Home Cinema Surround Sound 7.1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am about to set up a home cinema in a room that is undergoing a major overhaul, including new ceiling and plaster. I want to future proof the system so was thinking of putting in 7.1 from the outset. I was planning to have wall mounted speakers at the centre and front. I am considering having ceiling mounted speakers at the side and rear. My budget for the whole system is about £5-6k.

My question is what sound system or speaker components would you recommend with in-ceiling speakers at side and rear. I am assuming that from my total budget I would be looking to spend £1000-1500 on speakers.

If anyone is able to recommend the other components to sit alongside the sound system that would be great! (Blu-ray 3D, Receiver, 3D projector)

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
You're budget will give you a fair few options, but my single piece of advice is forget about in ceiling speakers - they will compromise the quality of your surround sound system far too much. A much better option would be to use the same inwall speaker you use for the LCR, for the four surrounds (or at least a lower spec version of them).

Is your room a dedicated home cinema room?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Not sure about the other components, but with your budget you should be getting a Yamaha Aventage RX-A3010 receiver, which is a top-quality item. Stocks are disappearing like snow in June, but you an internet search should still be yield one for about £1,100, much reduced from its previous price of about £1,600 because it is about to be replaced (by the RX-A3020). And, this is another argument against fixed ceiling speakers, this Yamaha can drive nine speakers, or even 11 if you add a separate stereo amplifier. And it can drive two subwoofers also. A great machine, but it does weigh about 19 kg! You'll also see highly favourable reviews of it in What Hi-Fi and elsewhere.

A

Anonymous

Thanks.

The room is 14m long and 4.5m wide - we will be using one end of it as a home cinema - about 6m in length.

Looking at what I assume is your home cinema set-up at the bottom of the post:

How does the quality of a tensioned screen compare with a fixed screen?

A

Anonymous

Thanks.

The room is 14m long and 4.5m wide - we will be using one end of it as a home cinema - about 6m in length.

Unpublished - duplicate post

A

Anonymous

No problem with decent tensioned screens - but generally expect to pay more for a screen of the same quality than you would for a fixed screen. In-ceiling speakers make quite acceptable surround speakers if there's really no option to install in-walls or some on the wall. Take a look at the Monitor Audio C265-FX for example, great partnered with some W280-LCRs up front. Assuming your budget was for the installation speakers, or do you need a sub in that price too?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
jpm said:

It wasn't clear from your unquoted reply immediately following my posting that this question was directed at Chewy, not at me.

I had hoped that my contribution at 9:28 pm last night would be useful, but perhaps not.

A

Anonymous

Sorry. Looking in to the option you outlined. Thanks. All advice welcomed and helpful so far.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. Need a sub. Budget was for whole system and not just speakers - sorry for any confusion!

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Not sure about the other components, but with your budget you should be getting a Yamaha Aventage RX-A3010 receiver, which is a top-quality item. Stocks are disappearing like snow in June, but you an internet search should still be yield one for about £1,100, much reduced from its previous price of about £1,600 because it is about to be replaced (by the RX-A3020). And, this is another argument against fixed ceiling speakers, this Yamaha can drive nine speakers, or even 11 if you add a separate stereo amplifier. And it can drive two subwoofers also. A great machine, but it does weigh about 19 kg! You'll also see highly favourable reviews of it in What Hi-Fi and elsewhere.
If you sign up on another well known avforum you can get the Yamaha RX-A3010 for £999 that's half price of its original RRP!!! Oh in Titanium as well.

A

Anonymous

Hi, if your building from scratch I'd be tempted to just put terminals in the walls and ceiling or even floor. A front high left and right presence and rear terminals would be good.

the last thing your'll want is to set up speakers in the wrong place, terminals will give a bit of flexibility, and let's face it your not going to just build it and leave it there's going to be tweaking and upgrading aplenty.

I have a large room 10x10meters and have the rear back surround terminals under my sofa in the middle of the room and just get them out on stands when it's viewing time, very little is in 7.1 anyway so I only have them out for big blockbuster type films.

Just some ideas.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts