redundant. MLL is typically sacrificed with 3D viewing anyway. It's one of the trade-offs for the extra panel luminance 3D viewing demands.

T

theflyingwasp

Yes I doubt anyone has used that daft pen to write on their £3000 TV screen ,yes eh perhaps I should read what I post first Sony did pull out of the plasma market a while back,

I always draw the blackout curtains when watching movies ,with the sound cranked up and the room in almost complete darkness I feel you get drawn into the movie more,was at the cinema last year watching dark shadows and there was a problem with the light the first 30mins of the film was shown with the lights on it was very very weird.

As for oled ,curved oled and 4k I'm very bored of it already,it will have to take something very special for me to upgrade from the ZT ,this whole no content farce with 4k is the main reason and as for this Sony streaming service for u.s Sony 4k owners I wouldn't stream a film from my ipad to my tv let alone that for $700 ,I will just wait till there is a disc of some sort to put into my new blu/red/pink player.i also feel that someone who can actually afford the 25grand Sony 84 inch 4k TV has better things to do in life than watch movies.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
When our good friend gel started the ZT60 thread he said

gel said:
Forget Kuro black levels these are more like OLED level! 8)

and we all bought into that, for a while anyway, until the various TVs were tested side by side. Ah well. I suspect, with no real knowledge, that there is probably not much real benefit to be gained by trying to get beyond the ZT / 9th generation Kuro / VT levels of blackness, certainly not while using current plasma technology.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
When our good friend gel started the ZT60 thread he said

gel said:
Forget Kuro black levels these are more like OLED level! 8)

and we all bought into that, for a while anyway, until the various TVs were tested side by side. Ah well. I suspect, with no real knowledge, that there is probably not much real benefit to be gained by trying to get beyond the ZT / 9th generation Kuro / VT levels of blackness, certainly not while using current plasma technology.

Deepest black levels CNET have tested the ZT65:

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/tvs/panasonic-tx-p60zt65-review-50011762/

I suppose we will just have to wait for the measurements and reports on OLED TVs.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
The ZT65 doesn't best the KRPs in terms of black level. OLED TVs should edge it, if tech review sites such as AV and AVS ever get their hands on one.

I guess it comes down to opinions because they reviewed the Pioneers too:

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/tvs/pioneer-kuro-pdp-lx5090-review-49298909/

From what I understand it is about the same.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I guess it comes down to opinions because they reviewed the Pioneers too:

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/tvs/pioneer-kuro-pdp-lx5090-review-49298909/

From what I understand it is about the same.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/zt65-kuro-201305283044.htm

The KRPs still best any other plasma TV in terms of MLL, even the ZT65. That said, anti-reflective filters have improved, so the Panasonics hold onto their black level better with ambient light in the room. If you're watching in a batcave, the KRPs still take the prize.

T

theflyingwasp

If all the current flagship Tvs were £1000-£1500 I'd have no problem buying a new tv every year but at £3000-£4000 no chance .even if oled Tvs come out with absolute black levels all of us with VT's and ZT's aren't going to upgrade because they are going to cost a fortune .mr strapped for cash has the 65inch VT can you imagine how much a 75inch oled will cost ,we all want excellent picture quality but not if I have to sacrifice screen size.

if you're tv is just for television and movies the current flagship Tvs and last generation kuro are excellent.the ZT has a black level of 0.02 am I really going to upgrade to get absolute black levels for possibly £5000-£8000 .the calibrators at the value electronics even said that they were nitpicking this year to which set was the best.there wasnt a massive leap in picture quality from last years tvs .i feel the Samsung will be the best seller due to the fact it has the best day time mode .

hopefully in 2 years there will be a 75inch oled for about £3000 I doubt it but only then would I upgrade from the ZT

T

theflyingwasp

Eh mr strapped for cash has the 50inch but you know what I mean :wall:

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
'Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.'

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
hopefully in 2 years there will be a 75inch oled for about £3000

If you seriously think a technology that at present has a usable yield rate of only 10% for larger screen sizes will by two years' time produce a 75-inch display for only £3,000, you must have been consuming an impressive amount of recreational pharmaceuticals.

T

theflyingwasp

Yes I doubt it but its good to hope,the reason I said 75inch is because I've went 40,50,60 inches so I will only be upgrading to 70 and above I'm not spending almost 4grand again on a screen of the same size or 5inches more,no matter how good the reviews of black levels etc.............it may be a long wait.

D

Deleted member 2457

On YouTube there are some good OLED videos:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c0J99OuSW_I

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts