HMDI - Probably a stupid question, but ......

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

... your chosen AV amp/reciver has HDMI inputs and outputs. Your DVD player/recorder upscales to 1080p, does the AV receiver just throughput the 1080p signal - even if it has no built in upscaling, or only upscales to 1080i?

Since posting a topic asking about "in a box" home cinema (which no-one answered, sob), I have read the What Hi-Fi Ulimate Guide and am looking at seperates as well, so I need to know how HDMI output is handled.

For info, my DVD HDD recorder is a Panasonic DMR-EX77EB and my TV is a Panasonic TH-37PX70B

Thanks,

A

Anonymous

Best quality picture is achieved by directing the image direct from the player to the screen. However, if you have a high end receiver / amp that can decode the latest hi-def sound codecs, then you can benefit by taking the signal from the player to the amp and on to the screen.

If your receiver is not a high end one, it will just be passing the image signal through and maybe switching between them if you have more than one device. For all intents and purposes, if this is the case, you'd be as well to go straight to the screen with the picture signal. The less devices in the way of the signal, the less that can interfere with it.

A

Anonymous

Will,

Thanks for that - logical when you think about it. Now just to choose between the Onkyo TX-SR505 or the Sony STR-DA1200ES and then agonise over which speaker package!

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
If you can afford to i'd go for the Onkyo TX-SR605 you'll get better handling of the HDMI inputs rather than just a passthrough and the new HD surround sounds, it's about £150 more than the 505 - I think.

Choosing between the Onkyo TX-SR505 or the Sony STR-DA1200ES, I would go for the Sony.

A

Anonymous

...a decision on home cinema kit.

After discounting all in one systems (a short perusal of the mag and this forum convinces you of that) I am now looking at a "wife friendly" set-up. In tandem to that the budget is creeping up a bit as well (I can always cut down on luxuries such as food to to redress the balance).

I am thinking in terms of the Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver - prior to the recent reviews, the Sony STR1200ES receiver seemed a shoe in, and who can argue with Sony quality - but if a deal gets the price down to £350 for the Onkyo, then it should be the one.

OK, so now speakers - the KEF 1005s look good, will pass the "wife test" and get rave reviews, just one question, is the step up 2005s justified, or is there another style package in the same sort of price range I should be looking at?

TRENDING THREADS